Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Weight/ obese will it effect our visa?

Weight/ obese will it effect our visa?

Old Jun 30th 2018, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weight/ obese will it effect our visa?

Hi we are returning back to NZ after been back in the uk 3 years. Our residency has expired so are having to go through the process all over again.
Husband has got his work visa for 36 months and for our EOI we have 180 points. We have 3 kids aged 9, 7 and 2 so the older 2 will need to go to school.
So im trying to work out the best way for me and kids to enter NZ
1) launch EOI and me and kids enter NZ on waiver free 6 month visitor visa. Kids will be allowed 3 months schooling and hopefully we will get drawn from pool early on and ITA which would allow the kids a interim visitor visa to go to school (at least this happened last time).
2) me and youngest apply for visitor visa and other 2 children apply for student visa. Launch EOI when ready.
The only concern I have with either option is that I'm overweight. I have an underactive thyroid so struggle to lose weight, however I'm pretty sure I'm a similar weight to when we first went for residency and our medical. I have recently just had all my blood work checked and everything is fine and I don't have high blood pressure etc.
Can I fail either visa option for been overweight?
Hopecthag all makes sense.
thanks for your advice
Old Jun 30th 2018, 7:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weight/ obese will it effect our visa?

Hi, it comes down to your BMI and how awkward the medical assessor is going to be I'm afraid. If thrown back you could try for a medical waiver but that obviously is going to be an extra time and money.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply,
Do you know what they see as an acceptable BMI?
Old Jul 1st 2018, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Its a numbers game an md the computer will put everything outsode its parameters up for further assesment. BMI wise i believe it was under 35, myself and my good lady are defo bigger than that, the will want a fasting glucose and cholesterol test so maybe get these with tour initial medical, we did oir medicals as predicted were reffered but quickly cleared.