Weekly poll No. 2

Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Weekly poll No. 2

Originally Posted by Trenchfoot
This is what worries me.

We've been here since December, so all of Summer and now the start of Autumn. Obviously the temperature has been wonderful, shorts and t-shirts every day, doors and windows thrown wide open. And all the long term expats and Kiwis muttering under their breath 'you wait till winter mate'...

I fear we are going to freeze our collective arses off. The house we are renting is a typical Kiwi pad, made of paper mache and balsa wood with corrugated tin foil for a roof. So thin and lightweight are the walls in fact that when our next-door-neighbour farts we can hear Jockey-cloth ripping. And yes, houses are that packed-in on the North Shore!

Then there is the damp to look forward to as well...
It's so when this happens

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7984969.stm

you might not get so squashed. they say tin foil won't hurt as much as tiles.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:19 am
Just Joined

daisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nicedaisy blue is just really nice

Don't know.

I've just moved.

After a year in Dunedin living in a drafty shed with the mystical ability to ALWAYS be colder inside than outside. When in the house, most of last winter was spent fully clothed and hatted in bed with electric blanket on.

I await to see what Auckland brings with baited breath...
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've never quite got this rationale. NZ folks built with the materials they felt they had , not with any thought to earthquakes or otherwise. They built with what was available and cheap for them. Bugger to do with seismology . All to do with availability of materials locally. Same with being fuel efficient really. It's a catch up game but it will get there.

An earthquake is an earthquake. It doesn't matter the material , if you are caught in a bad one. You may or will get hurt.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Whilst I am sure this is true for you being a Kiwi, the average Brit should take your post with a huge pinch of salt and should expect to have to heat their homes in some way for at least six months of the year - May to October.

Anyone (even in the Winterless North) who hasn't needed to use any form of heating prior to the 1st May would be doing really well. That old line about having the heating on five times a year would have to be the single biggest myth of the so-called 'Winterless North' as far as I am concerned. It's about as much use to the average migrant, as the poster who has budget spending $28k per month.

For health and comfort, indoor temperatures should be between 18ºC and 24ºC. The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that all living and sleeping areas be maintained at a temperature of at least 16ºC (and preferably 18 ºC).

OSH Recommends offices during winter are maintained at 18 - 22 ºC

My own comfort level puts 18.5ºC as a tad on the chilly side for anything other than the briefest period and I would be then thinking of adding some extra layers and some form of heating.

This week will see the weather cooling off somewhat with an overnight low of just 8ºC predicted for Friday, which is about as cold as it gets on all but the worst of the Winter nights from June to August in Auckland.

I note today the daytime temperatures in the UK are around 10c, so if you want to see how cold that is, go switch your heating off right now. Open all the doors and windows, get undressed, do some normal things you would expect to be able to do in the comfort of your home, go take a shower or have a bath, sit and watch the TV for while and see how you would feel about your home being as 'warm' as that for six months of the year.

Just keeping it REAL!!!

They can take it how they like, I really don't mind. But if you are suggesting that because I am a Kiwi I am posting misleading information then I protest most strongly.

I have no vested interest in whether immigrants choose to live here. I try really hard to provide a balanced and honest view. Maybe you could try doing that in a more dignified manner sometime Bo.

IMHO it is not really so much about the temperature, or the damp but the age, construction and design of the house plus where in NZ it is.

We choose to live in a house we built that is fully insulated in East Auckland hence my previous post.

The only problem we have is not cold and damp, it is the heat when you come home from work in the summer and the house has been shut all day apart from a few windows slightly ajar with security locks.

I have seen people in here complaining about the cold damp houses in NZ and how much money it has cost them to insulate and heat it.

Then I read that they have brought a lovely old wooden villa with scrim walls and high ceilings down in Dunedin.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Apr 7th 2009 at 9:40 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

no
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:15 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Weekly poll No. 2

Yes. Heating is cheap (use electric) but I run it almost all of the time to keep it around 25 degrees inside.

There is only one thing for it if the electric goes off though, I'll be forced to have sex with the MILF next door .