Weekly poll No. 2

Old Apr 4th 2009, 6:47 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekly poll No. 2

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
...I think we can all agree that the housing stock, in general, in NZ needs much improvement.
True - but those who have done a little research before coming out here should expect that.
It's the way it is here, and all you can do is either be prepared to invest in your property, or put up with it (put a sweater on harden up!! )
Old Apr 4th 2009, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

coast to coast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I take it that most posting in here live in the South Island or the lower half of the North Island.

My answer is yes. We built our house in 1991 and no it does not have double glazing or central heating.

We do however live in Auckland and it is only on the odd occasion during the winter that we need to turn the oil heater on.

What we do make sure we do is run a dehumidifier during the winter months and open the windows to let the air circulate.

We only moan about the temperature in the summer when we come home and the house has been shut up all day ... but not because it's too cold !
Yes,

In Kiwi standards anyway, hunted and hunted for rental house with log burner as we froze last winter, got full insulation to boot. So gets cosy, heat still disappears as soon as heating goes off.
I figure housing standards here are bad for your health.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
True - but those who have done a little research before coming out here should expect that.
Exactly, it's hardly a new flash. The cost to insulate and install heating in a house is not that great (compared to the cost of a house - say 2-5%), and in the current market you should easily be able to negotiate a discount at least as much as it will cost.
Personally I'm not that convinced about double glazing, at least not in the Auckland area and northwards. Worth it if you're building from scratch or replacing windows anyway, but we tend to have bedroom windows open at least a crack for most of the year.
I guess renting is a different story, which is one reason why I think selling in the UK and buying here is the best approach. There are some nice modern houses for rent though.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

englishheaven will become famous soon enoughenglishheaven will become famous soon enough

The houses here are just like home. I you lived in The Black Country Museum
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishheaven
The houses here are just like home. I you lived in The Black Country Museum

You expecting a response from that small piece of wisdom ?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

englishheaven will become famous soon enoughenglishheaven will become famous soon enough

I couldn't believe it when i was looking at houses to buy and some had open fires as they sole means of heating. Many also still have old rubber coated wiring and galvanised water pipes. Not to mention the corrugated iron roofs. Positively Dickensian my dear.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I take it that most posting in here live in the South Island or the lower half of the North Island.

We do however live in Auckland and it is only on the odd occasion during the winter that we need to turn the oil heater on.
Whilst I am sure this is true for you being a Kiwi, the average Brit should take your post with a huge pinch of salt and should expect to have to heat their homes in some way for at least six months of the year - May to October.

Anyone (even in the Winterless North) who hasn't needed to use any form of heating prior to the 1st May would be doing really well. That old line about having the heating on five times a year would have to be the single biggest myth of the so-called 'Winterless North' as far as I am concerned. It's about as much use to the average migrant, as the poster who has budget spending $28k per month.

For health and comfort, indoor temperatures should be between 18ºC and 24ºC. The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that all living and sleeping areas be maintained at a temperature of at least 16ºC (and preferably 18 ºC).

OSH Recommends offices during winter are maintained at 18 - 22 ºC

My own comfort level puts 18.5ºC as a tad on the chilly side for anything other than the briefest period and I would be then thinking of adding some extra layers and some form of heating.

This week will see the weather cooling off somewhat with an overnight low of just 8ºC predicted for Friday, which is about as cold as it gets on all but the worst of the Winter nights from June to August in Auckland.

I note today the daytime temperatures in the UK are around 10c, so if you want to see how cold that is, go switch your heating off right now. Open all the doors and windows, get undressed, do some normal things you would expect to be able to do in the comfort of your home, go take a shower or have a bath, sit and watch the TV for while and see how you would feel about your home being as 'warm' as that for six months of the year.

Just keeping it REAL!!!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

New Zealand's the only place I've ever been where I have to pop out for a while to get warm again! And, I live in Auckland.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Double Glazing, insulation and Gas Heating keep us toastie warm even when its blowing a southerly here And we have been surprised at the Fuel bills thought they were going to be way higher, we pay a fixed monthly price and so far have managed to put ourselves well in credit for the coming winter, but me a being a person who hates the cold i suspect we will be using all the credit.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I live north of Auckland & strongly agree with Bo-Jangles.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I live top of the south island and wonder why these weekly polls have no polls attached.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:03 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I live top of the south island and wonder why these weekly polls have no polls attached.
eh
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

For you
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:15 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
there's lovely
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Trenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Whilst I am sure this is true for you being a Kiwi, the average Brit should take your post with a huge pinch of salt and should expect to have to heat their homes in some way for at least six months of the year - May to October.

Anyone (even in the Winterless North) who hasn't needed to use any form of heating prior to the 1st May would be doing really well. That old line about having the heating on five times a year would have to be the single biggest myth of the so-called 'Winterless North' as far as I am concerned. It's about as much use to the average migrant, as the poster who has budget spending $28k per month.

For health and comfort, indoor temperatures should be between 18ºC and 24ºC. The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that all living and sleeping areas be maintained at a temperature of at least 16ºC (and preferably 18 ºC).

OSH Recommends offices during winter are maintained at 18 - 22 ºC

My own comfort level puts 18.5ºC as a tad on the chilly side for anything other than the briefest period and I would be then thinking of adding some extra layers and some form of heating.

This week will see the weather cooling off somewhat with an overnight low of just 8ºC predicted for Friday, which is about as cold as it gets on all but the worst of the Winter nights from June to August in Auckland.

I note today the daytime temperatures in the UK are around 10c, so if you want to see how cold that is, go switch your heating off right now. Open all the doors and windows, get undressed, do some normal things you would expect to be able to do in the comfort of your home, go take a shower or have a bath, sit and watch the TV for while and see how you would feel about your home being as 'warm' as that for six months of the year.

Just keeping it REAL!!!
This is what worries me.

We've been here since December, so all of Summer and now the start of Autumn. Obviously the temperature has been wonderful, shorts and t-shirts every day, doors and windows thrown wide open. And all the long term expats and Kiwis muttering under their breath 'you wait till winter mate'...

I fear we are going to freeze our collective arses off. The house we are renting is a typical Kiwi pad, made of paper mache and balsa wood with corrugated tin foil for a roof. So thin and lightweight are the walls in fact that when our next-door-neighbour farts we can hear Jockey-cloth ripping. And yes, houses are that packed-in on the North Shore!

Then there is the damp to look forward to as well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.