British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Weekly poll No. 2 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/weekly-poll-no-2-a-600469/)

sparkie down under Mar 28th 2009 8:40 pm

Weekly poll No. 2

With winter rapidly approaching the one thing that I noticed when we moved here is how poorly constructed for, and insulated against, NZ homes are for the ravages of a Kiwi winter.

So this weeks poll is.

Never mind future proof, is your home winter proof? (that is warm, insulated, draft free and most importantly of all, cheap to heat).

Remember choice of 3 answers, 1 only. YES - NO - Don't know.

Over to you

RobClubley Mar 28th 2009 8:45 pm

Re: Weekly poll No. 2

Yes.

Because we spent over $40,000 on double glazing, wall insulation, loft insulation, underfloor insulation and a wood burner.

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 29th 2009 12:28 am

No :frown:

luvwelly Mar 29th 2009 2:21 am

NO..it costs a fortune to heat (but I refuse to freeze), it has warm air central heating but no insulation nor double glazing and is old-style construction....dehumidifiers are essential.

CarolineSwan Mar 29th 2009 2:37 am

No

( bought heaters though to do us till our house is built)

nero Mar 29th 2009 2:58 am

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7429539)
With winter rapidly approaching the one thing that I noticed when we moved here is how poorly constructed for, and insulated against, NZ homes are for the ravages of a Kiwi winter.

So this weeks poll is.

Never mind future proof, is your home winter proof? (that is warm, insulated, draft free and most importantly of all, cheap to heat).

Remember choice of 3 answers, 1 only. YES - NO - Don't know.

Over to you

No - have wool insulation (underfloor and roof), HRV, wood heater, heat pump and oil heating if we need it. So I reckon most bases are covered ;-)

Justcol Mar 29th 2009 4:08 am

Yes.
well as much as it can be.
Its a new home and is fully insulated to current kiwi standards (so thats some tin foil in the walls and cardboard in the loft;) )

The amount of heat loss in any kiwi built home is very high. they do not compare to european standards
when it comes to keeping heat in and reducing heating costs.
Most kiwis i know are quite content to "put up" with a few months of cold.
The guys i know who have spent time working in the uk all say how great they
thought central heating was, yet when i ask why they dont have anything but
a heatpump in their homes they say "you dont need any more than that down here"
which is rubbish, cold is cold where ever you are.

nero Mar 29th 2009 4:18 am

Didn't read question correctly meant 'yes' - sorry

Bo-Jangles Mar 29th 2009 8:01 am

No

We junked the tin foil and replaced with Expol, spent $12k on heat pumps and run two dehumidifiers - despite this, with no double glazing and NZ spec builders paper in the walls and shredded stuff in the ceiling, it's still something akin to living in a wet caravan. As soon as the heater goes off the warmth is gone.

Wiz'n'Ton Mar 29th 2009 8:42 am

No.

Lovely solid house, but it'll cost $30k to get it insulated. It currently has nothing at all. :mad:

Guess we'll have to harden up, eh? :blink:

pixi-dust Mar 29th 2009 8:50 am

No, well it wouldnt be if we were further south but in all honesty is fine for up here.
We have roof insulation, underfloor insulation, a huge wood range and 2 dehumidifiers, but I can see daylight through the gap between the door and the frame!:lol:

lapsed kiwi Mar 29th 2009 9:30 am

Not much of a winter here in Auckland (except our first one here in 2006). But we have three heat pumps and we're not afraid to use them
Coldest day here so far in three years - 12C

Am Loolah Mar 29th 2009 9:33 am

No, we feel the cold - which is why this year we are having a heat pump installed!!!:thumbup:

cypherpunk Mar 29th 2009 9:42 am

No. We have two heat pumps but lots of windows, poor ceiling insulation, no wall insulation and draughty old unused fireplaces.

Persephone Mar 29th 2009 9:58 am

NO!

It's not that bad at the moment but I was over here last winter and the house was freezing. The heaters take a while to heat up the rooms and the heat dissipates very quickly once they're off. Took to wearing Mr Sue's thick socks and numerous layers during the day and going to bed early.
I want central heating:p