British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wed 24th Jan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wed-24th-jan-421214/)

Jack The Lad Jan 24th 2007 7:03 am

Wed 24th Jan

Because my arm is killing me I havent been able to update my blog as fast as I would of liked so Im gonna skip a couple of weeks :)

Well we had decided that we wouldnt make a rash decision on whether we are going to emergrate or not whilst we where in NZ. Sun, sea and sangria and all that. We decided to wait until we got back and things had settled down and sunk in a bit.

Well we have been back 5 days now and we have had time to reflect on our journey and what we have and do not have here in Blighty. The way we think things are going good as well as bad (its not all bad here you know ;) ).

Anyway went shopping on Monday and so many things struck us about our town and the contrasts between it and what we saw in NZ. Everyone looked so angry and miserable, the streets were filthy, groups of young people just hanging around looking bored senseless.

I read a thread a while ago on another NZ site that has stuck in my mind.

"White dots"

This bloke moved to NZ and didnt settle for some reason or another and they decided to come back. Anyway they had been back for about 10 days and decided that they had made a mistake and that NZ was really for them afterall and they moved back again. One obsevation that this bloke made was that everywhere he went all he could see was "White dots". Next time you leave your house look at the ground you are walking on! The UK IS covered in "White dots". Its chewing gum :)

Oh where were we. My arms killing now. We have decided that we are going to give NZ a chance and plan to move over later in the year provided we have house sale/job offers ect. :thumbup:

poppets Jan 24th 2007 7:13 am

Re: Wed 24th Jan

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4319091)
Because my arm is killing me I havent been able to update my blog as fast as I would of liked so Im gonna skip a couple of weeks :)

Well we had decided that we wouldnt make a rash decision on whether we are going to emergrate or not whilst we where in NZ. Sun, sea and sangria and all that. We decided to wait until we got back and things had settled down and sunk in a bit.

Well we have been back 5 days now and we have had time to reflect on our journey and what we have and do not have here in Blighty. The way we think things are going good as well as bad (its not all bad here you know ;) ).

Anyway went shopping on Monday and so many things struck us about our town and the contrasts between it and what we saw in NZ. Everyone looked so angry and miserable, the streets were filthy, groups of young people just hanging around looking bored senseless.

"White dots"

This bloke moved to NZ and didnt settle for some reason or another and they decided to come back. Anyway they had been back for about 10 days and decided that they had made a mistake and that NZ was really for them afterall and they moved back again. One obsevation that this bloke made was that everywhere he went all he could see was "White dots". Next time you leave your house look at the ground you are walking on! The UK IS covered in "White dots". Its chewing gum :)

Oh where were we. My arms killing now. We have decided that we are going to give NZ a chance and plan to move over later in the year provided we have house sale/job offers ect. :thumbup:

good on yer jack , hope it all goes well, have everything crossed for you (well almost everything ;) )

UKNZAUS Jan 24th 2007 7:13 am

Hoorahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhh

sky Jan 24th 2007 7:45 am

You get lots of white dots here in Christchurch ya know ... but it is going to be a lot cleaner than the uk just because there are a lot less people here in the first place.

Nice Guy Jan 24th 2007 9:22 am

Well done!

Top man!

andy&georgina Jan 24th 2007 9:23 am

"White dots"

Yiiiiiipppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeee - very happy for you all :thumbup: :D

pixi-dust Jan 24th 2007 9:32 am

how lovely :D dead chuffed for you and yours.

P2L Jan 24th 2007 9:40 am

See!!!!:D

Now you're as crazy as the rest of us!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jack The Lad Jan 24th 2007 10:13 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4319483)
See!!!!:D

Now you're as crazy as the rest of us!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Woof :eek:

Jack The Lad Jan 24th 2007 10:14 am

Cheers you lot :thumbup:

Now all the hard stuff to plan and arrange :blink:

P2L Jan 24th 2007 10:41 am

Have you decided on an area to live yet? :unsure:

From the bit you posted on the blog, I think you could be swayed towards Whangarei, best of both worlds....city one way, paradise the other.:confused:

Jack The Lad Jan 24th 2007 10:53 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4319626)
Have you decided on an area to live yet? :unsure:

From the bit you posted on the blog, I think you could be swayed towards Whangarei, best of both worlds....city one way, paradise the other.:confused:

Long story but first choice would be an area near Auckland followed by Tauranga and finally Whangarei.

The reasons are really for the kids and work. Whangarei area was by far the prettiest and had loads to offer us but not so much the kids. However the area near Auckland (around North Shore) and Tauranga (Papamoa) had more to offer the kids for when they grow up but also work opportunities for us.

uk+kiwi Jan 24th 2007 10:55 am

Everyone looked so angry and miserable, the streets were filthy, groups of young people just hanging around looking bored senseless.

Yes I notice this. And stressed, especially in the South East. It's not good.

I keep thinking that I'm not the person I was (10 years ago) nor want to be (mainly since having children actually and doing all the things including working that needs to be done), but would I actually be any different in NZ? I suppose that's a question that cannot be answered from the UK.

I have a very close friend who emigrated to NZ in August has just returned for a 2 week holiday. I can't wait to catch up with her soon. :)

Anyhow - well done, good for you. Hope things go well. Any planned destination in terms of area/s to live in NZ?

Carmen. :)

uk+kiwi Jan 24th 2007 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4319662)
However the area near Auckland (around North Shore) and Tauranga (Papamoa) had more to offer the kids for when they grow up

What sorts of things do you mean? Hubbie's from North Shore fyi.

Jack The Lad Jan 24th 2007 11:19 am

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi (Post 4319678)
What sorts of things do you mean? Hubbie's from North Shore fyi.

Well we have to be within commuting distance of an hopsital for Charlie's work for a start.

Whanganrei had loads of things to do within say 40 mins drive. Nice beaches, good schools, nice walks and a small town ect. but is pretty much out on its own.

Tauranga again had all of the above but had a much larger town (3 in fact) and the beach was within a few minutes as oppossed to a drive. Also proberly had more opportunities for when they are growing up, work and socially. Pretty central for getting to Auckland or down south even though it involves a good drive.

Auckland area (North Shore well the place we found anyway) had again all of the above but was only 1 hour from the airport (family visits ect.) Can travel to Tauranga or the North pretty easily for weekends away. So it kind of ticked all the boxes for us and the kids needs.