Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Weather in NZ, and COATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weather in NZ, and COATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather in NZ, and COATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by karonious
Karen the Icicle wore her long coat and Eskimo stylie parka several times last winter in Hamilton But I can be cold in the middle of summer so that's just me maybe?
Your always a lil cold though toots!!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:04 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Your always a lil cold though toots!!!
And you are a gentleman for letting me warm my hands on you!!
(ooerr!!)

Last edited by karonious; Feb 20th 2008 at 8:37 am. Reason: missed out a (bracket)
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Cheers for that everyone, ive been given some good tips there, well worth knowing, as the saying goes 'every little helps'

We are planning on moving to the B.O.P if anybody lives in that area, i would be grateful of any other sound advice about life here, schools, housing etc.

Thanks
Mandy
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
And you are a gentleman for letting me warm my hands on you!!
(ooerr!!) :eek
Oh you tease
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Men in their long white coats, they're coming to take me......

A coat??

What's a coat???

Don't need one..........ever...........on the GC.

Why just today the temperature reached 28c, and today is a mild day!

Sorry.........just read NZ, whoops.............

(Still a lot warmer in the GC though!)
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:15 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Men in their long white coats, they're coming to take me......

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
A coat??
What's a coat???
Don't need one..........ever.....
well we all need a coat in cyberspace......if only to get it.........
"cheque please............"

Back OT:
Got a great Paramo zip in/out one before we came and it is a real boon as it has all those zips/flaps that carry the sweat away whilst keeping most of the rain "rods" off you - boy it can rain in NZ and be really hot/humid at the same time.......
As others have said layer it and bring a decent breathable shell........
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

It you're around Auckland I don't think you'll need heavy winter coats like you do in the UK. And you'll never feel those biitter winds that you feel in the UK in the winter. I think that even boots in Auckland are too heavy for the mild winters. But Invercargill is another matter! It's mostly the dampness that gets you here and the shops aren't heated as much as they are in the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
It you're around Auckland I don't think you'll need heavy winter coats like you do in the UK. And you'll never feel those biitter winds that you feel in the UK in the winter. I think that even boots in Auckland are too heavy for the mild winters. But Invercargill is another matter! It's mostly the dampness that gets you here and the shops aren't heated as much as they are in the UK.
Maybe you do need (several) heavy winter coats + a good waterproof jacket in Wellington. HOwever you may not need boots in Wellington. If you do love boots then you can have it but it's not an essential item.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I have a duffle coat (very warm) which I used to wear a lot in winter in northern Europe...here it is just too hot. A fleece and a waterproof jacket are all you really need.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I have a duffle coat (very warm) which I used to wear a lot in winter in northern Europe...here it is just too hot. A fleece and a waterproof jacket are all you really need.
I don't know how come you feel Welly is so warm/hot?

A cashmere coat is my winter uniform for 8 months in Welly.

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 21st 2008 at 2:01 am.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I don't know how come you feel Welly is so warm/hot?

A cashmere coat is my winter uniform for 8 months in Welly.

I live in Auckland and go to Wellie quite a lot for work and I find winter in Wellington cold but not thick winter coat cold.

IMO you need layers in NZ and where you live depends on how thick they need to be.

A brollie and rain jacket of some sort is a must though.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Layers is good - bearing in mind that it can be coming down stair rods one minute and the sun be almost completely shrouded followed within minutes by a blazing sun and a 5 degree temperature difference - hence the ventilated jacket is so useful ....
As far as your body core temp goes then that is horses for courses - one person's sahara is anothers Gobi desert so to speak.......
Also if you end up slaving away in someone's garden then good boots will be useful - I only expected to be using my riggers/toe-tecter wellies and now I am wearing my old Merrell fabric "approach boots" more
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:03 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum

A brollie and rain jacket of some sort is a must though.
Eek! Not in Wellington - there is a reason umbrellas are called bin liners here!! Snap crackle pop is the sound of your umbrella breaking
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:37 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Eek! Not in Wellington - there is a reason umbrellas are called bin liners here!! Snap crackle pop is the sound of your umbrella breaking
Surely sometimes it rains straight down in Windy Wellington?
It certainly does in most of the rest of the country and a brolly is worth keeping in your car/office as a coat will not protect against all the weather can throw at you!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
It certainly does in most of the rest of the country and a brolly is worth keeping in your car/office as a coat will not protect against all the weather can throw at you!

we don't need brolly here. usually rain & Blowin' in the wind therfore brolly uselss

I rarely see ppl hold brollies in Welly

but when it pours (September/October) we'd better have both waterproof jacket + brolly - otherwise get soaking wet

I don't have a brolly - prefer soaking wet though... Wellingtonians don't bother -- they don't mind getting wet

a water proof jacket is worth keeping in your car/office in Welly - I do. it's kind of compulsory . if your work clothes/(expensive) suits do get damp, and you really need to dry(cleaning) them
I have got two water proof jackets - love keeping one of them in my office

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 21st 2008 at 9:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.