Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Weather in NZ, and COATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weather in NZ, and COATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold
Talking Weather in NZ, and COATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I know this sounds a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway but do we need to bring big winter coats to NZ. I know the climate is similiar to the UK, but someone told me that since they have been in NZ they have not even had to wear or buy any winter coats.

I have lots of different coats and want to save on all the bulk carrying.

Can someone please tell me DO I OR DONT I NEED MY WINTER COATS.

Thanks
Mandy:
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:08 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather in NZ, and COATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are you moving to? The weather is quite varied over the country.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:15 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. But i hate the cold and generally have to walk home about 10pm at night so it tends to be cold then...

Personally i think that while the actual temperature in a place like Wellington isnt too bad, the wind chill factor makes a considerable difference.

Actually, 'layering up' is probably ok if you are that pressed for space regarding coats. If you have a kicka*s £500 coat then yep bring it along. But if it is some £30 from H&M then no, i would say leave it.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

scottishnomad is just really nicescottishnomad is just really nicescottishnomad is just really nicescottishnomad is just really nicescottishnomad is just really nicescottishnomad is just really nicescottishnomad is just really nicescottishnomad is just really nicescottishnomad is just really nicescottishnomad is just really nice

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY View Post
Hi,

I know this sounds a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway but do we need to bring big winter coats to NZ. I know the climate is similiar to the UK, but someone told me that since they have been in NZ they have not even had to wear or buy any winter coats.

I have lots of different coats and want to save on all the bulk carrying.

Can someone please tell me DO I OR DONT I NEED MY WINTER COATS.

Thanks
Mandy:
I'm in Wellington and when the wind blows, its quite cold. So depends where you will be. A wind breaker from camping shops (a few $100) will do a great job!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:01 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring some just in case. I have a long coat I brought from the UK which stayed in the hall cupboard the whole time I lived in Auckland but if you're moving to an area that gets snow you may need something that's half/three quarter length I guess.

I think the reason why you won't see a lot of coats in NZ is that people don't spend enough time outdoors to make it worth the expense of buying one. If they do venture out they're more likely to wear a parka/ski jacket/fleece.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a good waterproof jacket then bring it, I wish I'd got one in the UK, choice here is limited and boy are they expensive!!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14 View Post
If you have a good waterproof jacket then bring it, I wish I'd got one in the UK, choice here is limited and boy are they expensive!!!
I got new one last year. waterproof jacket The North Face one. $285! OMG!

of course choice here is limited. crap.

Get it from the U.S over the internet. http://www.backcountry.com/store/TNF...et-Womens.html

They are heaps cheaper and more choice.

I regret now - why did I buy it here?:curse:

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 20th 2008 at 3:13 am.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:50 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Depends where you choose to live. Where are you planning to set up shop?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:24 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess View Post
Actually, 'layering up' is probably ok if you are that pressed for space regarding coats. If you have a kicka*s £500 coat then yep bring it along. But if it is some £30 from H&M then no, i would say leave it.
You see i really couldn't give a stuff about a tesco, but an H&M now that would make my day!

Sorry back to the thread!

Yep bring a coat, although both weather and coats are readily available should you need either. (lots of weather, fewer coats!)
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

I have a long wool coat that I wear between my car park and my work and another that's for running with the dogs - I'm outdoors a lot with the dogs when I'm not working, so would be lost without a good coat!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

My lovely full length wool coats haven't made it out of the wardrobe in 2 and a half years (moths must be having a field day!) My fleece and waterproof have been used loads.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

I brought over all our coats. Have everything from denim jackets to long thick wool ones The denim jacket was used in Spring for nights out and the wool one has just sat there... even through Winter! Got the bargain of the century back in the UK though - 4x Trespass waterproof/weatherproof etc coats for 8 pounds (no pound sign) - 2 quid EACH !!!!!!!! These all came with removable fleece innards too

Have 2 gorgeous 3/4 length wool coats that probably won't see the light of day again unless we go South in winter?!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:43 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14 View Post
This is one blummin' good tip. In fact, more than that.

Karma for this.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:47 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl View Post
Have 2 gorgeous 3/4 length wool coats that probably won't see the light of day again unless we go South in winter?!
Karen the Icicle wore her long coat and Eskimo stylie parka several times last winter in Hamilton But I can be cold in the middle of summer so that's just me maybe?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
This is one blummin' good tip. In fact, more than that.

Karma for this.
Cheers Bevs! I only know this having fallen off my seat (well, if I'd taken a seat with me I'd have fallen off it) at the prices when having a wee look for a decent gore tex jacket at the weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.