Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Weather in new zeland

Weather in new zeland

Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

xcarlymeganx is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Weather in new zeland

i hear the weather in new zeland is similar to the uk....so why do loads of brits move there? The english weather is crap!

How hot does it get there? and is it as rainy n cloudy and dull as the uk?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather in new zeland

Originally Posted by xcarlymeganx
i hear the weather in new zeland is similar to the uk....so why do loads of brits move there?
Perhaps because the weather is not exactly a primary concern when choosing a country to live in, and because they realise there are far more important things in life?!?

Or because the weather in the UK suits them and they actually want something similar - personally, I despise hot weather so can't imagine anything worse than living in a tropical country. You may not like the UK climate, but plenty of others do. I love the changing seasons and (shock, horror!) even like the rain.

Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:49 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

i hear the weather in new zeland is similar to the uk....so why do loads of brits move there? The english weather is crap!

OK - you're confusing ... where is it you're moving to USA, OZ or NZ? You're posts are all over the shop?!

The weather varies from region to region ... where we live it is very sunny, very mild and a micro-climate all of it's own. Where we had moved from in the UK the weather was vile and appalling ...

Hot in the summer - but not unbearable, high 20's, low 30's. And yes, it does rain, but thankfully not day, after day, after day, after ... well you get the picture.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

It depends where you live! I live in Auckland, and even though it rains a lot (making for the beautiful lush green countryside....and never a worry about a drought...) the summers are hot and winters are mild.....much much different to the UK. I need a coat about one day a year....in fact most of my coats have been collecting dust in the wardrobe.

New Zealand is a big country, it isnt the same size as the UK so dont be fooled!
And also, as already said, it isnt the primary reason why people move here.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not really like the UK - I never sat out under a sun umbrella in Winter in the UK as I did hear last year while planning out garden. We get very frosty mornings some time here in the South Island but then you know the sky will be a magnificent shade of blue and the sun will most probably shine all day so no I don't rate it anything like the dull and dreary UK here in the South Island. I have not had a winter coat in 2 years here, just a fleece and scarf. Not used an umberella much either. !! Summers are great too mostly - usually we can take a holiday and be sure of having some sun unlike back in the UK where if you went on holiday it usually rained all week. Take last Sunday here in Chch it was around 24 deg and it is Autumn, probably equivalent to Sept/Oct and had to sit in the shade to keep out the sun. So your answer from me is it is nothing like the UK weather here in the South Island, I know the North gets more rain and is generally warmer in winter but wetter and that is why we chose the South.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:38 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

The summers are long and hot, and I have not worn a coat in winter since being here...

similar as in seasons, but generally the weather is far better...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZBee
I need a coat about one day a year....in fact most of my coats have been collecting dust in the wardrobe.

:

Coats, Scarves & beanies are essential winter items in Welly. This IS NOT JAFAland...

ppl do wear coatS about 7 months (April ~ October) a year in Welly and I start wearing a coat from March (Crazy, eh?). , because it can be bl**dy freezing on a grey muggy windy and rainy day (it starts getting distinctly cold around mid March anyway) And it doesn't get warm enough until November. Weather is totally Unpredictable here....

Unlike YOU!

in fact most of my summer dresses & Short sleeve shirts & underpants have been collecting dust in the wardrobe since we moved to Wellington (I was a kid at that time )........

Unfortunately I had to get some nice summer dresses for the wedding in overseas last year, because it was summer there, BUt! the thing is I rarely wear such short sleeves here.. (in the office Occasionally...still with a jacket AND stocking anyway...hahaha )

Now I SWEAR (as long as I live in Welly or the U.K) I wouldn't buy any more short sleeve dresses or anything like that in future unless I am a nutter. It’s a total waste of money.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:14 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I wear my woollen coat for at least 3 seasons. Not so much in summer but I am wearing it this week.

And once I start wearing my woollen coat, that's me for the rest of the season.

I am a complete wuss though. I hate the cold.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
but I am wearing it this week.

so do i frickin cold, eh?

On the bottom I'm wearing heavy layers ... (almost 4 seasons)... like nana...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:59 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so bad as that! Although, I am in my merino cardi and a long sleeve top.

It is bad though that when the sun comes out it can be so warm - so you find yourself wrapped up and sweltering.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:20 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I'm not so bad as that! Although, I am in my merino cardi and a long sleeve top.

It is bad though that when the sun comes out it can be so warm - so you find yourself wrapped up and sweltering.
We've gone back to shorts and t-shirts this week!? (Insincere apologies for all those feeling the chill elsewhere!)
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We've gone back to shorts and t-shirts this week!? (Insincere apologies for all those feeling the chill elsewhere!)
Us too. Beautiful weather on the Whangaparaoa peninsula . God, it's hell living here
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

hiya

weather is so not like the uk ... its autumn today and there hasnt been a cloud in the sky , its lovely, last week it was around 23 most days , cant complain and in the summer was 33 ish most days. been years since i saw weather hotter than say 20 or 21 in the uk

caz
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Down in the South Island the weather is all over the place. We've lit the fire a few times already, but today is fine and no need for a coat. In the summer it can be anything from 18 - 35, sometimes all in one week. However, it hardly ever rains even when it's cold, so we have gorgeous blue skies and sunshine even in the middle of winter when it's 8 degrees by 3pm. In winter we get down to -3 at night often, and sometimes lower. In the day it struggles to 8 or 9. Temperatures start to climb around October.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Today was simply beautiful. Shorts and t shirt weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.