British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Weather in Dunedin (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/weather-dunedin-478475/)

DTHarrop Sep 2nd 2007 9:57 am

Weather in Dunedin

Hubby had to decline a job offer in Whangarei - Northland, as we quickly realised, we couldn't afford the lifestyle we would want, due to the wages on offer for that particular job.

Since then we are waiting feedback for a job in Dunedin, Which hubby's brother who lives near Whangarei has commented, its blimmin freezing down there!!!!

Now I am confused and would love some feedback on the weather, as through the met office and loadsa websites it has likened the weather to UK, but many people in new zealand have described it as having artic conditions!
So I was wondering whether people who live in new zealand presently are describing the climate conditions relative to more mediterranean conditions that they are now used to.

Although the weather would not put us off Dunedin, as it looks fantastic and the lifestyle opportunities that it would offer look very positive, especially for our children, but I would like to know whether we need to factor in fur coats in our budgets:rofl:

Many thanks

Tina

lapsed kiwi Sep 2nd 2007 10:36 am

Re: Weather in Dunedin

Think Southern UK, you won't be far off.

Remember lots of Kiwis don't bother to heat or insulate their houses but this doesn't mean it's illegal, difficult or even expensive to turn a cold draughty house into a warm snug one. I would only be worried if you're planning to rent somewhere cheap.

happynz Sep 2nd 2007 8:15 pm

Dunedin is a gorgeous little city. It even has some quite nice beaches although admittedly the water is cold.

DTHarrop Sep 3rd 2007 11:49 am

Good to hear.

Dunedin look like a great place and it would be good to still experience the four seasons, as I think the OH would miss a good frost!!

Ta

KIRSTIE Sep 3rd 2007 12:27 pm

Hi tina

We have also been looking southwards as well, if you look on www.otago.co.nz it has allsorts on it, we have also looked at Invercargill, we are not bothered about the cold etc but the wages that you got compared to living expenses made it more do-able for the reasons we want to move. Just to have an outdoor lifestyle, and to build our own home with a bit of land

good luck with your search

with regards

kirstie

DTHarrop Sep 3rd 2007 3:34 pm

Thanks for the link.......the only thing we also need to look into is the heating situation....as lapsed Kiwi has mentioned.

Some of the houses we have been looking at have underfloor heating installed for the lower ground, plus heat pumps, which I am guessing very economical and environmentally good. Although through searches on this forum can be very noisy........I know I have changed the subject a bit....but very important!!!

I also agree with your comment with regards to living in Otago being more financially viable, as the house prices and cost of living is quite expensive in the north. I think we have missed that boat!

Fingers crossed OH gets some good news soon, as the more I find out about Dunedin, the more I prefer it!!!!

KIRSTIE Sep 3rd 2007 3:42 pm

hi tina

i have been the same with Invercargill, but i also looked on the local council websites etc to see what was happening there etc and what would be happening in the future. also to see what was on during each month to give me an idea. I have also looked at houses to see how much they were and like you very interested in the heating situation and i have not seen any that have central heating just the heat pumps like you say and the wood burners etc,
hope you get your good news soon

with regards

kirstie

southerner Sep 4th 2007 12:04 am

Hi

I live in Dunedin and love it.

Its true that compared to Whangarei it might be called cold down here, but remember that Whangarei is sub-tropical and is probably 7-8 degrees warmer on average than anywhere in the UK.

Dunedin's weather is seasonal and can be variable. So we can have heavy snow, hot dry summers, or clear crisp autumns, and we can have balmy winter weather (eg. it has been over 20 most of the last week), and like most of NZ a southerly storm can come through any time of the year and we're back into single digits within hours.

We get more sunshine and less rainfall than the Uk.