Weather Advice

Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

marie22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Weather Advice

Hi Folks,

We are looking at NZ with a view to a warmer/ drier climate than UK and thinking of North Island. Perhaps Auckland, Coromandel, Bay of Plenty. I have looked on weather sites but can anyone give us a basic idea.
I have moved overseas a lot over the last 30 years with OH being in the MOD, so I do not have the rose tinted specs on.
Many thanks
Marie
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather Advice

We live in Auckland and were previously from London. It rains alot here and at times the rain is very similar to tropical storms. I have never seen it fall so hard!

You can have four seasons in a day and we have learnt to always have a rain jacket or jumper in the car just in case! It is not as cold here in Auckland as the UK, although the southerly wind can have a bit of an artic blast. We do not have frosts and plants I could never grow outside in the UK thrive here. We are closer to the sun (just) and the sun is alot fiercer and you can burn in nano seconds. We have not used any of our oil heaters for the past 6-8 weeks and we have now stopped using our heat pump and we are really only in Spring. It is much more humid here than the UK. Temperature currently is fluctuating between 16 to 24. There are more sunny days and more days with blue skies here. Hope this ramble helps ;-)
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Nero

That has been a help.
We live in the USA at the moment and have become used to the tropical downpours. I just cannot face those days at home in UK of drizzle for weeks & weeks on end.
Marie
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marie22
Hi Folks,

We are looking at NZ with a view to a warmer/ drier climate than UK and thinking of North Island. Perhaps Auckland, Coromandel, Bay of Plenty. I have looked on weather sites but can anyone give us a basic idea.
I have moved overseas a lot over the last 30 years with OH being in the MOD, so I do not have the rose tinted specs on.
Many thanks
Marie
Hi Marie,

We are in the Bay of Plenty and I have been very pleasantly surprised by the climate here. It's almost like a microclimate all of it's own. Mind you, I guess like anywhere in NZ - when that sun shines through it's darn hot!

We have rain, that's how the place stays so lush - but what we don't have is rain day after day after day - you get the picture?! It'll rain for a day on and off and then the next day can be blue skies and bright sun.

Winter this year seemed longer than last - about 8-10 weeks, cold at night, but not cold enough in the day for winter coats. Maybe 2 minor frosts, gone by 9am.

Summer is exceptional. I struggle when people say don't come to NZ expecting the weather to be better than the UK. Where we are living, having come from Cornwall for the previous 10 years - it is amazingly better!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
We live in Auckland and were previously from London. It rains alot here and at times the rain is very similar to tropical storms. I have never seen it fall so hard!

You can have four seasons in a day and we have learnt to always have a rain jacket or jumper in the car just in case! It is not as cold here in Auckland as the UK, although the southerly wind can have a bit of an artic blast. We do not have frosts and plants I could never grow outside in the UK thrive here. We are closer to the sun (just) and the sun is alot fiercer and you can burn in nano seconds. We have not used any of our oil heaters for the past 6-8 weeks and we have now stopped using our heat pump and we are really only in Spring. It is much more humid here than the UK. Temperature currently is fluctuating between 16 to 24. There are more sunny days and more days with blue skies here. Hope this ramble helps ;-)
That's a good summary of Auckland weather as I've found except for the 4 seasons in one day comment, Auckland doesn't have 4 seasons in one year!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Marie,

We are in the Bay of Plenty and I have been very pleasantly surprised by the climate here. It's almost like a microclimate all of it's own. Mind you, I guess like anywhere in NZ - when that sun shines through it's darn hot!

We have rain, that's how the place stays so lush - but what we don't have is rain day after day after day - you get the picture?! It'll rain for a day on and off and then the next day can be blue skies and bright sun.

Winter this year seemed longer than last - about 8-10 weeks, cold at night, but not cold enough in the day for winter coats. Maybe 2 minor frosts, gone by 9am.

Summer is exceptional. I struggle when people say don't come to NZ expecting the weather to be better than the UK. Where we are living, having come from Cornwall for the previous 10 years - it is amazingly better!
Hi,
I am from Plymouth/ Cornwall area at home too. So you know how that westcountry drizzle drives you mad. Thanks for your advice a real thumbs up.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I`m with Loolah on this one. The weather here (Bay of Plenty) is much better than the UK. I was a builder in the UK and the long winters were a nightmare and we were in the South East which supposedly missed the worst of it. This last winter has apparently been one of the worst for years........cant say I noticed.
However, the sun here is frankly dangerous. Being Mr rufty tufty builder thought I didn`t need sun tan lotion when I first got here as my Rhinosorous skin would be OK. WRONG.

Ash
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:42 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hawkes Bay has a very dry, warm climate: as the viticulture and olive groves testify