Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

And The Weather is

And The Weather is

Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:48 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default And The Weather is

Im sure its all been done before but as a quesion was asked in another thread I thought id reply.

DUNEDIN.

Before we came here as part of our research we looked at various weather sites and read various posts about different areas weather patterns.

Based on that to some extent we chose Dunedin as it looked like it had a bit of all types.

We were not wrong

What I would say is that compared to London and west Cumbria (places I lived in for 34 and 5 years respectivly) the weather id better on average.

It does get very cold in the winter getting down to zero and just below on the very rare occassion,it does snow,it does get windy especialy by the coast or on the hills (but thats the same all over the world in such places),it does rain and the roads do get icy.

HOWEVER I can honestly say that NEVER before in the uk can I remember wearing a t-shirt so often in the middle of winter during a real hot day,nor can I say I ever experienced such swings in the weather from one day to the next during winter ie as above on a monday,snow on a tuesday,rain on a wednesday and sun on a thursday

For some this might seem like hell (just ask a softy north islander what their idea of cold is) but for me its just fine.

End of the day you just wrap up on a cold day and enjoy the winter sun on another.

Summer is bloody hot and DONT be fooled by the temps the state on the TV here.I can honestly say 18 degrees here is like 26 back in the uk and is more than enuf for us.The sun here is intense and when it gets into the 20's down here at least you have ten-20 mins MAX before you are toast. If you need it hotter than that then good luck to you!

Like the UK we have good and bad summers but in the five years we have been here id say 3 good two average.

Rain well yep we get it,but having lived in cumbria I can say nowhere near as much as I got wet there.NZ is a water rich country compared to most so for me I like that fact.All those off to aussie will find out in 20 years just what water bans and shortages really are!

It dosnt rain enough to make it a conversation piece day in day out.

So to sum up its a mixture of a bit of all types of weather,I have a tan here and dont look pasty faced all year,not through laying in it just working in it yet my daughter is super sun safe and as white as a ghost,so choice is yours.

You will be cold in dunedin but not to the extent some say on here, you will be warm,hot,but its not the med all year around and so on.

The biggest thing to take from all of this is that the cold WILL piss you off and make you very misserable if you dont budjet for and then follow through with a heating and insulation plan for the house you live in when you get here.

Thats a whole other post but be warned and head those words and dont then moan about it if you face a dunedin winter in a kiwi type house!

hope that helps how about a few more real world weather posts from others?

george
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: And The Weather is

Originally Posted by george toni
Im sure its all been done before but as a quesion was asked in another thread I thought id reply.

DUNEDIN.

Before we came here as part of our research we looked at various weather sites and read various posts about different areas weather patterns.

Based on that to some extent we chose Dunedin as it looked like it had a bit of all types.

We were not wrong

What I would say is that compared to London and west Cumbria (places I lived in for 34 and 5 years respectivly) the weather id better on average.

It does get very cold in the winter getting down to zero and just below on the very rare occassion,it does snow,it does get windy especialy by the coast or on the hills (but thats the same all over the world in such places),it does rain and the roads do get icy.

HOWEVER I can honestly say that NEVER before in the uk can I remember wearing a t-shirt so often in the middle of winter during a real hot day,nor can I say I ever experienced such swings in the weather from one day to the next during winter ie as above on a monday,snow on a tuesday,rain on a wednesday and sun on a thursday

For some this might seem like hell (just ask a softy north islander what their idea of cold is) but for me its just fine.

End of the day you just wrap up on a cold day and enjoy the winter sun on another.

Summer is bloody hot and DONT be fooled by the temps the state on the TV here.I can honestly say 18 degrees here is like 26 back in the uk and is more than enuf for us.The sun here is intense and when it gets into the 20's down here at least you have ten-20 mins MAX before you are toast. If you need it hotter than that then good luck to you!

Like the UK we have good and bad summers but in the five years we have been here id say 3 good two average.

Rain well yep we get it,but having lived in cumbria I can say nowhere near as much as I got wet there.NZ is a water rich country compared to most so for me I like that fact.All those off to aussie will find out in 20 years just what water bans and shortages really are!

It dosnt rain enough to make it a conversation piece day in day out.

So to sum up its a mixture of a bit of all types of weather,I have a tan here and dont look pasty faced all year,not through laying in it just working in it yet my daughter is super sun safe and as white as a ghost,so choice is yours.

You will be cold in dunedin but not to the extent some say on here, you will be warm,hot,but its not the med all year around and so on.

The biggest thing to take from all of this is that the cold WILL piss you off and make you very misserable if you dont budjet for and then follow through with a heating and insulation plan for the house you live in when you get here.

Thats a whole other post but be warned and head those words and dont then moan about it if you face a dunedin winter in a kiwi type house!

hope that helps how about a few more real world weather posts from others?

george
All i can say to that George dear is be very grateful you dont live in Cumbria right now - they got it real bad!!
Wain, wain and more wain.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:48 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

yep got family flooded in/out and it keeps on raining.

I have to say though it used to make me laugh when they moaned about the rain when they live in a place called the lake district how did they think all the lakes were made!

I for one think if you build in an area that is prone to flooding or next to the banks of a river then buyer beware!

george
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by george toni
yep got family flooded in/out and it keeps on raining.

I have to say though it used to make me laugh when they moaned about the rain when they live in a place called the lake district how did they think all the lakes were made!

I for one think if you build in an area that is prone to flooding or next to the banks of a river then buyer beware!

george
Absolutely - but they have had it bad though - feel for your family - its pants x

As an aside - as an estate agent - we are marketing a property that is situated on a river edge - cant see it, but you know its there. very prestty n all but he's wondering why we cant sell his house - which is lovely inside - but its because, whilst he has never actually flooded - his neighbour keeps the pile of sandbags by his front door all year - just in case!!!!! i ask you!!!

But its funny how peoples views have changed - years ago it would have been desirable to live near a river - lots of scenery, lovely walks, etc. not any more!!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in the west of Scotland for 42 years I am well used to the weather Dunedin has to offer,but I did have difficulty getting used to how cold it was inside the rental house in Winter. The weather outside has been no bother. I cannot believe how windy it is here day in day out in Spring.....but will get used to it. Am looking forward to some decent sun though......just not the heat as I wilt like a lettuce leaf if I get too hot. George is right though,you need to look at the weather in each part as it can vary from North to South Island.

Phyl x
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:16 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

thanks for this post George.
i'm the one that asked the question, and i must say dunedin does sound much nicer than my sister-in-law suggested, but then her house in london is boiling hot in winter, at least 25 degrees and sometimes more! unbelievable!!