Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We are well on our way!

We are well on our way!

Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:59 pm
Kiwi livin' and lovin' it

Location: Was England. Then Germany.Tried Spain. NZ now and NOT moving!
the turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant future
Default We are well on our way!

Hello Everyone.

I thought I would take a few mins to update you all on our progress,

I won't bore you all with our backgrounds, if you check our posts you will get a feel for the Turner family and the regulars here know us.........

I finished work in Gibraltar on the 20th of July and Andrea and I started packing in earnest. Not pleasant in 32 deg heat with two kids to look after. Over the next 5 days we dismantled and flat-packed every piece of furniture except one chest of drawers that was actually properly made with dovetailed joints! All our belongings were packed, boxed and inventoried ready for the container. We used a room downstairs which used to be the garage as a holding room. we figured if we could fit all the stuff in that size of room it would all go in a 20ft container. I did have a couple of days help from Andreas father-in-law for which I am very grateful!

During these five days we also were sorting out the final house sale details and doing all the necessary with closing bank accounts etc.

The container arrived at 9am on the 26th and with the help of a neighbour and his son (a fireman and usefully strong) I started playing Tetris with all our worldly goods. As the temp was again 30+ and I was in a metal box (oven) soon I was soaked. Not a pleasant time but we loaded all the stuff with no real problems. A four bedroom house and personal effects for two adults and two kids does fit into a 20ft container.

The 27th we sold the house and handed over all the keys and paperwork. The money was transferred into our Spanish bank account and on the 28th we closed this account and flew back to England.

Saying goodbye to Andreas mum was really hard as she is not really having a great time in Spain either and feels a bit trapped. We are hoping that she will be able to make the move too in a couple of years.

The flight back to London was uneventful but Heathrow was a nightmare, we had to wait 2 hours for our bags and when they did come through our booster seats for the kids were missing. All the information desks were closed and we HAD to go as the hire car company was closing too. I called BA the next day and spent 1/2 an hour on hold before being cut off. We went to Argos and bought two new ones.

Friday and Saturday we spent with some friends in Bournemouth, buying last min stuff and saying goodbye. Sunday we saw my parents and sister and did the goodbye bit with them too. It was not too bad in one respect as we have been in Spain for two years so are used to being away but very hard in another as my Dad has terminal cancer and it could be the last time I see him.

A very sobering moment and a scenario everyone considering moving to NZ should think about.

We are now at Andreas brothers house in Brighton for a couple of days before the next stage of our mad adventure.

On Wednesday we have to go to London to get a new passport for Charlotte as hers is about to expire and then get to the NZIS to get our blue stickers done. The passport office appointment is 8:15 to give us enough time to do the fast track one day passport deal and still get to NZIS for 2pm.

Then on Thursday we fly from Heathrow to start our new life. We are going via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific as loads of people recommended. We have a day in Hong Kong and I will try to get to a Wi-Fi point and update our progress. Then it's into Auckland and meet my new boss... :scared:

A very friendly and helpful lady we met on this forum has offered to meet us at the Airport and I would like to thank her here. She has been really encouraging and we are looking forward to meeting her.

Thanks Carol - see you soon

Thats all for now. Pretty manic and nowhere near over yet. I will do my best to keep you all updated with how we get on.

Bye for now.

Matt, Andrea, Charlotte and Christopher.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:15 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are well on our way!

Originally Posted by the turner family
Hello Everyone.

I won't bore you all with our backgrounds, if you check our posts you will get a feel for the Turner family and the regulars here know us.........

I finished work in Gibraltar on the 20th of July and Andrea and I started packing in earnest. Not pleasant in 32 deg heat with two kids to look after. Over the next 5 days we dismantled and flat-packed every piece of furniture except one chest of drawers that was actually properly made with dovetailed joints! All our belongings were packed, boxed and inventoried ready for the container. We used a room downstairs which used to be the garage as a holding room. we figured if we could fit all the stuff in that size of room it would all go in a 20ft container. I did have a couple of days help from Andreas father-in-law for which I am very grateful!

During these five days we also were sorting out the final house sale details and doing all the necessary with closing bank accounts etc.

The container arrived at 9am on the 26th and with the help of a neighbour and his son (a fireman and usefully strong) I started playing Tetris with all our worldly goods. As the temp was again 30+ and I was in a metal box (oven) soon I was soaked. Not a pleasant time but we loaded all the stuff with no real problems. A four bedroom house and personal effects for two adults and two kids does fit into a 20ft container.

The 27th we sold the house and handed over all the keys and paperwork. The money was transferred into our Spanish bank account and on the 28th we closed this account and flew back to England.

Saying goodbye to Andreas mum was really hard as she is not really having a great time in Spain either and feels a bit trapped. We are hoping that she will be able to make the move too in a couple of years.

The flight back to London was uneventful but Heathrow was a nightmare, we had to wait 2 hours for our bags and when they did come through our booster seats for the kids were missing. All the information desks were closed and we HAD to go as the hire car company was closing too. I called BA the next day and spent 1/2 an hour on hold before being cut off. We went to Argos and bought two new ones.

Friday and Saturday we spent with some friends in Bournemouth, buying last min stuff and saying goodbye. Sunday we saw my parents and sister and did the goodbye bit with them too. It was not too bad in one respect as we have been in Spain for two years so are used to being away but very hard in another as my Dad has terminal cancer and it could be the last time I see him.

A very sobering moment and a scenario everyone considering moving to NZ should think about.

We are now at Andreas brothers house in Brighton for a couple of days before the next stage of our mad adventure.

On Wednesday we have to go to London to get a new passport for Charlotte as hers is about to expire and then get to the NZIS to get our blue stickers done. The passport office appointment is 8:15 to give us enough time to do the fast track one day passport deal and still get to NZIS for 2pm.

Then on Thursday we fly from Heathrow to start our new life. We are going via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific as loads of people recommended. We have a day in Hong Kong and I will try to get to a Wi-Fi point and update our progress. Then it's into Auckland and meet my new boss... :scared:

A very friendly and helpful lady we met on this forum has offered to meet us at the Airport and I would like to thank her here. She has been really encouraging and we are looking forward to meeting her.

Thats all for now. Pretty manic and nowhere near over yet. I will do my best to keep you all updated with how we get on.

Bye for now.

Wow, you really are well on your way! I can remember reading all the posts about packing your own container so well done for doing that Good to know that it fitted into the 20ft container also.

Best of luck and I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

great to hear your update - can you believe that it's actually all falling into place - look forward to the next installment
Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:48 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you've got everything sorted and under control!!! Hope it all continues going to plan until Thursday and that you have a safe and happy journey to NZ...good luck with everything...
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Well thanks Matt & Andrea,

Your message brought a few tears.
I'll be waiting for you with the Balloons LOL, so look out.

Until Saturday Arvo see you all then.
Have a great Flight.

Carol
Old Aug 1st 2005, 9:05 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

I've followed your progress with interest. It must be nerve-wracking to be at this stage. you seem to be taking it all in your stride though, good on you and best of luck.

phyllis
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

This brought back so many memories...and a couple of tears as I remember how difficult it was saying goodbye to my parents a few weeks ago.

I wish you the best of luck with your move...I cant remember whereabouts youre moving to as Ive not been online for ages now. If you find somewhere as nice as here to live youll be ok.

Good luck and all the best.

Sarah x
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:56 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone.

Bye for now.

Best of luck, hope the final goodbyes arent too bad. Wishing you a safe journey & happy arrival in NZ.
Looking forward to your next installment along the way
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:59 am
Franklin

Hello Everyone.

Bye for now.

Hey - that's FUNTASTIC.