Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We probably won't go back to live in NZ

We probably won't go back to live in NZ

Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:19 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice
Default Re: We probably won't go back to live in NZ

True, though...
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Don
Let's pick you up on that then, given your comment in the last post.

Power - we didn't find it any cheaper at all. On a Kiwi wage it would be dearer. With a poorly built and insulated house it was dearer again.

Cars - you can get excellent value 7 year old Jap cars. Say, 35% less than in UK. Turn to nice German motors like BMWs, Mercs, Audis etc and NZ is more expensive than UK.

Houses - cheaper but poorly built. If it was permitted, how much would a wooden shed with a tin roof cost in the UK? That's what you get a lot of the time in NZ. Most of the 'better value for money' regarding houses in NZ can be explained by: a) cheaper plots, ie lots of building land (NZ is nearly as big as UK but only 4 million people vs 60 million); b) shoddy materials; c) poorly pad construction workers.

Rates/ council tax - cheaper in absolute terms in NZ, but not really as a % of average earnings.

Car insurance etc - NZ is cheap.
Sorry but what is nice about German cars or any European cars for that matter? Jap imports are relatively cheap as are the parts and they are reliable.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3129581.stm Cheers binman
Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:09 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by binman
Sorry but what is nice about German cars or any European cars for that matter? Jap imports are relatively cheap as are the parts and they are reliable.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3129581.stm Cheers binman
We have got a good BMW and I love it, it is probably the best car I have ever had, all the bits that should go clunk, go clunk. It's well made in every dept. It's 8 years old and today passed its MOT with no problems. Had to replace the shock absorbers a couple years back but apart from that, no problems. Good car, brilliantly made. Goes like hot sh*t off a shovel!!!

Wife's got a Volvo. Goodish car, had a few maintenance problems but should last us 20 years.

Can't see anything wrong with good European cars but just don't buy British unless you're buying British Japanese or British German!!!

Also got a Jap Toyota Hilux Surf 4WD. Probably the best car I have ever had (haha), it's low mileage and low maintenance and all the bits that should go clunk, go clunk. Probably the best of the 3! And while it doesn't go as fast as the other two, it's a nice relaxing car to drive and ideally suited to NZ or the Alps.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

[QUOTE=kiwijetpilot]there we go again is that all you can say "whinging pom", if you use the term pom make sure you understand what it means. Now about being racist! i certainly am not racist but I do angry when all hear about is how bad the english are etc etc when without the british over here you would be as backwards as some of the other pacific islands, how can we get blamed for the maori's eating macdonalds and getting fat! wow, we really are a powerful nation. What racist comment have i made exactly, everything is a fact. Your media people make rash judgements one day and then when the tide turns they change their minds - not professional, they should be reporting on news issues not making personal comments. the rugby being the prime example... what a year we all had when we upset your precious all blacks, it was how bad we were how bad we played and never once could a well done be said for going out and winning, but hey a year down the line and the super 12 teams are playing exactly the same tactics but now it is brilliant play.. what happened to it being boring and predictable. I'm sure its because you know that what is said over here is not read or listened to by the rest of the world whereas the comments made in britain are scrupalised by the worlds median (lets face it most of the news here is taken off either the british or americans). I have met some lovely kiwi's but the majority of them do live in this little cacoon that make them think on a small level, and its only the ones that have travelled to visit the 'real world' that understand that this country has a lot to offer but that it is not a player on the world stage and that most people when questioned have no idea where NZ is or probably care.
One last comment to you, this is a site for expats, for people who have gone out and made the effort to experience life in a different country so that they can decide where in the world they want to settle, and to be able to chat to people of similar experiences so why are you on here. Don't come onto our sites and make judgements about our thoughts on our travels and experiences when you are not in a similar position. Have you ever actually left NZ? Have you any idea what the world outside is like?
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=marbles]
Originally Posted by Tayberry
NZ will never been in the real world, it is full of too many narrow minded people. Unfortunatley the country really is so far away from the rest of the world that nobody is around to put its feet back on the ground. It took us 3 years to realise what the place was really about and nearly 1 1/2 years to organise going back, but with 3 weeks to go we can't wait. to hear proffesional people making professional statements and the media being accountable, and to not have to constantly hear racist remarks about the english, its a good job that my husband isn't writing this he could rant for years. I've loved being here but now its time to join the real world again and live amongst normal people.
Am with you on that...... .but shit, I have 5 months left and we have to sell our house. I am at the stage where every day feels like 5. Cannot WAIT to get back and get into the real world again. Looks like I am a Brit through and through! Who knew!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=marbles]
Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
there we go again is that all you can say "whinging pom", if you use the term pom make sure you understand what it means. Now about being racist! i certainly am not racist but I do angry when all hear about is how bad the english are etc etc when without the british over here you would be as backwards as some of the other pacific islands, how can we get blamed for the maori's eating macdonalds and getting fat! wow, we really are a powerful nation. What racist comment have i made exactly, everything is a fact. Your media people make rash judgements one day and then when the tide turns they change their minds - not professional, they should be reporting on news issues not making personal comments. the rugby being the prime example... what a year we all had when we upset your precious all blacks, it was how bad we were how bad we played and never once could a well done be said for going out and winning, but hey a year down the line and the super 12 teams are playing exactly the same tactics but now it is brilliant play.. what happened to it being boring and predictable. I'm sure its because you know that what is said over here is not read or listened to by the rest of the world whereas the comments made in britain are scrupalised by the worlds median (lets face it most of the news here is taken off either the british or americans). I have met some lovely kiwi's but the majority of them do live in this little cacoon that make them think on a small level, and its only the ones that have travelled to visit the 'real world' that understand that this country has a lot to offer but that it is not a player on the world stage and that most people when questioned have no idea where NZ is or probably care.
One last comment to you, this is a site for expats, for people who have gone out and made the effort to experience life in a different country so that they can decide where in the world they want to settle, and to be able to chat to people of similar experiences so why are you on here. Don't come onto our sites and make judgements about our thoughts on our travels and experiences when you are not in a similar position. Have you ever actually left NZ? Have you any idea what the world outside is like?
Kiwijetpilot was in the UK for 16 years. I think it was 16. So he has seen the benefits and the downsides. However he also did very nicely, thank you very much, from flying a jet in the UK. On a much higher salary and opportunity than he would if he had stayed here. I bet he brought a HUGE amount of $$$ with him, which makes his life fairly easy here now. Just guessing, he may not have but if he is anything like the other Kiwi pilots I know in Scotland then he will have.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:56 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

without the british over here you would be as backwards as some of the other pacific islands
That is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Nobody can survive without the mighty British empire, right?

What racist comment have i made exactly
You didn't - that was my whole point. You did, however make particularly insulting remarks when you implied that New Zealanders were not "normal people". Let me remind you:

"I've loved being here but now its time to join the real world again and live amongst normal people."

You also accused New Zealanders of being narrow-minded:

"NZ will never been in the real world, it is full of too many narrow minded people."

This from a country that was still imprisoning women who wanted to vote, whilst NZ was actually allowing them to vote. We are anything but narrow-minded.

You then accuse Kiwis of being racist:

"and to not have to constantly hear racist remarks about the english"

You have made three deeply insulting comments about NZers, and yet you get upset when Kiwis insult Brits. What a hypocrite.

Your comments on the media are so woefully innacurrate that I don't know where to start. Suffice it to say that the world no longer looks to the BBC, we have moved on to CNN now. The BBC is not the paragon of virtue you think it is, it is highly politicised and is effectively a mouthpiece for Big Tone (who has appointed the last few Directors-General, all staunch Labour supporters).

Don't come onto our sites and make judgements about our thoughts on our travels and experiences when you are not in a similar position. Have you ever actually left NZ? Have you any idea what the world outside is like?
I was originally born in Guildford, emigrated to NZ, went back to Europe for 16 years, returning last year. I have lived in seven countries around the world. So yes, I think I do.

On the subject of Beemers, I do miss my Beemer (M5), however I could have another one here for about 10-20% more. I nearly brought my M5 back, but it wasn't going to be economic to do so with the prices here being what they are (would have cost me 3000 pounds to ship it). I did research it very carefully at the time.

I also have a Hilux Surf - great vehicle - and a Skyline GTS which is easily the equal of the BMW in terms of comfort and performance. Better in some ways, worse in others. I wouldn't own another BMW here unless I could pursuade Euro Car Parts in the UK to mail parts over here.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
That is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Nobody can survive without the mighty British empire, right?

You didn't - that was my whole point. You did, however make particularly insulting remarks when you implied that New Zealanders were not "normal people". Let me remind you:

"I've loved being here but now its time to join the real world again and live amongst normal people."

You also accused New Zealanders of being narrow-minded:

"NZ will never been in the real world, it is full of too many narrow minded people."

This from a country that was still imprisoning women who wanted to vote, whilst NZ was actually allowing them to vote. We are anything but narrow-minded.

You then accuse Kiwis of being racist:

"and to not have to constantly hear racist remarks about the english"

You have made three deeply insulting comments about NZers, and yet you get upset when Kiwis insult Brits. What a hypocrite.

Your comments on the media are so woefully innacurrate that I don't know where to start. Suffice it to say that the world no longer looks to the BBC, we have moved on to CNN now. The BBC is not the paragon of virtue you think it is, it is highly politicised and is effectively a mouthpiece for Big Tone (who has appointed the last few Directors-General, all staunch Labour supporters).

I was originally born in Guildford, emigrated to NZ, went back to Europe for 16 years, returning last year. I have lived in seven countries around the world. So yes, I think I do.

On the subject of Beemers, I do miss my Beemer (M5), however I could have another one here for about 10-20% more. I nearly brought my M5 back, but it wasn't going to be economic to do so with the prices here being what they are (would have cost me 3000 pounds to ship it). I did research it very carefully at the time.

I also have a Hilux Surf - great vehicle - and a Skyline GTS which is easily the equal of the BMW in terms of comfort and performance. Better in some ways, worse in others. I wouldn't own another BMW here unless I could pursuade Euro Car Parts in the UK to mail parts over here.

There are lots of countries in Europe I would like to live in. I fancy France at some point. Where did you like best Kiwijetpilot? and why ? my parents lived in Italy for a while with work and loved it. Also, do you know who operates out of Scotland on the 737? thanks
Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:52 am
Banned

Well, I love France - lived in Chateau D'Oleron (an island), Toulouse (nice place), and Paris. Spent time in Bergerac, Chambery, and Calvi (Corsica). Fine eating, laid-back lifestyle, government pays for most stuff. Excellent healthcare.

Italy was great (Bergamo), more frenetic than France though. Lots more fun if you are into partying or just living fast. I enjoy the Italian passion for life that is not quite as apparent in France- they really know how to have fun. I also enjoyed some time in Tuscany, and that would be my favourite spot in Europe.

Lived in Brussels for a while, not my favourite place.

Lived in Amman (Jordan), which was fun and exciting.

I also spent a lot of time in Innsbruck (Austria), Maastricht (Netherlands), Kobe (Japan), Ballston Lake (upstate New York), and Los Angeles.

737's out of Scotland - Jet2, Channel Express, BA, British Midland, Easyjet, Ryanair, ummm I think that is about it... apart from the charter operators, but they aren't usually based in Scotland, they just position in there. Flybe will eventually be operating whatever new jets it gets, out of Edinburgh - they could be 737s.