Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We probably won't go back to live in NZ

We probably won't go back to live in NZ

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:42 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We probably won't go back to live in NZ

Originally Posted by Cassa
T Get these woman away from the craft pens and paper and into some IT training, or into some basic training in skills other than having children.

As a 31 year old, educated Scot, I find I have nothing in common with woman my age here.

New Zealand wont be taken seriously if it can't take itself seriously.
Educated? I think not! Bigoted and narrow minded perhaps. Do you always blame your personal failures (and clearly there have been many) on others? Get a grip.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Educated? I think not! Bigoted and narrow minded perhaps. Do you always blame your personal failures (and clearly there have been many) on others? Get a grip.
What personal failures? You don't know me. How can you say I have failures? I have none actually. Been fairly lucky until I came to NZ and had a brainless ignorant young hoon drive into my house. So explain what you mean clearly there have been many means?

What is it about you people?? do you only want pink fluffy clouds and not have any real opinions and thoughts?????

Ok, from now on, I will only say lovely warm fluffy things about New Zealand.

One things is clear though, the Brits on here are fairly honest about the problems the UK faces and what REAL life is like there. We know its not all roses. maybe you could do the same sometime???
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:58 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

What was it about the windows rotting after 10 years and people living on postage stamp bits of land?
That was what happened to our house in Livingston. it wasn't a comment on Livingston, I was pointing out that many UK houses leave a lot to be desired when it comes to quality, and that most of the newer builds have miniscule gardens. Our garden was less than the area of the house, and was delivered by truck (they just tipped the topsoil into the backyard and left us to get on with it).

Many things about Livingston were great, for example the Special Care Baby Unit at St Johns Hospital (used that for two weeks), the local pool (Bubbles) was excellent, the shopping centre there now is very large, and there is the McArthur Park outlet centre.

An FO on the 737 with PBlue, Freedom, JetConnect are on a approx $70K
An F/O with Easyjet starts on £29,754. That is NZD76,736.45 . So your Easyjet F/O, flying the same equipment as your PBlue/Freedom/JetConnect F/O, is earning only NZD6,000 more, in a country where it is a lot more expensive to live. Seems like the Kiwi pilot gets the best deal there. Check http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Jobs/Pilot...dbenefits.html for more info.

That site will also tell you than an Easyjet skipper starts on 60K pounds, that would be NZD155,000 (approx), which is not even close to the 120K pounds that you are talking about. Of course you already know that Easyjet crews are better paid than virtually all UK pilots outside of BA, and whatever Britannia is called these days... in my company over there, jet skippers started on about 48K pounds. That is a lot less than some of the skippers working for NZ airlines.

There is little point in arguing about which country is better, which flying is better (although you must miss flying in Europe!)
Quite right, and I do miss flying in Europe, far more interesting than flying here.

HUbby misses flying in the UK, he thinks that they try and reinvent the wheel in terms of flying here
He is being very polite. The structure and control of aviation in NZ is appalling... don't get me started...

Hope it all works out back in the UK... get your hubby to say hi to Heathrow Director for me (air taffic controller).
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Is it necessary to be so inflammatory? Why can't people post their personal opinions, be they "negative" or "positive", without being shot down in flames? Exactly where has Cassa failed? What puts you in the position to comment on her life? I don't think anyone who moves thousands of miles away from home, regardless of whether the move is successful or not, is a failure. It takes a lot of courage actually.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
That was what happened to our house in Livingston. it wasn't a comment on Livingston, I was pointing out that many UK houses leave a lot to be desired when it comes to quality, and that most of the newer builds have miniscule gardens. Our garden was less than the area of the house, and was delivered by truck (they just tipped the topsoil into the backyard and left us to get on with it).

Many things about Livingston were great, for example the Special Care Baby Unit at St Johns Hospital (used that for two weeks), the local pool (Bubbles) was excellent, the shopping centre there now is very large, and there is the McArthur Park outlet centre.

An F/O with Easyjet starts on £29,754. That is NZD76,736.45 . So your Easyjet F/O, flying the same equipment as your PBlue/Freedom/JetConnect F/O, is earning only NZD6,000 more, in a country where it is a lot more expensive to live. Seems like the Kiwi pilot gets the best deal there. Check http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Jobs/Pilot...dbenefits.html for more info.

That site will also tell you than an Easyjet skipper starts on 60K pounds, that would be NZD155,000 (approx), which is not even close to the 120K pounds that you are talking about. Of course you already know that Easyjet crews are better paid than virtually all UK pilots outside of BA, and whatever Britannia is called these days... in my company over there, jet skippers started on about 48K pounds. That is a lot less than some of the skippers working for NZ airlines.

Quite right, and I do miss flying in Europe, far more interesting than flying here.

He is being very polite. The structure and control of aviation in NZ is appalling... don't get me started...

Hope it all works out back in the UK... get your hubby to say hi to Heathrow Director for me (air taffic controller).
Thanks. he is looking forward to flying UK airspace again. Not looking at Easyjet..... lots of exiting things out of Scotland now and north of England.

Good luck with your training school. I hope that things continue to grow in flying for NZ.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:17 am

What personal failures? You don't know me. How can you say I have failures? I have none actually. Been fairly lucky until I came to NZ and had a brainless ignorant young hoon drive into my house. So explain what you mean clearly there have been many means?

What is it about you people?? do you only want pink fluffy clouds and not have any real opinions and thoughts?????

Ok, from now on, I will only say lovely warm fluffy things about New Zealand.

One things is clear though, the Brits on here are fairly honest about the problems the UK faces and what REAL life is like there. We know its not all roses. maybe you could do the same sometime???
When you start making nasty comments about NZ woman and try to imply you are so much better - were you referring to me and should we compare qualifications?

Wanna step outside?

"What is it about you people".... I could ask the same thing of you. There is nothing wrong with honest opinions but that bigoted post of yours has certainly angered me. BTW - I'm not interested in any "warm fluffy things " either and I'm perfectly aware of the problems in NZ. But this generalisation I see here at times is both ridiculous and ignorant .
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Tayberry
Is it necessary to be so inflammatory? Why can't people post their personal opinions, be they "negative" or "positive", without being shot down in flames? Exactly where has Cassa failed? What puts you in the position to comment on her life? I don't think anyone who moves thousands of miles away from home, regardless of whether the move is successful or not, is a failure. It takes a lot of courage actually.

"Get these woman away from the craft pens and paper and into some IT training, or into some basic training in skills other than having children.

As a 31 year old, educated Scot, I find I have nothing in common with woman my age here."

You think this is nice Tayberry?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

When you start making nasty comments about NZ woman and try to imply you are so much better - were you referring to me and should we compare qualifications?

Wanna step outside?

"What is it about you people".... I could ask the same thing of you. There is nothing wrong with honest opinions but that bigoted post of yours has certainly angered me. BTW - I'm not interested in any "warm fluffy things " either and I'm perfectly aware of the problems in NZ. But this generalisation I see here at times is both ridiculous and ignorant .
Not really sure what to say to you. 'Wanna step outside' has left me speechless.

I am sure people do not come here to view slagging matches so lets just leave it.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:36 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

lots of exiting things out of Scotland now and north of England.
If he is thinking about flybe, that is the crowd I used to work for.

I hope that things continue to grow in flying for NZ.
They will, but only because Pacific Rim nations are going to start sending trainees here in larger numbers.

I'll let you get on with your other battles now...
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

"Get these woman away from the craft pens and paper and into some IT training, or into some basic training in skills other than having children.

As a 31 year old, educated Scot, I find I have nothing in common with woman my age here."

You think this is nice Tayberry?
Good Editing from my original post Elizabeth. Are you a journalist?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:47 am

Good Editing from my original post Elizabeth. Are you a journalist?
You can tell?

It was pretty bad

Last edited by ElizabethC; Mar 22nd 2005 at 6:50 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:52 am

Not really sure what to say to you. 'Wanna step outside' has left me speechless.

I am sure people do not come here to view slagging matches so lets just leave it.
Twas a bit of a joke Cassa...
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:54 am
Banned

Tayberry

Hmmm, and I thought a forum was a place where people could present personal opinions AND not just facts.
Sure. As long as you don't confuse opinions with facts.

Why do you take such personal offence for me saying this?
If you think I took offence, you completely misread me. I was merely objecting to your perjorative statement:

"I just want to feel like I'm living in the real world. Not stuck in the Bubble Land"

Sorry if you find the word "perjorative" too grandiose.

Additionally, where do you get the idea you are in the position to "correct" people of their own personal experiences/opinions?
I don't. I merely correct them when they confuse opinion with fact. I just quote facts, with links, and figures.

Ooops, I'm sorry, I forgot to add "it's my personal opinion" when I wrote about the media being garbage in NZ.
You gave your opinion, I gave mine. What's your problem? Upset that I don't agree with you?

This is just tiresome..another example of grandiose thinking.
Better go an look up the definition of "grandiose". I'm sorry you find the use of correct english tiresome.

I DO NOT have a chip on my shoulder
I think you do, it is my opinion, I'm entitled to it, don't you DARE challenge my opinion...

You do denigrate people who hold conflicting opinions from yourself.
Show me an example.

When you are dealing with emotions and experiences, I would have thought the latter form has far more credence in a forum like this.
I am surprised that you think that a discussion of such important topics should not include the actual, correct facts.

I apologise for making such a personal attack on you but I do not appreciate being singled out for making some negative comments which don't conform to your beliefs or "fit in" with your facts.
That's OK, I wasn't offended. Just bemused.

Last edited by kiwijetpilot; Mar 22nd 2005 at 6:57 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:59 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWW
The same reason people leave Adelaide and the regional areas of Oz to go to Sydney and Melbourne.

Do you really think the cost of living is cheaper in Sydney, or the weather better in Melbourne?

The people who leave NZ to move to Oz either tend to be younger, ready to make their way in the world, or oldies off to the Gold Coast to spend their last days in the sun.

Due to the fact that most of the head-offices of the major companies reside in Oz there is a natural ceiling to how far you can progress up the corporate ladder, I can quite see why people who feel this is important would move to Oz, Europe or the States. I can also see why a young go-getter who has been brought up in NZ would want to give a bigger, more dynamic environment a go.

Just like the Scots, Irish and Northerners have always gone to London for a spell, some stay...just like NZers in Oz.

Is London a better place than the rest of the country? ...I think not.

This is no way a snipe Don, but it does not supprise me at all that you are not coming back. I can remember having a discussion with you over a year ago where you stated that you would probably go to Oz after you had got your NZ passport, and that was before you had even arrived here. A couple of months in Dunedin looking a penguins hardly scratches the surface my good man.

I would also like to add my support to KiwiJetPilot and echo what he is saying....good job someone can write the truth on here.
I think historically the reason kiwis or anyone for that matter have gone and lived in other countries is that in them they have a yearning to explore further afield.

More kiwis have left NZ since the economic rationalism of the 80's (GST,etc) took place. Even though OZ went down a similar path in ways, it took its time about it, and the GST here (only been in a few years) does not extend to fresh food and also OZ took off the wholesales sales tax. A promise made by the labour gov of 87 in NZ, but that never eventuated in the main.

They come here cos wages are higher, many items are cheaper (not all tho), and there are more opportunities to find employment and advance,at least that's the common perception. The accuracy of it needs to be assessed I think.

For me, I am here till I finish my university degree then I am looking long and hard at leaving the place. I would like to think that if I wanted to, I could secure employment in the field I am qualifying in and that the remuneration will be realistic given my qualifications, workload, etc.

Australia may hold some economic advantage re:lifestyle but they have a lot to learn about being interested in and friendly towards others. And as for weather, I prefer to live in a country where the grass is always green and the sun never that hot that you can't comfortably get around outdoors without needing a drink every 20-30 mins or so as you desperately try to walk the shaded route.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:26 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

pmsl laughing at the fact you bought a Barrett Home ha ha..... well I suppose someone has too lol..... and you were surprised that it fell apart!!!!

ps can we calm down pls on the big words lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.