Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are we mad??? Some advice pls.

Are we mad??? Some advice pls.

Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all
Default Re: Are we mad??? Some advice pls.

[QUOTE=Genesis;4612859]
Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Would be grateful to hear about any areas worth moving to!

Palmerston North!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Thousand times Palmy North!!! Came here by accident. All we knew was that it was not beachside (half an hour away..to me from the most landlocked county in the UK thats my front garden!!!!!!!) it was dull, boring and you would not venture here ...because so many other places are more beautiful. Indeed there are far more beautiful places, but palmerston North is exceedingly affordable, showing great positive growth and from my perpspective is soooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful by comparison to inner city Northampton. From my balcony I can see rolling meadows, mountains...awesome. The neighbour hood is what I dreamed of in the Uk but could never afford. There is so much to do here for kids and adults alike. Endless toddler groups, great pubs, endless restaurants, a real cafe type buzz and a huge square to die for. Endless free entertainment, 10 cinemas, jet boating, white water rafting, mountain tramping, go karting, 3 golf courses, 2 bowling alleys, a climbing wall, crazy golf, a great river for fishing (licence is £30 per annum) the cheapeat aviation tuition in the world apparently, the most amazing swimming pool complex, indoor outdoor for less than a £1 entry!!!!! No traffic, limited aggro for a university city with 70k plus people, most of them young, 2.5 hours to the ski slopes...am I in heaven???? COME TO PALMY!! We all adore our lives here. We wish for nothing and we feel we have everything a family with youngsters could ever wish bfor..hey we got 25 parks, open spaces and reserves. we even have a huge minature railway in the main park...that goes thru a mini rain forest!!!!! Come see the Manawatu..come see Palerston North..its not called young heart easy living for nought. We love it. Which is nice!
WOW! So much to do, when would you fit it all in! Really nice to hear someone so happy with where they have settled. Mind you, it seems that 99% of people are happy that they made they move!

How hard is it to find a job in that area?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=RedMonsk;4614606]
Originally Posted by Genesis

WOW! So much to do, when would you fit it all in! Really nice to hear someone so happy with where they have settled. Mind you, it seems that 99% of people are happy that they made they move!

How hard is it to find a job in that area?
Shed loadsa jobs mate...we have virtually nil employment in the Manawatu..place is really showing positive sustainable growth. Couple that to affordable housing in relation to elsewhere in the country, the strategic geographical location of Palmy and the fact that I live here..hey you're onto a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked at our weekend rag recently, The Weekend Manawatu Standard and I could not believe the amount of jobs here!! We have evrything from labouring, skilled trades right thru to senior lecturing jobs and I happen to know that Palmy City Council is looking for a CEO. I know a bit about the job and who they want as I used to work for the council..do you know anyone?? Its a big job..responsible for something like a billion $NZ of infrastructure, assets and expenditure!!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:50 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Palmerston North!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Thousand times Palmy North!!! Came here by accident. All we knew was that it was not beachside (half an hour away..to me from the most landlocked county in the UK thats my front garden!!!!!!!) it was dull, boring and you would not venture here ...because so many other places are more beautiful. Indeed there are far more beautiful places, but palmerston North is exceedingly affordable, showing great positive growth and from my perpspective is soooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful by comparison to inner city Northampton. From my balcony I can see rolling meadows, mountains...awesome. The neighbour hood is what I dreamed of in the Uk but could never afford. There is so much to do here for kids and adults alike. Endless toddler groups, great pubs, endless restaurants, a real cafe type buzz and a huge square to die for. Endless free entertainment, 10 cinemas, jet boating, white water rafting, mountain tramping, go karting, 3 golf courses, 2 bowling alleys, a climbing wall, crazy golf, a great river for fishing (licence is £30 per annum) the cheapeat aviation tuition in the world apparently, the most amazing swimming pool complex, indoor outdoor for less than a £1 entry!!!!! No traffic, limited aggro for a university city with 70k plus people, most of them young, 2.5 hours to the ski slopes...am I in heaven???? COME TO PALMY!! We all adore our lives here. We wish for nothing and we feel we have everything a family with youngsters could ever wish bfor..hey we got 25 parks, open spaces and reserves. we even have a huge minature railway in the main park...that goes thru a mini rain forest!!!!! Come see the Manawatu..come see Palerston North..its not called young heart easy living for nought. We love it. Which is nice!

Hello Dom,

Pleased to hear you & yours are still extremely happy living your new life. It always make me smile.

Serious question though - would you have moved if your UK life was like your NZ one?

I have to ask since it sounds very much like our life and having spent a fair amount of time in NZ (kiwi hubbie) and realised that for us the grass is not greener (well I know it is literally because of all the rain!!), we wonder whether we would be completely mad to change it and if in reality, we could not even be as well off (in lifestyle terms) as we are in the UK. Albeit hubbie would be very pleased to quit his 4-5 hour daily commute. And I LOVE the stars. (Is this reason enough? ) So answer to the quandry from a very happy soul would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
Kato33...
please feel free to start another thread....

This one will now transmogrify to a "world vs Campbells"...

Karma to Southerner, are you going to be strong enough to avoid biting back?
Oh no not again.............seems to be all I hear about that one. Do they not like life or what!!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadineopotiki
Hi Nici

My Dad lives in opotiki - Bay of Plenty, have you ever been its sooooooo beautiful - may favorite is Whakatane but all areas are great - If I was you I would deffo go fo it - if you need any info let me know

Good luck

Nadine

Info please, on anything you like about the areas you mentioned.

Nici
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:28 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hello Dom,

Pleased to hear you & yours are still extremely happy living your new life. It always make me smile.

Serious question though - would you have moved if your UK life was like your NZ one?

I have to ask since it sounds very much like our life and having spent a fair amount of time in NZ (kiwi hubbie) and realised that for us the grass is not greener (well I know it is literally because of all the rain!!), we wonder whether we would be completely mad to change it and if in reality, we could not even be as well off (in lifestyle terms) as we are in the UK. Albeit hubbie would be very pleased to quit his 4-5 hour daily commute. And I LOVE the stars. (Is this reason enough? ) So answer to the quandry from a very happy soul would be much appreciated.
Could someone please help - I don't understand why I can't edit my post. I've had this problem before. I would like to remove a chunk of it but can't.
The 'edit' button on bottom right is absent. Please HELP someone. Anyone? Thanks.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Could someone please help - I don't understand why I can't edit my post. I've had this problem before. I would like to remove a chunk of it but can't.
The 'edit' button on bottom right is absent. Please HELP someone. Anyone? Thanks.
I thinkl the edit button only works for 2 hours after posting or something like that. So within two hours you can edit, after that you are stuck with what you posted
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12
I thinkl the edit button only works for 2 hours after posting or something like that. So within two hours you can edit, after that you are stuck with what you posted
Thanks. A bit harsh though isn't it? Doesn't take into account the fact that some people (like me sadly) ponder on things for ages. Aah well, so be it.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:23 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

... we wonder whether we would be completely mad to change it and if in reality, we could not even be as well off (in lifestyle terms) as we are in the UK. Albeit hubbie would be very pleased to quit his 4-5 hour daily commute.
Thats 16-20 hours spent commuting in any week - thats a lot of reasons for a change.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Dom,

Hello!! Am I right in thinking you are in Auckland? Would I have moved from the UK if things were as good here...tricky one...the thing NZ has that the UK will NEVER, EVER have is space, freedom from the droves (well in most of NZ anyway..maybe not some of the bigger places perchance!).

I would think about an extended trip to the UK to see how it went but I would not sell up. Have you thought about a move to another part of NZ..thats what I would do if I were you? I don't know how anyone could trade a life in NZ for one in the UK..permanently anyway.

The UK is a great place, its beautiful and has lots to offer, but is choking in gridlock and has way too many problems that impacted on our every day lives. Here in NZ all the nation's problems rarely if ever impact upon us. Finally even if I wanted to go back to the UK I could never allow myself to take my kids away from this almost perfect environment I have for them in Palmy. Great education, a great city with endless things to do, the beach on our doorstep and so much natural beauty..by God NZ's a great place!!!!!!! You'll get little whinging from this pom!!!!! PM me if you like I'll pass my number on we could chew the fat, aye?

Dom, Kate et al XXXX
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by southerner
Thats 16-20 hours spent commuting in any week - thats a lot of reasons for a change.

Hello

I know. It's a hell of a lot isn't it? Actually it's not, it's even worse than that - it's 20-25 hours a week! He does work a 5day week, although is supposed to have one day a week from home - good in theory.

However, aside from that, our life is as close to perfect as I think it could get. The problem I have in contemplating NZ to live is that we really don't think we can improve our lot. We are close to (some/my) family & friends, live in a great area, have happy children in a fab school, have excellent facilities on the doorstep, good house etc etc. We aren't rich, but have the space, clean air, outdoors lifestyle etc etc that many people move for. Admittedly I am sure hubbie could spend his commuting time on better things and it's not a good way to spend time.

It's not a huge dilemna. I was just curious. We're happy and think we'll live in NZ at some point, just not sure when and probably not forever.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Apr 9th 2007 at 8:56 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:51 pm

Hello!! Am I right in thinking you are in Auckland?
Hi. Thanks for your reply.

No, hubbie is from Akl, but we live in the UK.

So I had to ask since (if you read my reply to Southerner), life is very good to us here and whilst we get tempted by moving (for work reasons really - hubbie & I would hope to do something together), we also think the UK is a great place to live and are raising very happy healthy children here. This is primarily because of where we live and have lived, along with our down to earth pragmatic outlook on life having both lived multiple expat childhoods. Which of course means I have permanently itchy feet!

So just wondered. Will get in touch re: planning next visit. Not convinced we've been to the part of NZ where we could better our lives though. Although I know I could be happy in a couple of pockets of Auckland. But we would ideally like rural cafe culture space very close to the sea. And with LOTS to do. And fantastic schools. And cute affordable homes. Not much of a wish list!

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Apr 9th 2007 at 8:56 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

[. But we would ideally like rural cafe culture space very close to the sea. And with LOTS to do. And fantastic schools. And cute affordable homes. Not much of a wish list! [/QUOTE]

Sounds like Palmerston North to me. Beach 35 mins, Welly 2hrs. Tramping 10 mins, skiing 2.5 hours, Taupo 2.75hrs. Affordable housing..loads of coffee bars, an awesome Square and sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much to do for kids and adults alike. I would not wat to live anywhere else. We have superlative educational facilities too(adult and child) and almost zero unemployment. We have the ranges that flank the city a great river and over 25 parks, reserves and open spaces. Crime is here (as everywhere but minimal) and the locals are friendly, positive and welcoming. It is our little nirvana!! We adore Palmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What does Mr Karen do?? Where do you live in the UK??
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:18 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I know. It's a hell of a lot isn't it? Actually it's not, it's even worse than that - it's 20-25 hours a week! He does work a 5day week, although is supposed to have one day a week from home - good in theory.

However, aside from that, our life is as close to perfect as I think it could get. The problem I have in contemplating NZ to live is that we really don't think we can improve our lot. We are close to (some/my) family & friends, live in a great area, have happy children in a fab school, have excellent facilities on the doorstep, good house etc etc. We aren't rich, but have the space, clean air, outdoors lifestyle etc etc that many people move for. Admittedly I am sure hubbie could spend his commuting time on better things and it's not a good way to spend time.

It's not a huge dilemna. I was just curious. We're happy and think we'll live in NZ at some point, just not sure when and probably not forever.
Sounds like you are about in the same situation we were in 4-5 years ago, before we moved to NZ. One brit, one kiwi, two kids, lots of commuting, but lived in a good spot with a great standard of living. Who knows if we'll stay in NZ forever, but for the moment its the right place for us, and especially for the kids.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by southerner
Sounds like you are about in the same situation we were in 4-5 years ago, before we moved to NZ. One brit, one kiwi, two kids, lots of commuting, but lived in a good spot with a great standard of living. Who knows if we'll stay in NZ forever, but for the moment its the right place for us, and especially for the kids.

Thanks for that Southerner. It is very comforting to know that someone has been in the same boat. Expectations are largely set by comparison and whilst it's very easy to see how NZ would generally beat a stereotypical media hyped crime ridden dirty inner city UK life, it is harder to see how it could beat a family friendly, clean, beautiful, spacious nirvana type one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.