Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are we mad??? Some advice pls.

Wikiposts

Are we mad??? Some advice pls.

Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we mad??? Some advice pls.

Originally Posted by m100
Ok, BUT what if you dont like it there and it doesnt live up to your expectations?? We are in Sydney, came here last Oct, I had no intention of ever going back to the UK, but we just dont like it here and are going home at the end of this month, thank god we still have our house!. Have a look at the 'moving back to the UK' forum, it might change your mind! Good luck in whatever you decide
Thanks m100

Sorry to hear things aren't working out.
Are you trying somewhere else or coming straight home?

K
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kato33
Thanks m100

Sorry to hear things aren't working out.
Are you trying somewhere else or coming straight home?

K

We are coming home, this emigation lark has made us realise that our old life was good and the grass really isnt any greener, we have teenagers who are not happy here, I think if you have younger kids it may be easier, but me and OH dont like it here either so would have gone home anyway! How old are your kids?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

shell and mark has a brilliant futureshell and mark has a brilliant futureshell and mark has a brilliant futureshell and mark has a brilliant futureshell and mark has a brilliant futureshell and mark has a brilliant future

hi kato
me and the OH decided late last year to take the plunge and sell up and come over at the mo the house is on the market we have had viewings but no offers ...we have said we arn't going till the house is sold so still working and saving ...we dont want anything here to bring us back .. told some people at work but not the bosses they will find out when the party invites go out
We dont have any visa's ...hopeing to travel for a while to fnd out where we want to be then hopefully find work...i know having kids limits you a little but GO FOR ITmay be we will meet for drinks somewhere one day

anyway good luck in what you decide

shell and mark
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Squidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really nice

Right here goes..................

OH decided last night that he really wants to live in Bay of Plenty.
He has also got the idea into his head to sell everything here, including house and car, put a few things in storage and take the plunge.

Are we mad to just get up and go to NZ, secure a job once there and then apply for visa's?
OH is a truck driver and I am in business administration. We can see theres loads of work. We thought if we give it a month and then if nothing comes of it we would come back home.

What do you lot think? Should we just go for it with the 3 kids in tow? I have been told by an agent that we should have no problem securing work. Whats everyone elses opinion? Has any of you done the same?

I need alot of advice on this as it a HUGE step but I think with a bit of help from this forum it should make my mind up completely.

Cheers
Nici
We moved to Tauranga, actually Papamoa orginally. My OH is a Kiwi and wanted to come back. Suffice to say we are now in Auckland, what happened you may ask ???

We arrived, I for one full of hope, Dec 2005. We found a place to rent, my OH was in work beginning of February, I took until beginning of May !!! Jan/Feb are not the best times to get jobs, everyone is on holiday, but I found Tauranga quite clicky and not as friendly as I remembered from being there on holidays (4 times so I knew the area).
We moved to Auckland Dec 06, OH was offered an opportunity too good to turn down, it got us out of the Bay. Don't get me wrong, it is a lovely place for a holiday or to retire to or a 9-5 job, but not a career.
I would also add the job I got was for a major security company and I was suprised to learn of the crime rate in the area but that is the world over.
So here we are now in SE Auckland, we live in a beautiful part, very rural and only 40 mins from City Centre. We both have good jobs But we would still like to back in the Cotswolds of UK. (Yes even hubby has said how much NZ has changed in 7 years). It's funny over the whole process of moving countries I have learnt a number of valuable lessons.
The grass is never greener
Everywhere is the same it's the geography that is different, ie you still have to work and pay bills etc
Friends are more important and money
I am soooooooo glad I tried this as I would hate to wonder what if, but for me I prefer my old life to the new.
I WOULD STRESS that we are not all the same and you must try it but never be too proud to change your mind. I have met a number of Brits over here that love it and I have met some who would not admit that they had made a mistake.
Good Luck
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

He has also got the idea into his head to sell everything here, including house and car, put a few things in storage and take the plunge.

Are we mad to just get up and go to NZ, secure a job once there and then apply for visa's?
OH is a truck driver and I am in business administration. We can see theres loads of work. We thought if we give it a month and then if nothing comes of it we would come back home.

What do you lot think? Should we just go for it with the 3 kids in tow? I have been told by an agent that we should have no problem securing work. Whats everyone elses opinion? Has any of you done the same?

I need alot of advice on this as it a HUGE step but I think with a bit of help from this forum it should make my mind up completely.

Cheers
Nici
Hi Nici
You definately need to go for it. Don't give up after a month though, you've got six before you have to go back.
We sold everything in the UK last summer and arrived here in Nov with our 3 kids in tow. My husband got a job within days of arriving although due to xmas he did'nt get his work permit till January. The kids are now happy in school, and we are applying for residency. You only get one chance so go for it.
Carole
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

We did it over 4 years ago, just arrived with two kids and a suitcase each. Didn't even have a home lined up! It was excellent. We got residency with no problem. Apart from missing family and friends I have never regretted it. Our kids are very happy in school, it didn't take long for them to settle.
I'm from Essex to, although I left as soon as I turned 19, many years ago! What town are you in?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Nici

Nici,let me get a hold of what you've said here-you want to sell everything,move then give it a month? Yes you're mad. As a ferret with a bobble hat and matching shoes.
Either sell up and give it way way longer,or come and have a look first.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

dave and sam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
we moved to christchurch in august 2005, we sold everything and came over with just our personal belongings, we have a daughter who is nearly 3. My advice is come over first if you havent already, sell your house as it means you have to give it a proper go and 1 month is definitely not enough you will still be in holiday mode. life is very different and you need to get in to the kiwi way of life it is difficult and it took me at least a year until i felt like i didn't want to go back, but you really need to give it at least 2 years to settle. we got all our immigration stuff done first and my OH had a job already, but at least get a work visa or something first so the kids can get in to school as you need to a normal way of life a soon as possible. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Bay of Plenty has beaches to die for, beautiful white sands to hot to walk bare foot.
The kids will find it fun - this area can average on 3 earthquake a day, check this www.geonet.org.nz/recent_quakes.html
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Are we mad??? Some advice pls.

Originally Posted by shell and mark
hi kato
me and the OH decided late last year to take the plunge and sell up and come over at the mo the house is on the market we have had viewings but no offers ...we have said we arn't going till the house is sold so still working and saving ...we dont want anything here to bring us back .. told some people at work but not the bosses they will find out when the party invites go out
We dont have any visa's ...hopeing to travel for a while to fnd out where we want to be then hopefully find work...i know having kids limits you a little but GO FOR ITmay be we will meet for drinks somewhere one day

anyway good luck in what you decide

shell and mark
I will bring the bottle you bring a plate..............is that what we do in NZ
Look forward to meeting everyone once there.
We are going for it. YES I will miss the family and friends, you are all correct on that, but my life is for my children and they always come first. Its no good for them here. My son (9) was chased with a knife the other day by an 11 year old this is what the UK is coming too and I will not let my kids get caught up in it. Not saying I dont love where we live. We have a nice home and good jobs but I have to put those things aside. We will never have enough money to give our kids a good start so what better thing to give them than an opportunity to live in either NZ, UK or OZ.

I originally said a month only because we can take that time off work knowing our jobs will still be waiting for us but if I am honest I will give it till as long as it takes to find work.

Its great to hear from all those telling me to be cautious, I know we should be, but I do believe that if you want something so much you will ALWAYS achieve it. Albeit sooner or later.

As for the earthquakes I like a tipple or too so should feel right at home when the ground is wobbling about a bit.

Cheers to you all for giving me somethings to think about.

Kato
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi Nici
You definately need to go for it. Don't give up after a month though, you've got six before you have to go back.
We sold everything in the UK last summer and arrived here in Nov with our 3 kids in tow. My husband got a job within days of arriving although due to xmas he did'nt get his work permit till January. The kids are now happy in school, and we are applying for residency. You only get one chance so go for it.
Carole
Will keep the xmas thing in mind and may leave just after the new year to give ourselves the best chance.
Cheers for the encouragement.

Kato
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I say sell, sell Sell!

By not selling, and leaving aside the mental ease of going back, you are stacking the odds against yourselves financially by not having the benefit of the equity you've spent your lives building up in your house. There are some truly wonderful houses and areas to live in, in NZ, and also some truly dreadful ones - just like anywhere. Coming over here and spending a few months in a cheap, run-down rental is not the way to decide whether NZ is for you. Read the posts of those who go back, and a for a huge proportion lack of money is a big factor.

Go for it, but give yourselves the best chance of success
Old Apr 5th 2007, 10:11 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Some people take huge gambles in their lives. For some it works out, for others it doesn't. Some people live their lives trapped in routine, take two week holidays to Spain (and eat fish and chips, expect everyone to speak English and complain its too hot). For the people that haven't taken gambles (and I've met a few), they live with many regrets. For the ones that took a gamble and it didn't work out, they either tend to think the world is against them, or they take their experience and learn. We took a gamble and moved to Mexico, we had a nearly two year old at the time, and I was pregnant. It didn't work out, we got into debt, I got very sick, Steve's company screwed us over. But it made us appreciate the support of our family and friends. We decided we loved the country and hope to buy a holiday home out there eventually, we took the experience and we learnt from it, although it wasn't an easy time for us. We had to move back in with my parents, and that was tough. We were lucky though to have that safety net. Now Steve has a great English job, and we live a wonderful live in NZ. Your'll definetly have hurdles, it won't be plane sailing, and there will be times where you think you've made a mistake. But sometimes you really have to get out and make a change, do something that makes other people coil in terror. Wether you choose to sell your house or not, that's up to you to plan. But my advice regarding moving is to follow your heart. Don't be one of these people that lives in regret and wonder at what could have been. Take the challenges and ride them, learn more about yourself in the process. View everything with a positive slant. For those that stay focused, usually end up successfully. Its all about how your see things and deal with things. When it gets tough you have a wonderful support network on here.

Sorry, its very long and I think I got waffly!! But I hope you found something useful in there!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 6:45 am
Just Joined

charliedarling will become famous soon enoughcharliedarling will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Some people take huge gambles in their lives. For some it works out, for others it doesn't. Some people live their lives trapped in routine, take two week holidays to Spain (and eat fish and chips, expect everyone to speak English and complain its too hot). For the people that haven't taken gambles (and I've met a few), they live with many regrets. For the ones that took a gamble and it didn't work out, they either tend to think the world is against them, or they take their experience and learn. We took a gamble and moved to Mexico, we had a nearly two year old at the time, and I was pregnant. It didn't work out, we got into debt, I got very sick, Steve's company screwed us over. But it made us appreciate the support of our family and friends. We decided we loved the country and hope to buy a holiday home out there eventually, we took the experience and we learnt from it, although it wasn't an easy time for us. We had to move back in with my parents, and that was tough. We were lucky though to have that safety net. Now Steve has a great English job, and we live a wonderful live in NZ. Your'll definetly have hurdles, it won't be plane sailing, and there will be times where you think you've made a mistake. But sometimes you really have to get out and make a change, do something that makes other people coil in terror. Wether you choose to sell your house or not, that's up to you to plan. But my advice regarding moving is to follow your heart. Don't be one of these people that lives in regret and wonder at what could have been. Take the challenges and ride them, learn more about yourself in the process. View everything with a positive slant. For those that stay focused, usually end up successfully. Its all about how your see things and deal with things. When it gets tough you have a wonderful support network on here.

Sorry, its very long and I think I got waffly!! But I hope you found something useful in there!
Thanks! this is what I have been thinking.
Sometimes reading stuff on this sight scares me - especially when that campbell guy gets going!
My OH and my 3 boys are all looking forward to the adventure!

Charlie
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:45 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charliedarling
Sometimes reading stuff on this sight scares me - especially when that campbell guy gets going!
Hey - don't encourage him!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.