British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   we are looking to live in Pukekohe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/we-looking-live-pukekohe-373470/)

daz&amie May 14th 2006 6:48 pm

we are looking to live in Pukekohe

hello there

me and my wife will be leaving the uk on the 12th June to make a new life in the North island of NZ.

I have a job as a mechanic and my wife will be looking for a job when she arrives

we have no children just a dog!!! and we are in our early 20's

as my job is in east tamaki (Auckland) we are looking around this area

Pukekohe has appealed to us as this area is not to remote

can anybody advise us on any other areas or are we looking at the right place??????

many thanks

daz :) :) :)

thebears May 14th 2006 9:46 pm

Re: we are looking to live in Pukekohe

daz
can anybody advise us on any other areas or are we looking at the right place??????

Depends on what sort of place you want to live in? And what lifestyle you want. What budget you have set for yourself.

The west coast is different to the east coast in terms of beach. Making the assumption that you are only using a map to see how far away the beach is?

I used to work near Puke in Ramarama. But lived in Bucklands Beach.

You will be best anyway renting a place for 6 months so if it doesnt work out you can move to a more appropriate area.

East Tamaki is very accessible from a lot of other suburbs in Auckland.

Kiwi

kooga61 May 14th 2006 10:40 pm

Re: we are looking to live in Pukekohe

Originally Posted by daz&amie
hello there

me and my wife will be leaving the uk on the 12th June to make a new life in the North island of NZ.

I have a job as a mechanic and my wife will be looking for a job when she arrives

we have no children just a dog!!! and we are in our early 20's

as my job is in east tamaki (Auckland) we are looking around this area

Pukekohe has appealed to us as this area is not to remote

many thanks

daz :) :) :)

Hi Daz & Amie,

The Bears are right. I would rent for a while in Puke' (Pukekohe) and see how you get on.
I live in Papakura, about 15 minutes south of East Tamaki (on a good day!). Puke' is about another 20 minutes further south. South Auckland does have some dodgier area's and Puke' has its rough elements too, but I have quite a few friends who live there, and love it.

I think it has a bit of a small country town feel to it, and I actually preferred it to Papakura originally. Puke' has a fairly good array of shops, and you'll be able to get most of your shopping without going too far. There are lots of small "villages" near by they you may prefer to live in at a later date, once you get a feel for the way of life out here. Either way Puke' isn't a bad place to start off from.

Good luck.

Kooga