Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We are land owners!!

We are land owners!!

Old Dec 24th 2009, 6:15 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are land owners!!

Hi T

sorry I never got the chance to catch up with you at the end of term. I just wanted to say well done and I'm really pleased to hear that the builders came through for you so you get to spend your first Kiwi Xmas in your own home

Enjoy a very Merry Xmas all of you

See you next term

Sarah x
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown
Some more
Congratulations on the house build it looks great. Just a couple of questions re your windows. Are they double glazed? Do the window closures have locks on them. It is just that we are looking for a company here in NZ that is able to provide this type of window.

Happy 2010
Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes the windows are double glazed, but they don't have locks on them. we have put security openings on the bathroom windows so they can be left open.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes the windows are double glazed, but they don't have locks on them. we have put security openings on the bathroom windows so they can be left open.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that do you know who the makers of the windows are and would you recommend?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure of the make, it does say Vantage on the inside of the window, but not sure if that is who makes them. GJ Gardners ordered all the windows for us. We are really pleased with them, the best one is the bi-fold door, it's a 3 leaf and a normal door, when they are all open it opens up the whole side of one wall - really beautiful.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Not sure of the make, it does say Vantage on the inside of the window, but not sure if that is who makes them. GJ Gardners ordered all the windows for us. We are really pleased with them, the best one is the bi-fold door, it's a 3 leaf and a normal door, when they are all open it opens up the whole side of one wall - really beautiful.
Cheers for that - found the company Vantage Windows (NZ/Oz) company. Look really good
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That is nice to read T. Mr Bevs does plumbing work for GJ up here.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

donnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura about

Wow that seems great value for how much house you got. Congratulations, hope you are settled in and had a lovely Christmas in your new house. Looking at your timeline I can't believe how much you have achieved in such a short time.

I've been following your thread with great interest, because we would really like to build ourselves, not that we have even arrived yet or been accepted!

Can I ask did you take furniture with you or did you buy it there? I'd like to bring stuff with us, but feel we wouldn't know what size we would need to fill a house we hadn't built yet.

Would love to see some more photos.

E x
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by donnisons
Wow that seems great value for how much house you got. Congratulations, hope you are settled in and had a lovely Christmas in your new house. Looking at your timeline I can't believe how much you have achieved in such a short time.

I've been following your thread with great interest, because we would really like to build ourselves, not that we have even arrived yet or been accepted!

Can I ask did you take furniture with you or did you buy it there? I'd like to bring stuff with us, but feel we wouldn't know what size we would need to fill a house we hadn't built yet.

Would love to see some more photos.

E x
Glad you like it, hee are some more pictures, various views from the master bedroom deck, family room and Media rooms and also along the corridor. We did take all our funiture with us and we are glad we did, but some of the furniture wont now fit in the house or doesnt quite look right in the house due to so many window, but it's not a problem to put it on Trademe. You don't know what you need/want until you build I suppose, we have had to buy yet another sofa to fill a room.

It's all great though, and we are loving it.
Attached Thumbnails We are land owners!!-cimg2342.jpg   We are land owners!!-cimg2351.jpg   We are land owners!!-cimg2354.jpg   We are land owners!!-cimg2355.jpg   We are land owners!!-cimg2348.jpg  

Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Some more.....
Attached Thumbnails We are land owners!!-cimg2344.jpg   We are land owners!!-cimg2352.jpg   We are land owners!!-cimg2347.jpg   We are land owners!!-cimg2324.jpg   We are land owners!!-cimg2328.jpg  

Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

donnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for posting more pictures, it looks fantastic. Can I ask what the quality/cost of new stuff is like over there and how easy is it to get hold of? TBH most of our furniture is due for renewal and I don't know whether we should do it here or wait til we get there - if they let us in! I have searched on NZ websites, but so far haven't seen much that takes my fancy. Things we would be looking to replace would be sofas, dining room furniture, bedroom furniture, so pretty much everything!

Also what is the build quality like? Did you consider many builders before you started. I have looked at your builder's website and another I found on this forum for energy efficient homes. I have so many questions, think I'm going to read over the other posts in this thread before I ask you any more you have already answered.

E x
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by donnisons
Thanks for posting more pictures, it looks fantastic. Can I ask what the quality/cost of new stuff is like over there and how easy is it to get hold of? TBH most of our furniture is due for renewal and I don't know whether we should do it here or wait til we get there - if they let us in! I have searched on NZ websites, but so far haven't seen much that takes my fancy. Things we would be looking to replace would be sofas, dining room furniture, bedroom furniture, so pretty much everything!

Also what is the build quality like? Did you consider many builders before you started. I have looked at your builder's website and another I found on this forum for energy efficient homes. I have so many questions, think I'm going to read over the other posts in this thread before I ask you any more you have already answered.

E x
Hi, there are lots of furniture shops around, that cover all tastes and qualities, we bought all of our furniture over as we didn't want the expense of having to pay out loads all new things right from the off, and it's worked out well.

We did speak to people about the different builders around, we even went to one of the member houses on here (AlanMac) house to have a look around. We stopped at houses that were being built and spoke with people. In the end it came down to reputation and design, we choose GJ Gardners as they are one of the largest this side of the world and their reputation was very good. we also looked at Today Homes, Stonewood both of which friends had built with and also had a good reputation. But do go with someone who is a member of the Master Builders.

Good luck with everything.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:10 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

teebrown, your house is absolutely lovely! a dream come true. can you imagine how gorgeous it will be once the lawn is established? wow