Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We are land owners!!

We are land owners!!

Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are land owners!!

I have found these ones that we used in my last company in the uk, these fit onto the window frame as opposed to the actual glass and can be retro fitted

http://www.marchesironmongery.co.uk/...kle-vents.html

If I can find a NZ similar I will post it on here

http://www.titon.co.uk/pdf/TV_brochure_2008.pdf

found better pics here, but again a uk company, i will look into it and let you know how I get on

Last edited by alanmacc; Jun 29th 2009 at 10:09 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

We have just started our project met the architect today at last somebody on the same wave length! So far its taken 3 weeks for the electric boys to quote for the connection.We are going to be quite involved but wont be project managing we are not qualified to do that in NZ.

Karen
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
We are getting our windows with little bug vents at top, really cool so we can just have them open 24/7 in summer but no flies will get in just a little grill that you just slide, and also good for ventelation

cost 50 bux a window but only 30 a window if they are done while windows being made, def worth it i think , so over the flies lol

we are also getting everywhere in the house apart from bedrooms a polished concrete floor, it will be the same throughout the house.. they hold heat better than tiles and wooden flooring so will help toward heating costs etc, and im so over the carpet in the dining room here.. also looks amazing and has a lifetime gaurentee, will last aslong as the house, just get repolished every few years i

Hi just wondering who is building your house? Sounds like you have some really lovely ideas
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Congratulations on the land and house. Saw the notes below and not to be a stick in the mud but have you listened to a wood pellet burner in action? We were keen to buy one and then were put off when we visited a showroom and spoke to the manager. He showed us that a wood pellet burner is great if it is in a noisy area but is not great in a lounge or quiet area as the constant whirring can get annoying! Hope this helps

'The price for the house does include, all carpets, tiles, paint, wood pellet burner, wool insulation, bi-fold doors and basically everything that goes into a house ready for you to move in'.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

I have just realised what bug vents are, my Mum has them in her house. I wonder how much air would get through in the summer months though? As we are putting Bi-fold doors along one side of the house, I don't think they would be any good for us, as I wanted the in door out door feel for the house, I didn't think about the fly problem!

I would like someone to invent an electric force field to put in door ways made from those fly zapper things they have in butchers and baker with a little sensor which switches it off for a few seconds when ever someone wants to go outside!!

Actually maybe I should just buy one of those zapper things and put it in the kitchen......
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
Hi

Congratulations on the land and house. Saw the notes below and not to be a stick in the mud but have you listened to a wood pellet burner in action? We were keen to buy one and then were put off when we visited a showroom and spoke to the manager. He showed us that a wood pellet burner is great if it is in a noisy area but is not great in a lounge or quiet area as the constant whirring can get annoying! Hope this helps

'The price for the house does include, all carpets, tiles, paint, wood pellet burner, wool insulation, bi-fold doors and basically everything that goes into a house ready for you to move in'.
Yes we have seen a couple on, and yes the noise was pointed out to us, but we weighed up the efficiency etc and thought about it carefully, the noise of the fan didn't actually bother us that much and it seemed to be quieter on some models - I hope I don't live to regret this statement, we will see.
They did have a really good write up, so we may have to live and learn on this one and report back next winter when it's fired up everyday.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

MattC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone.

<little snip>

. It's great to see some discussion and interest in installing passive (trickle) vents. It's a well known solution in the UK for maintaining indoor air quality. In fact it's part of the building regulations to install them in any new windows.

Unfortunately it's not so well known over here by the general public and our homes tend to suffer from excessive indoor moisture levels resulting in condensation, mould and mildew. Although most architects and building research experts here are well aware of them.

I saw another point made here about installing uPVC joinery. They are certainly better than aluminium in terms of their thermal properties. However, you need to also keep in mind the harsh UV here in NZ. This will damage standard uPVC joinery over time, causing it to dry, shrink and crack. Definitely ask the window maker if the uPVC frames have been designed specifically to withstand NZ's high UV. If they're simply importing the same PVC extrusion as that used in Europe, you should be wary.

Titon vents were imported many years ago, but the external canopy was made from uPVC, so not suited to our climate. They also didn't comply with NZ window standards for air leakage.

Vents need to have been designed specifically for NZ conditions andbe fully tested to meet the NZ window standard. They're made from extruded aluminium (powder coated or anodised to your colour).

If you're looking to install our vents in new windows, just ask the window maker to include Easy Air vents during manufacture. This is very little extra effort for them to install, and most of the window makers know and use our product.

If you're renovating, any qualified glazier can install them. Depending on where you live, we can likely recommend a glazier who is experienced in installing our vents and who can recommend the optimum placement throughout your home.

If anyone would like to get in touch with me to discuss your needs, please feel free to do so.

Good luck with all your plans, and welcome to NZ!

Matt Cox

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 1st 2009 at 12:24 pm. Reason: little bits of snipping per discussion
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown
I have just realised what bug vents are, my Mum has them in her house. I wonder how much air would get through in the summer months though? As we are putting Bi-fold doors along one side of the house, I don't think they would be any good for us, as I wanted the in door out door feel for the house, I didn't think about the fly problem!

I would like someone to invent an electric force field to put in door ways made from those fly zapper things they have in butchers and baker with a little sensor which switches it off for a few seconds when ever someone wants to go outside!!

Actually maybe I should just buy one of those zapper things and put it in the kitchen......
As we are having the alfreso area which will be under cover and screened at one side we will be able to leave all our bi folds open 24/7 if we wish with air circulating in the hight of summer, the window things are just an added bonus as they do let in just enough air with out a gale going through the house and will help with circulation . i hate the flys so much lol but its really more to keep white tails out as i have had a few in here , always on the days the patios have been open all day. this way with the insect screen in patio i wont have to worry about anything getting in
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
Hi just wondering who is building your house? Sounds like you have some really lovely ideas
http://www.highmarkhomes.co.nz/

this is the company we went with in the end, funnily enough i dont like any of there plans but they seemed really good at what they do. We designed our house from scratch so we could put everything we have ever wanted from a house into this one as we would like to think this will be our last move. we then emailed all companys and builders in NP and sent of plans we met with most of them and found out what they could do for us and highmark came through in the end, there certainly not one of the cheapest in np but its all about the quality after all and they won for us, plus they were really good about sourcing companies we wanted to use rather than there usual ones
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes we have seen a couple on, and yes the noise was pointed out to us, but we weighed up the efficiency etc and thought about it carefully, the noise of the fan didn't actually bother us that much and it seemed to be quieter on some models - I hope I don't live to regret this statement, we will see.
They did have a really good write up, so we may have to live and learn on this one and report back next winter when it's fired up everyday.
the manager of our house build has one and he swears by them, wouldnt have another type of fire, he says they are fab. we not putting a fire in but we are having 2 heat pumps.1 that will do the living areas and one in our bedroom and then duct through to each bedroom via the loft(dont know the term lol)
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

well we have just got the quote back for the PVC windows an extra $25,000 on top of the build price if we want them!

I feel this is too much and and that money can be spent on other things, so it's aluminum for us!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:55 am
loui5a

loui5a will become famous soon enough

Fab news - house design and plot look great. We are still in the UK but this would be our dream. Best of luck with all the work and I will keep an eye out for updates

L
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

well we have just got the quote back for the PVC windows an extra $25,000 on top of the build price if we want them!

I feel this is too much and and that money can be spent on other things, so it's aluminumfor us!
we are aluminum too, we have 20 windows plus 4 sets of patio doors, and with us having them tinted black , we need black surrounds also, the cost of our windows as is already pushed the cost up a lot with out making the upc lol
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

MattC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi teebrown.

Another option that is relatively new here is to ask for aluminium windows with a thermal break incorporated into the frames. This effectively has a thin PVC strip in the middle of the frame to create a thermal break between inside and out. The PVC doesn't conduct cold as readily as aluminium.

I have no idea how expensive these are in comparison to straight aluminium or straight PVC, but it's worth asking around a few window companies.

I know aluminium windows have copped a fair bit of flak in recent times, mostly due to their poor thermal qualities compared to PVC or timber. But they do have a number of other advantages. They are effectively maintenance free (no repainting) and should last the lifetime of the window. They stand up very well to harsh weather conditions. They maintain their shape over time, meaning the window system stays well sealed over many years. While timber has better thermal properties, if it's not well sealed when installed, or changes shape over time (which they do), the cold will simply come in through the gaps anyway. I believe uPVC holds it's shape well over time in mild climates, but if it's not designed specifically to withstand NZ's UV damage, they will shrink and crack over time.

Which ever way you go, don't forget to include ventilation in your overall plans. Here is a link to a copy of the UK building regulations for ventilation http://www.escheshire-bldgcontrol.go...F_ADF_2006.pdf

These are still more detailed and advanced than the corresponding ones over here, but that shouldn't surprise anyone in this forum.

These sites may have been noted in other forum posts, but I'll post them in case: The following sites are developed by the NZ govt in association with various independent building research organisations such as BRANZ and Beacon Pathway.

http://www.smarterhomes.org.nz - Consumer focussed info
http://www.level.org.nz - More industry focussed
http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz - Again focussed on the consumer

MattC

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 2nd 2009 at 5:43 am. Reason: sorted the link to the users website
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Matt, I will look into it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.