We have a plan!

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Smile We have a plan!

Hi, about to submit application with meds/xrays and a million other bits of v important paper...can't wait to get to nz, hubby should find work ok but not sure where to settle. Over a glass of wine last night we hatched a plan...when we arrive we will either hire or buy a camper and tour around for 2 months before deciding where we could settle. Kids excited about this (imagine the wild thornberries!) Does anyone have any pointers/warnings/thoughts that this is a silly idea? Any feedback most welcome. Thanks so much.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We have a plan!

Hi, my partner and I did just that back in 2002. Arrived in Christchurch, and next day, bought an ex-Maui motorhome. Spent 6 months going round both islands and absolutely loved every minute of it. I can honestly say it was the best 6 months of my life so far. Not only do you get a feel for where you might like to settle, but just having, and making the most of the opportunity to see most of both Islands was worth it in itself. We did plenty of ‘free’ camping, and usually went to a ‘proper’ holiday park about once a week, to replenish the water, empty the grey water etc.
We did this without any kids in tow, so can’t really comment on any downsides from that aspect. We eventually sold the motorhome after about a year, for about $5k less than we paid, so it was significantly cheaper than renting one for the same period.
Ended up in Tauranga, and stayed there for a couple of years before moving to Wanganui, then on to Cromwell in Central Otago. Each of those locations worked very well for us, and I could happily settle in any of them. Plenty of other places were great as well, in fact I’d struggle to list more than half a dozen places I really wouldn’t have liked to settle. But, it’s horses for courses, and what appeals to one person, may not appeal to another.
If you like, feel free to PM me. And good luck with your plan
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:42 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi
Hi, about to submit application with meds/xrays and a million other bits of v important paper...can't wait to get to nz, hubby should find work ok but not sure where to settle. Over a glass of wine last night we hatched a plan...when we arrive we will either hire or buy a camper and tour around for 2 months before deciding where we could settle. Kids excited about this (imagine the wild thornberries!) Does anyone have any pointers/warnings/thoughts that this is a silly idea? Any feedback most welcome. Thanks so much.
A good plan, maybe a little through rose-tinted glasses as you may find that work dictates where you end up ?!... If you need to be either in or in striking distance of a major centre then some places will be out of bounds. But if finances and time allows you to enjoy the country for a few months before deciding where to plonk yourselves then go for it.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any pointers/warnings/thoughts that this is a silly idea? Any feedback most welcome. Thanks so much.
Depending on where you envisage your tiki tour taking you, you would need to consider time of the year as the weather may well hamper any desire or ability to essentially be camping out for an extended period of time with young children in tow.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: We have a plan!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes perhaps a little rosy glow going on! We will consider the seasons ~ a very good point, cold grumpy kids are not good company. Coming across with skilled visa and can look for work whilst touring around. We may stumble across, a perfect job/house/school/community on our travels ~ hopefully all in the same place!! I will go take those specs off now! Thanks Rolfie for sharing your story, sounds like it was a lot of fun. Cheers
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Lynda63 is an unknown quantity at this point

We hired out a campervan for a month both times we emigrated to NZ. The first time is was great the kids were young, nearly four and seven.

The second time not so good kids growing up, eleven and fourteen not so great.

But overall it is a great way of seeing the country.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Lightbulb Re: We have a plan!

Thanks Lynda, so it can be done with kids! Our kids are a girl nearly 14 with lots of hormones and 5 year boy. What did you find worked best to keep the kids happy? We are planning not too long driving at a time and also to get a berth camper so there is a little more space. If there is anything you would do differently, I would be grateful for any advice. Also as far as I understand in the campers we have been looking at there are various points with seatbelts. I'm thinking this means the kids don't need to sit next to each other and bicker (makes for a long day!!) They are great kids but they both need space!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future

I would honestly say that you may be sensible to settle whereever your husband finds work, we settled when my husband already had a job but now it's proving difficult to find another job for him in this area without him having to commute for an hour and a half each way. I'm not trying to put a downer on it just giving you our situation to take into mind. Also depends on your husbands occupation I suppose and where they are looking for that particular skill.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Go for it!!

We planned to do something similar (review some of my posts and you'll see the rollercoaster of emotions that we experienced) but once we landed we revised our plans and instead of blowing a HUGE chunk of our funds on a motorhome we chose to spend a slightly less huge chunk of our funds on a car, roof-box and a tent instead.

We weren't specifically exploring, rather applying for jobs (the wife was) and then driving and sleeping (either in the tent or a hotel/motel) to wherever a concentration of job applications were submitted or a job interview had been arranged.

At the time (Sept 2009) we flew out here with a 4yr and 2yr old in tow and they coped so well with all the travelling it was untrue - that's not to say they didn't have their moments though! :-)

As it happens, approaching 3 months in, something like 56 job applications, 4 job interviews and one job offer later, we were circa $200 from having spent every single cent we brought across with us and contemplating flying back to the UK with our tails between our legs - the source of much stress, worry and disappointment - then her first wage packet hit the bank and the rest (as they say) is history (though far from smooth).

For us it was an adventure of a lifetime and I personally am very happy to say we did it and seem to have come out the other end smelling faintly of roses.

I'd recomend it to anyone - (so long as you keep your eyes very wide open and are prepared to roll with the punches when the going gets tough, because with the best will in the world it very likely will) - I just would't want to do it again in a hurry myself :-)
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the input ~ we are going to go for it! It could be the best trip ever and the kids will love it! (I hope!) Once the visas are through we will plan a route taking in likely spots for work/residing/schools. Don't suppose knows of a good website for detailed maps of NZ? Thanks again
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:13 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Google maps, the roads you see are what you get! You probably don't need to plan too much as the whole country is geared up for travellers and you can go pretty much anywhere and find a campground. If you plan on coming through the winter, you may be better off letting the weather dictate where you go once you're here. When you arrive in Auckland there is a really good tourist info shop on the waterfront on Quay Street - they have tonnes of freebee maps and accommodation books etc.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, that' s really useful ~ we will probably be starting around Auckland so will pick up some maps there before we set off
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:28 pm

Remember winter over here in the south island is comparable to the north of scotland!!! It can get VERY cold.... bring your ski gear, and your bikinis and everything inbetween!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks ~ am hoping we can do the camping in the warmer months but coming from NE Scotland sure does make you appreciate anything above zero. Couldn't get to sleep last night as we had reached the dizzy heights of 8 degrees!!! Usually about June before the kids stop wearing woolly hats (that might have more to do with the kids than the tempreture) We will make sure we have plenty fleeces ~ not sure about bikinis though!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:59 pm

good luck and enjoy the planning!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.