Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

we have to leave the dog!!!!!!!

we have to leave the dog!!!!!!!

Old May 31st 2006, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold
Default we have to leave the dog!!!!!!!

I have the best dog on this earth.
But he cannot travel!!!!!
he would die in transport and could not cope with the flight .
so i have to leave him ,with a big hole in my heart
would like to hear from anybody who had to leave a loved pet behind.
jane
Old May 31st 2006, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: we have to leave the dog!!!!!!!

Yes Jane I left my horse in the UK. He just doesnt like travelling much so I had visions of him freaking out travelling over to NZ and having to be shot. When we heard about possibly moving to NZ the first phone call I made was to my best friend to see if she'd keep him for me. She has him now and I get regular reports of how good (or bad!) hes being. Hes purebred arab and very proud so hes a livewire! It broke my heart but it was the best decision for him. Hes happy there and he'd hate this wet warm climate as he was photosensitive and also had rain scald and mudfever in the past.... he'd just be miserable here.

OH left his guinea pig in UK... but he didnt seem too bothered at all.... men!!

Best advise I can give is as soon as youve settled in get another one!! It will lessen the blow and hopefully make you happy again. I got another horse here and its taken time to bond with him but I love him to bits now.

Good luck

Sarah
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I know dogs are different and more like part of the family but I had to leave my lovely cat behind. She was getting on a bit and was completely gorgeous. She had little ways about her that would crack me up. She used to sit on the little wall at the end of our road when it was time for us to come home from work, run up to us and climb on our shoulders.
When we got the boxes out to pack she jumped in one and stayed there for hours, as if she knew what was going on and was packing herself. My in-laws took care of her until she died the year after we left. I took her to their house in my sister in laws car, wrapped up in a blanket just peeking out as me with her lovely green eyes. I miss her.
I agree with Sarah, getting another pet helps. We got a kitten once we had been here a while and she is great too
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

.... and we inherited 2 lovely cats with our rental property here in Beachlands. When we move they will come with us. The last tenant said she was going to have them destroyed.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Squidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really nice

Originally Posted by waynepfry
jane
Sorry I didn't leave mine behind, he is a 14 yr old JR/Springer X and he did 4 weeks in kennels prior to travelling and we have been here 6 months now and he was worth every single penny. Unless he is seriously unwell and the vet advises that he doesn't travel I would give it a go. We had a number of offers in our village to keep him and I suppose I could have done that as he did look very thin when he arrived but within a week or two he was swimming in the sea.

They do look after them extremely well both at the UK end and in Auckland, they check them in the US so the actual flight part isn't too bad. In our case it was the 4 weeks prior in kennels that took its toll and didn't agree with him but we wanted to make sure we were settled here and with a home for him to come into.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sharronemery
Sorry I didn't leave mine behind, he is a 14 yr old JR/Springer X and he did 4 weeks in kennels prior to travelling and we have been here 6 months now and he was worth every single penny. Unless he is seriously unwell and the vet advises that he doesn't travel I would give it a go. We had a number of offers in our village to keep him and I suppose I could have done that as he did look very thin when he arrived but within a week or two he was swimming in the sea.

They do look after them extremely well both at the UK end and in Auckland, they check them in the US so the actual flight part isn't too bad. In our case it was the 4 weeks prior in kennels that took its toll and didn't agree with him but we wanted to make sure we were settled here and with a home for him to come into.
Hi

Sorry to ask this again, but which agent did you use, we are now at the stage beyond just pricing up. We havesold our house and realistically will be travelling soon so we have to make a decision on who to trust with our dog.

thanks in advance, especially for the reassurance that he will be alright.

Nicola
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Squidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
Hi

Sorry to ask this again, but which agent did you use, we are now at the stage beyond just pricing up. We havesold our house and realistically will be travelling soon so we have to make a decision on who to trust with our dog.

thanks in advance, especially for the reassurance that he will be alright.

Nicola

We used Chilworth Kennels down in Southampton and he was fantastic, he really looked after the dog and kept in touch with us plus a UK contact we had given him all the way through the kenneling and the flight, if you need the number I'll try and find it for you.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

KiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to all

We used Golden Arrow for our precious pooch. Would highly recommend them. It don't come cheap but a member of the family is worth it right? Cost us about £2300. Our boy is epileptic and they looked after him really well.

He arrived tired and a bit bewildered but soon settled in to his new life bless him.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

jonesey will become famous soon enoughjonesey will become famous soon enough

jane

Hi Jane

It was the other way around for us I'm afraid we had to leave my Jack Russell behind in NZ on the way back to UK, he used to freak out so bad in the car let alone flying him home. Even in the car he used to get so worked up he would hyper-ventilate and got so bad, so after a long heartbreaking desicion we decided to re-home him and now he is enjoying life on a large lifestyle block. I really do feel for all you pet lovers alike who have to make that big move without your loved ones.

Mick
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:05 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Hi Jane

We left our dog for exactly the same reason, she was my daughters best friend but I had people on here making out it was some sort of evil person for it, but we were thinking of the dog, she would have died or bitten somone enroute, we have no doubt about it but what we did do was find a great family and we vetted them before hand.

We do still miss here we all cried but knew it was for the best, the family who have her send us lots of pics

Anyway I think you are thinkin of the whole family, I back you 100%

jane
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jonesey
Hi Jane

It was the other way around for us I'm afraid we had to leave my Jack Russell behind in NZ on the way back to UK, he used to freak out so bad in the car let alone flying him home. Even in the car he used to get so worked up he would hyper-ventilate and got so bad, so after a long heartbreaking desicion we decided to re-home him and now he is enjoying life on a large lifestyle block. I really do feel for all you pet lovers alike who have to make that big move without your loved ones.

Mick
Thanks mick, casper would love it out there but he has a fit and a nervous break down just opening the boot of the car!!!
we took him to the beach for the day , one hours drive it took him all day and nite to get back to normal and it was no fun for him.
we have also tried him on our knee, just as bad he panted and slavered so much he was ill.
we have found him a good home with family now so we will look forward to the webcam and emails of him when we get to auckland
cheers jane
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=theduke]Hi Jane

We left our dog for exactly the same reason, she was my daughters best friend but I had people on here making out it was some sort of evil person for it, but we were thinking of the dog, she would have died or bitten somone enroute, we have no doubt about it but what we did do was find a great family and we vetted them before hand.

We do still miss here we all cried but knew it was for the best, the family who have her send us lots of pics

Anyway I think you are thinkin of the whole family, I back you 100%[/QUO

Thanks theduke for your support, i think we know our dogs the best.
hows the weather at the moment, not too wet i hope
cheers jane
Old Jun 7th 2006, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

jonesey will become famous soon enoughjonesey will become famous soon enough

Thanks mick, casper would love it out there but he has a fit and a nervous break down just opening the boot of the car!!!
we took him to the beach for the day , one hours drive it took him all day and nite to get back to normal and it was no fun for him.
we have also tried him on our knee, just as bad he panted and slavered so much he was ill.
we have found him a good home with family now so we will look forward to the webcam and emails of him when we get to auckland
cheers jane
You did the right thing Jane, our dog Patch was just the same slavered all over the floor well in the 4x4 in Auckland couldn't even go down to the beach before he got himself worked up, so the decision was made to re-home him and now he is fine and doing fine. Even going back now after 2 years it will be nice to see him again and always wonder if he will still remember us from all that time ago.

Mick