British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   We have arrived (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/we-have-arrived-518955/)

juliejamesmcgrath Mar 4th 2008 12:33 am

We have arrived

Hi everyone,

We finally arrived in Nelson on Monday 18th February after a long and very tiring flight (especially for the children)

We have just moved into our rented house after being in a motel for the last 15 days, finally got linked to internet as the house we are renting is connected already and fully furnished so don't have to worry about anything for the nex 7 1/2 months.

I have to say I have found it extremely hard, missing my family terribly but hopefully now that we have moved into our rental things should start getting better (feel alot better today).

We are staying in Atawhai just outside Nelson, but would eventually like Stoke, Enner Glynn, Richmond areas, really love where we are at the moment but the house we are staying in is a bit beyond our reach, we overlook the beach and bays it is the most amazing view ever.

We should be going to Christchurch Friday depending on if our blood results are back for our medicals etc so we can get our visas stamped, as my OH is starting work really soon.

Would love to get in touch with people.

:thumbup:

simonmarkellis Mar 4th 2008 1:27 am

Re: We have arrived

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath (Post 6013292)
Hi everyone,

We finally arrived in Nelson on Monday 18th February after a long and very tiring flight (especially for the children)

We have just moved into our rented house after being in a motel for the last 15 days, finally got linked to internet as the house we are renting is connected already and fully furnished so don't have to worry about anything for the nex 7 1/2 months.

I have to say I have found it extremely hard, missing my family terribly but hopefully now that we have moved into our rental things should start getting better (feel alot better today).

We are staying in Atawhai just outside Nelson, but would eventually like Stoke, Enner Glynn, Richmond areas, really love where we are at the moment but the house we are staying in is a bit beyond our reach, we overlook the beach and bays it is the most amazing view ever.

We should be going to Christchurch Friday depending on if our blood results are back for our medicals etc so we can get our visas stamped, as my OH is starting work really soon.

Well hello, it certainly whacks you out a bit, the trip! especially with kids... I remember out first 5 days, we were in bed before 9pm every night, but up at 4.30am - sleeping patterns were shot to pieces... Anyway I hope you settle soon, will have to look you up when we visit the SI later this year...

happynz Mar 4th 2008 1:57 am

Welcome to the Mainland!

Nerine Mar 4th 2008 2:17 am

It took us a fair while to get over the jetlag too, good to hear you've found somewhere nice to stay and are already experiencing the wonderful surroundings. With a bit of luck house prices will go in your favour within the 7.5 months.

SLH Mar 6th 2008 7:41 pm

Hi Julie

Glad you arrived safe and sound. You will have ups and downs but bear with it. Keep posting or PM me if you want to chat. Best of luck Lou

oldenoughtoknowbetter Mar 6th 2008 7:50 pm

Re: We have arrived - Not!

Glad the jetlag is subsiding, hope its all been worth it!

I have been to NZ twice before to see friends, visited all round the South Island, am now considering moving to Wellington after a surprise job offer. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome, especially do's and don'ts to reduce the stress and expense of the big move?

Loved the South Island is the North as good?

Maz Mar 6th 2008 11:01 pm

Re: We have arrived - Not!

Welcome to NZ! Hope it is everything you hoped and dreamed it would be. :thumbup:

Stef_Paul Mar 7th 2008 12:51 am

Welcome to the South Island! I cannot wait to visit Nelson I have heard it is very nice up there and very sunny :)

I hope you continue to settle in well. It will feel strange at first, we had some right ups and downs those first few weeks and we still have them. Send me a PM if you are ever down in Timaru :)

Bellasmum Mar 7th 2008 5:55 am

Hi everyone,

Welcome to NZ. I am a Kiwi (born and breed in Northaland) married to a Brit (35 years) and live in Auckland. If I can help in anyway please pm me.

owen Mar 7th 2008 10:02 am

Welcome to the colony of JAFAland, keep up the supply of nice wine!!;)

nelsonpom Mar 7th 2008 8:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Hi guys welcome to the Nelson area hope your settling in nicely, any help you need ask away and if your heading into Nelson at all and fancy coffee or drink let us know. We live cenral Nelson and I manage restaurant bang in centre of Nelson.
Darren

juliejamesmcgrath Mar 8th 2008 7:48 am

Thank you all for the welcomes, travelled to christchurch Thursday to get our visas so we can stay for 18mths, although we will be getting our residency in the next 6/7 months.

It really is hard not knowing anyone, its bizarre walking round different places and not speaking to anyone. Our son Rylan starts the local school on Monday (but this will probably only be for 7.5mths, while we are renting out in Atawhai). Then hopefully we will be moving Stoke/Richmond areas.

Its nice to know that you all have gone through similar things, we got our webcam set up yesterday so I am in contact with my mum and dad now which is fab. Just want to get through one day at the mo where the tears don't flow.:cry_smile:

Thanks again to you all.:cool:

Nerine Mar 8th 2008 7:55 am

Gosh, sounds like you're still suffering from jet lag, a dash of culture shock and a bit of anticlimax after all the stress of the move/flight etc... it can knock you for six for a good few weeks. Take it easy and it'll come right, just give it time. Just look back over what you've done since you've arrived, you'll be amazed at what you've already accomplished.

SamBinNZ Mar 8th 2008 8:32 am

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath (Post 6033461)
Thank you all for the welcomes, travelled to christchurch Thursday to get our visas so we can stay for 18mths, although we will be getting our residency in the next 6/7 months.

It really is hard not knowing anyone, its bizarre walking round different places and not speaking to anyone. Our son Rylan starts the local school on Monday (but this will probably only be for 7.5mths, while we are renting out in Atawhai). Then hopefully we will be moving Stoke/Richmond areas.

Its nice to know that you all have gone through similar things, we got our webcam set up yesterday so I am in contact with my mum and dad now which is fab. Just want to get through one day at the mo where the tears don't flow.:cry_smile:

Thanks again to you all.:cool:

We arrived in NZ in October and the first few months is the hardest. I still miss my mum and dad terribly but speak to them most days via web cam. I know it's not quite the same but it does help. We live in Christchurch and can say it has been the best move (well most days I think that!!!). We stayed with people for the first month but felt much happier when we moved into our own house in November. I have now started working full time and I feel much more settled as I have a routine. It will all settle down for you, I have had my days of doing nothing but crying but there are lots of positives out here. My daughter has settled into school here very nicely and goes on her first school camp this week, which she isn't over happy about but she had made some god friends already, so I hope it all works out for you.

Heal Mar 8th 2008 8:55 pm

We wish you all the best.:thumbup:
We'll be joining you in August when we too move to Nelson hopefully to the Mapua area.
I'm sure you'll settle in very quickly,on my recce to Nelson last year most things were as I thought they would be, one thing that I did underestimate was how friendly everybody was, in fact to be honest it took me a couple of days to get used to people being so nice without wanting your hard earned cash.In my short stay I made lots of friends which I'm sure you will too.
I don't know if you play golf but if you do go play at Tasman Golf Club at Kina Beach its absolutely stunning and the people are so friendly and made me feel very very welcome.
Good luck