Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We got a job offer in wellington !! yikes !!

We got a job offer in wellington !! yikes !!

Old May 2nd 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future
Default We got a job offer in wellington !! yikes !!

Hi everybody !! My husband got an offer in wellington and they want us there asap !! So lots to do and think about !! We have 4 kids and the oldest one doesn t want to come !! she wants to finish her a levels next year and then go to uni !! That is the hardest part, leaving her !! We ve been looking at where to rent and like the look of whitby ?? any info about the place is very welcome !!need schools for a 15 year old, 11 year old and a 5 year old !! Cant believe this is happening !!emotions are all over the place !!BUT very exciting !! We lived in sydney for 1 year and loved it !! Also lived in germany for 5 years(i am german ) so now we are going to move again !! MAD really !! btw this forum really is great and the info is fantastic !!helps alot, knowing that we are not the only ones going through it with all the ups and downs !!that all for now.... my 1st post like...
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: We got a job offer in wellington !! yikes !!

Looks like you need some karma. Welcome
Old May 4th 2008, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klicker
Hi everybody !! My husband got an offer in wellington and they want us there asap !! So lots to do and think about !! We have 4 kids and the oldest one doesn t want to come !! she wants to finish her a levels next year and then go to uni !! That is the hardest part, leaving her !! We ve been looking at where to rent and like the look of whitby ?? any info about the place is very welcome !!need schools for a 15 year old, 11 year old and a 5 year old !! Cant believe this is happening !!emotions are all over the place !!BUT very exciting !! We lived in sydney for 1 year and loved it !! Also lived in germany for 5 years(i am german ) so now we are going to move again !! MAD really !! btw this forum really is great and the info is fantastic !!helps alot, knowing that we are not the only ones going through it with all the ups and downs !!that all for now.... my 1st post like...
Well welcome to the forum... Whitby eh? Well what do you want to know? It's a great place to live... decent enough bus service for getting to the train stations... nice local shops with New World supermarket, great walks especially if you like/have dogs... parks are good for the younger ones, just the one pub/restaurant which does terrific food and good schools... our son goes to Adventure School even though Discovery School is closer and we and him can't be happier... Adventure School had just gone into zoning now though. Rates aren't too high either when owning a property as surrounding areas are higher... Local city Porirua has everything you'll need... anything else just ask away or even PM me, be more than happy to answer any questions you have!

What line of work is your OH in?

regards

Simon
Old May 4th 2008, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future

Hi simon ! thank you for your reply !! My hubs works in telecoms !!We need to rent something and just thought (looking at trade me ) Whitby looked nice and there were lots of houses to rent !!We need a big place, as we have 4 kids and lots of family will hopefully come and stay !!We told our 17 year old daughter about moving to wellington and she was really good about it !! So hopefully she will come with us and finish her a levels over there and go to uni somewhere in NZ !! How long have you been there and what do you do ?? Its such a big thing... and sooo much to do !!But we are all very excited and things will always work out in the end !!btw are you interested in football ?? any teams there ?? Hubs is a coach and would love to continue !!(he s training 14 year olds at the mo ) thanx, regards from klicker
Old May 5th 2008, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi simon ! thank you for your reply !! My hubs works in telecoms !!We need to rent something and just thought (looking at trade me ) Whitby looked nice and there were lots of houses to rent !!We need a big place, as we have 4 kids and lots of family will hopefully come and stay !!We told our 17 year old daughter about moving to wellington and she was really good about it !! So hopefully she will come with us and finish her a levels over there and go to uni somewhere in NZ !! How long have you been there and what do you do ?? Its such a big thing... and sooo much to do !!But we are all very excited and things will always work out in the end !!btw are you interested in football ?? any teams there ?? Hubs is a coach and would love to continue !!(he s training 14 year olds at the mo ) thanx, regards from klicker
I work for Telecom NZ's ICT wing Gen-i. We've been out here since last august and so far love every bit of it.... there's plenty of property available in Whitby for rent so you won't have too much problem getting some where. If you want any specifics on a place let us no the address and I'll check it out for you! There are loads of soccer (as they call it down here) clubs around so your OH will have no problem sorting something out, there's even a team in Whitby.

Simon
Old May 5th 2008, 11:46 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! Simon, Welly Wife and Karonious are your people to ask about Whitby. Nice place, I like it a lot. We're close by in Aotea (new suburb, tons of Brits - more Brits than Kiwis apparently - and over 70 houses on the market ).

Definitely a buyers market... do you have a house to sell?

Best of luck to you! How are you moving here? Work permit when you get here?

Can your oldest join you after sitting A-Levels next year if they stay with friends / relatives?
Old May 5th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
Welcome to the forum! Simon, Welly Wife and Karonious are your people to ask about Whitby. Nice place, I like it a lot. We're close by in Aotea (new suburb, tons of Brits - more Brits than Kiwis apparently - and over 70 houses on the market ).

Definitely a buyers market... do you have a house to sell?

Best of luck to you! How are you moving here? Work permit when you get here?

Can your oldest join you after sitting A-Levels next year if they stay with friends / relatives?
Hi maz !! thanx for the welcome !! Yes we have to sell the house !!!! And have to get rid of soooo much stuff !! Its going to be alot of work and thought of what to take and what to get rid !! My new word is chillax and i say it alot to myself .....
we are lucky in one aspect, that is that the company is helping to sort out the medicals, visas and relocation !! just need daughter number one to come with us !!!so hopefully we can sort something out !! family is not an option,cos mine are all in germany and husbands are also far up north (in england )... we live near reading !!daughter thinks wellington is going to be very boring and no bands will come and perform there !! She loves going to concerts and lives for the reading festival !! her mega highlight of the year !!! anyhow- am going to chillax with a glass of wine now......
Old May 5th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

She loves going to concerts and lives for the reading festival !! her mega highlight of the year !!! anyhow- am going to chillax with a glass of wine now......
She'll have to get into WOMAD at New Plymouth instead! You've got two kids at a less than ideal time to interrupt their education though which must be a worry. The qualifications are different here...mine are younger so I don't know the details. Is the job offer so marvellous, it is worth the disruption at this point? I think they always say they want you asap....NZIS may have other ideas...the medical /visa hoops can take time ......what an adventure...yes you definitely need some karma.