Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We got here... we made it...

We got here... we made it...

Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:52 pm
Dragging 4 kids with us..

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of
Default We got here... we made it...

So, Jules, Danny and the herd got here and what have we learnt? Apparantly, as well as it being too orangey for crows, Kia Ora is a Māori language greeting which literally means "be well/healthy" and is used as hello. Yes, yes, of course we knew that, and it's an old joke, but I haven't used it yet so thought I'd get it in at least once.

So folks, we've arrived (hurrah), we're on-line (hurrah), we've been exploring (hurrah) and I start work on Monday (booo!!). Obviously we're a little screwed up with UK/Kiwi time but things have setlled pretty well.

Got off the plane in Auckland and the very first Kiwi I spoke to... the very very very first person was none other Dame Kiri Ti Kanawa!!! How's that for an introduction to New Zealand?

Was met in Wellington by folks from my work. They had arranged a big taxi and a trailer for our luggage. Drove us to our apartments and inside we were greeted by a well stocked fridge, some stuff for the kids, some flowers for the Jules, a hire car in the parking bay and a mobile phone to make all those "we've landed safely calls". They then buggered off and said "see you next week" to allow us some space and to try and catch up with our time zone. A good welcome doesn't half help.

We're in a serviced apartment on The Terrace, so it's nice and central, and with Wellington being very compact, it's a short walk down to Lambton Quay and the harbour (and a steep walk back).

It's not very busy at all considering it's the capital and I am amazed by how few people there are. Like i said though, it is very hilly and the idea of using the hotel lifts to get down to the quay is a bit strange - but obviously wonderfully useful. The stairs would kill me, especially controlling the herd.

So yesterday we opened bank accounts etc. Nice and easy compared to the UK. Walk in, show some ID and out you walk with your account opened and working bank cards in your hand straight away. However, they have bank charges for EVERYTHING... even depositing money in a branch!

Also went down to the harbour. Really cool place, some nice bars and watching foolish energetic people rollerblade, cycle and jog past. Spend the afternoon in Mac's Brewery - eating, drinking and watching the world go by. My kids ran around enjoying the space and watched a group of other kids jump into the harbour from a great height.

Anyway, today we're off to see the schools for the kids, although they won't be starting until 23rd April, as Easter hols start next week - so they will have have a nice long break before they start. Probably a good thing because they now have to wait until December for their summer holidays! We're also scheduling in some house hunting as would like to get that over and done with asap. This weekend we are meeting with folks we know in Welly and intend to get a bit drunk whilst having a barbecue if the weather holds....

We've been lucky this week. Warm, no wind and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has been wonderfully helpful. Even my new mate, Dame Kiri!!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We got here... we made it...

Welcome & good to see you are settling in. Are you all going to Raumati next weekend, it'll be a good place to meet people.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:00 pm
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jules & Danny
So, Jules, Danny and the herd got here and what have we learnt? Apparantly, as well as it being too orangey for crows, Kia Ora is a Māori language greeting which literally means "be well/healthy" and is used as hello. Yes, yes, of course we knew that, and it's an old joke, but I haven't used it yet so thought I'd get it in at least once.

So folks, we've arrived (hurrah), we're on-line (hurrah), we've been exploring (hurrah) and I start work on Monday (booo!!). Obviously we're a little screwed up with UK/Kiwi time but things have setlled pretty well.

Got off the plane in Auckland and the very first Kiwi I spoke to... the very very very first person was none other Dame Kiri Ti Kanawa!!! How's that for an introduction to New Zealand?

Was met in Wellington by folks from my work. They had arranged a big taxi and a trailer for our luggage. Drove us to our apartments and inside we were greeted by a well stocked fridge, some stuff for the kids, some flowers for the Jules, a hire car in the parking bay and a mobile phone to make all those "we've landed safely calls". They then buggered off and said "see you next week" to allow us some space and to try and catch up with our time zone. A good welcome doesn't half help.

We're in a serviced apartment on The Terrace, so it's nice and central, and with Wellington being very compact, it's a short walk down to Lambton Quay and the harbour (and a steep walk back).

It's not very busy at all considering it's the capital and I am amazed by how few people there are. Like i said though, it is very hilly and the idea of using the hotel lifts to get down to the quay is a bit strange - but obviously wonderfully useful. The stairs would kill me, especially controlling the herd.

So yesterday we opened bank accounts etc. Nice and easy compared to the UK. Walk in, show some ID and out you walk with your account opened and working bank cards in your hand straight away. However, they have bank charges for EVERYTHING... even depositing money in a branch!

Also went down to the harbour. Really cool place, some nice bars and watching foolish energetic people rollerblade, cycle and jog past. Spend the afternoon in Mac's Brewery - eating, drinking and watching the world go by. My kids ran around enjoying the space and watched a group of other kids jump into the harbour from a great height.

Anyway, today we're off to see the schools for the kids, although they won't be starting until 23rd April, as Easter hols start next week - so they will have have a nice long break before they start. Probably a good thing because they now have to wait until December for their summer holidays! We're also scheduling in some house hunting as would like to get that over and done with asap. This weekend we are meeting with folks we know in Welly and intend to get a bit drunk whilst having a barbecue if the weather holds....

We've been lucky this week. Warm, no wind and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has been wonderfully helpful. Even my new mate, Dame Kiri!!
WOW !!! what a fantastic start to your new life.... keep us posted...
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:04 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely 'we have arrived' post
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:09 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful news J&D & brood!! Hopefully can meet you when we're in Welly soon?
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to NZ

all sounds good so far

Dawn
Old Mar 29th 2007, 8:16 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

When you said you'd made it - you certainly weren't messing about! Sounds ideal - getting visited at the airport (I can't believe they laid on Dame Kiri aswell!!! Are you royalty?! ) , stocked fridge and all that - sounds fantastic.

So pleased that you're made that big step - good luck for the settling down period, and most of all, enjoy!

Good luck to you all,

Wiz
Old Mar 30th 2007, 6:00 am

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of

The weather today has been fantastic. We took the kids to visit their new school, we then went to Te Papa museum and after that spent the afternoon down on the beach at Oriental Bay. The kids had a ball swimming in the sea.

As I lay there soaking up some sun, knowing full well that sooner or later the New Zealand Wellington weather will come and surprise me, I couldn't help but slap myself on the back for taking the plunge and bringing the family over.

Day 3 here and we're still delighted!!! Haven't turned back yet...!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 6:23 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

The weather today has been fantastic. We took the kids to visit their new school, we then went to Te Papa museum and after that spent the afternoon down on the beach at Oriental Bay. The kids had a ball swimming in the sea.

As I lay there soaking up some sun, knowing full well that sooner or later the New Zealand Wellington weather will come and surprise me, I couldn't help but slap myself on the back for taking the plunge and bringing the family over.

Day 3 here and we're still delighted!!! Haven't turned back yet...!
Lol good for you .... wasn't today fabulous, I didn't see much of it cos was working but our customers kept rubbing it in I mean telling me it was really hot and sunny outside
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome,welcome,welcome chief!! Must've driven past you-I was out seeing patients with a district nurse just round the corner. Jeeeez it was hot.Speaking of which-anyone up North need to borrow a towel?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

glad you're loving it , long may it continuexx
Old Mar 30th 2007, 5:04 pm

Incidentally, one thing I meant to mention was... Heathrow T3 is absolutely crap!

I have never flown from there before, mostly T1 and T4 through work, but T3 is like your worst nightmare.

Loud, Bright, Noisy. People are rude, frustrated and it's waaay to warm around the check in desks. Don't worry about trying to keep control of your kids, because no one else does, and hey.. if they happend to be stood in the way of someone with a trolley, never mind, they'll just have to deal with being run over rather than being politely asked to move aside.

If you want some advice about the best way to kick off your journey to NZ of flying from T3.... the advice is spend as little time there as possible. Get your seats allocated before check in and then find out the last possible time you need to be there... that's what you should aim for.

Alternatively, shell out for business class. The ability to use the lounges at Heathrow and Hong Kong (although Hong Kong is a lovely spacious airport) would make the start of your journey calm and enjoyable - and no fighting for seats or difficulty in getting food and drinks for the family. Also - being able to have a bed on your near-24 hours of flying could certainly make a difference... I know, I know... the cost, but I tell you - those folks in T3 - I'd have paid good money to have been set apart from them.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:02 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Dame Kiri? How cool is that?

Glad you're settling in already and getting into the Welligton pace of things

You're all welcome to come to ours for the April 7th meetup version 2.0

I'll PM you the address.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:04 am
Just Joined

clodestar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Terrace Appartments

Hi Next week we're coming out for our reccy visit and OH new company are putting us and brood of 3 ( 12,6,18mth) up in the Terrace Villa appartments. I just wandered what they are like. It sounds like your having a great time a bit further down the line than us. OH has a job starting Sept just put in EOI with plans to do ITA when we return. Already collecting all info madly.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:23 am

Default Re: Terrace Appartments

Originally Posted by clodestar
Hi Next week we're coming out for our reccy visit and OH new company are putting us and brood of 3 ( 12,6,18mth) up in the Terrace Villa appartments. I just wandered what they are like. It sounds like your having a great time a bit further down the line than us. OH has a job starting Sept just put in EOI with plans to do ITA when we return. Already collecting all info madly.
Ha, that's where my company have put us. We'll be neighbours.

They're OK, nothing fantastic, but better than a hotel and centrally located. Let me know if you have time and want to meet up... perhaps the kids could entertain each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.