Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

we fly tomorrow....advice needed on areas in chch

we fly tomorrow....advice needed on areas in chch

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

stacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to all
Question we fly tomorrow....advice needed on areas in chch

Hi there, would it be possible for those of you that are already living in Chch to advise me on these areas, especially if they are to avoid (We have 2 toddlers) and how far away they are from sydenham.....eeeeek! getting scared now!!!!!!

ADDINGTON
ILAM
WAIPARA
WOOLSTON
BROMLEY
MERIVALE
SYDENHAM
NORTHCOTE
BRYNDWR
ROLLESTON
RANGIORA
RUSSLEY
CASEBROOK
KAIKOURA
MT PLEASANT
PAPANUI
REDCLIFFS
TWIZEL

MANY THANKS
STACEY
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:27 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: we fly tomorrow....advice needed on areas in chch

Originally Posted by stacey19
Hi there, would it be possible for those of you that are already living in Chch to advise me on these areas, especially if they are to avoid (We have 2 toddlers) and how far away they are from sydenham.....eeeeek! getting scared now!!!!!!

ADDINGTON
ILAM
WAIPARA
WOOLSTON
BROMLEY
MERIVALE
SYDENHAM
NORTHCOTE
BRYNDWR
ROLLESTON
RANGIORA
RUSSLEY
CASEBROOK
KAIKOURA
MT PLEASANT
PAPANUI
REDCLIFFS
TWIZEL

MANY THANKS
STACEY
Twizel is a bit far from CHCH and a very small town. Kaikoura is a nice long drive too. We lived in Avonhead for a year. Rolleston is a new town growing fast and closer to CHCH, liked it there actually. But it's been 2 years since we lived there so it will be different now i guess.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

I take it these are places to live?
ADDINGTON close to city centre older, bit run down
ILAM close to university, annoying to get to and from Sydenham
WAIPARA check a map, a town 50 min away
WOOLSTON industrial
BROMLEY industrial cheap housing
MERIVALE very posh close to city centre inflated prices
SYDENHAM some nice bits some not nice bits, very close to town
NORTHCOTE airport
BRYNDWR halfway between airport and town, nice housing
ROLLESTON brand new town nice if you like that sort of thing (I hate it)
RANGIORA a town to the north, not easy commuting
RUSSLEY airport
CASEBROOK airport
KAIKOURA check a map, 3 hours drive
MT PLEASANT very nice but painful traffic, beach
PAPANUI the other side of town, north
REDCLIFFS nice but painful traffic, beach
TWIZEL check a map, 4 hours to drive

Is there a method to your madness? This seems like a very random way to figure out where to live?
Once you arrive, get your self a car or hirecar, and a map, then this will become much easier. There are some things that are just easiest to do once you are here.
Besides you have missed off some obvious suburbs to look at, like most of south ChCh which is close to where OH will be working.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

stacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to all

No I dont think I am being MAD by asking for advice on areas......how strange, wont be coming back here now thanks!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stacey19
No I dont think I am being MAD by asking for advice on areas......how strange, wont be coming back here now thanks!
Oh good grief. I did spend around 10 min on answering your question, and I did point out that this will be a lot easier once you are on the ground. And errm your selection did include Kaikoura and Twizel...
I hope you manage to unstress and unwind once on the plane, and good luck for your new life that starts so soon.

Last edited by Apple12; Jan 22nd 2007 at 10:08 pm.