British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   We Fly tomorrow (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/we-fly-tomorrow-597459/)

teebrown Mar 14th 2009 8:13 am

We Fly tomorrow

Well the time has come, we fly tomorrow.

After researching for 5 years and visiting NZ 2 years ago, we are actually getting on the flight tomorrow with 2 young children.

My stomach is churning, but everything is arranged, we have even booked a hire car to take us to the airport, I couldn't do with family there.

I thought the tears would have been plenty, I'm terrible at saying goodbye, but so far it's all been ok, I have refused to say goodbye, but see you later, and maybe this has helped with the emotional side. But there are two exceptions to this rule, saying goodbye to my father's plot, he died in May knowing we were emigrating and giving his blessing, and then saying goodbye to my Mum, but the good thing is she has already book a flight out for Nov.

I'm sat here still feeling sick with apprehension, but excited with the thought of an adventure.

Thank you all for getting us this far and i'm sure there will be many more questions to come.

Tee x

anniiee Mar 14th 2009 8:18 am

Re: We Fly tomorrow

Good Luck Tee !! Hope it all turns out well, and it is everything you want it to be :thumbsup::thumbsup:

squiddley Mar 14th 2009 8:48 am

Good luck.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Damson Mar 14th 2009 8:52 am

Really good luck to you with your new life down under. Although it's a bloody long journey it's still doable in a couple of days, so it's probably not goodbye anyway. Roll on November before your Mum visits. Keep that excited feeling!:thumbsup:
Lorraine

Mudplug Mar 14th 2009 9:30 am

:D Wow I feel nervous for you, well wish it was us! but we wish you all the best of luck, please keep us informed how you get on, would be very interested on your thoughts, we havent been lucky enough to visit so are going blind! :DGood Luck:D

Kags1694 Mar 14th 2009 9:53 am

Hi Tee,
We arrived in NZ on the 25th February this year, I know what you mean about leaving your family, and for me that was the hardest thing. When we arrived in NZ I didn’t open up any of our good bye cards for the first week. We are now coming up to our 3rd week, we speak to family everyday on Skype; I find that really does help. As I am writing this it sounds like I don’t want to be here, but I do, we have settled in really well. Don’t get me wrong it is hard, I thought finding a rental house would be much easier but we have found one and we get the keys Wednesday. We bought a car today which was fun, pick it up Monday, I have struggled at lot with the driving, and dreading driving on motorway on Monday, but got to do it.

You will love every minute here, I know already that it was the right thing for me and my family.

Good luck
Karen

MooMoo290373 Mar 14th 2009 9:57 am

Good luck to you all :D

Persephone Mar 14th 2009 9:58 am

Good luck, that seems to have come round quickly:thumbsup:

My dad took me to the airport and that was awful, nearly missed the plane as I didn't want to just walk off when I could still see them even after I'd gone through security:lol: You've done the right thing by going alone.
I would have done if I hadn't got so much luggage that it actually weighed more than me in total [went via LA] and I was coming from Durham, taxi would have cost a fortune.

All the best with your new life :thumbup:

Sue:D

harrogate girl Mar 14th 2009 10:06 am

Originally Posted by teebrown (Post 7378035)
Well the time has come, we fly tomorrow.

After researching for 5 years and visiting NZ 2 years ago, we are actually getting on the flight tomorrow with 2 young children.

My stomach is churning, but everything is arranged, we have even booked a hire car to take us to the airport, I couldn't do with family there.

I thought the tears would have been plenty, I'm terrible at saying goodbye, but so far it's all been ok, I have refused to say goodbye, but see you later, and maybe this has helped with the emotional side. But there are two exceptions to this rule, saying goodbye to my father's plot, he died in May knowing we were emigrating and giving his blessing, and then saying goodbye to my Mum, but the good thing is she has already book a flight out for Nov.

I'm sat here still feeling sick with apprehension, but excited with the thought of an adventure.

Thank you all for getting us this far and i'm sure there will be many more questions to come.

Tee x

Hi have to say your post took me back and I could feel my eyes filling up, as my Dad also died in May and I was back home for him.
Its the best way as to see you some time:) I hope it all goes well and post back Soon have a good flight and so nice to have your Mum coming..
Lin

weejie Mar 14th 2009 10:11 am

Can't believe it is time for you to go,it seems to have gone soooo fast. Hope all goes well and let us know how things are once you're settled in :thumbsup::thumbsup: I have already told family that we do not want any of them at the airport too,would be too emotional I think:wub:. Best wishes to you all

Phyl x

Am Loolah Mar 14th 2009 10:14 am

WOW - it'll be sweet as teebrown.:thumbup: Good luck with the voyage and keep us up to speed when you get here!:thumbsup:

Safe journey.

Batty Mar 14th 2009 10:18 am

Good luck. I'm with you on the Dad bit (April) :( I wouldn't even entertain the idea of moving while he was still alive - he had emphysema and I just couldn't get on a plane knowing that I might not get back in time. As it turned out, I wouldn't have. I feel in a funny way that it's easier now - I can believe that he sees where I'm living which I'd never have been able to do if he was still alive and back 'home'.

helenlhoppy Mar 14th 2009 11:17 am

I wish you all the best, I bet you will love it, don't forget we are all here for you too. This is exactly what this forum is for!!

Take good care and let us know when you're there. I'm jealous!! :p

Stoof Mar 14th 2009 11:22 am

good luck TB! safe flights etc!

we too plan hire car to airport and ticket already booked for my ma when our time comes! (my dad passed may too, but three years ago this year:()

take care

j19fmm Mar 14th 2009 1:57 pm

Good luck and happy flying xx