Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We finally here...any Wellington'ers?

We finally here...any Wellington'ers?

Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Kezzar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We finally here...any Wellington'ers?

Well my husband and I are finally here

Staying in a serviced apartment for the first month and a half until our houshold goodies arrive!

Now the work begins.....

We need a car, to search for rented accomodation in a good area, doctors, dentists.....and then of course a job!

My husband starts work tomorrow which leaves me to venture out and start exploring. Exciting but nerve wrecking as well

Any pointers or advise anyone can pass on from their experience living and working in Wellingon?

Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We finally here...any Wellington'ers?

live at the other end of the Island so can't help with advice but welcome to NZ and isn't the weather lovely !!! Hope you settle in quickly and enjoy all this beautiful country has to offer. Bevissa
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bevissa65
live at the other end of the Island so can't help with advice but welcome to NZ and isn't the weather lovely !!! Hope you settle in quickly and enjoy all this beautiful country has to offer. Bevissa
Thank you! I can't believe we here now! It's gone so quickly. So much to do now. And YES, the weather is GREAT!!! Goodbye UK snow.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Travelqueen is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Wellington!
I've been here since August and doctors and dentists were relatively easy to find with recommendations from flatmates and colleagues.

Have finally just bought a car (which are generally more expensive and older than the UK). There's a book which is sort of equivalent to the Parkers used car guide - it's called the Dog and Lemon guide and is in the magazine section of the book store. I bought mine from a garage in the city but the other options seem to be Trade Me or Turners Auctions.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:00 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! Feel free to PM me if you need any help with anything.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the best city in New Zealand...
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

mumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura about

Hi and welcome to Wellington.

We are living in Tawa in a motel at the moment arrived in late September. Wellington area is amazing and you will really enjoy the city. Take time to explore. So far have seen the Tepa Museum which is really interesting and some of the coast around Porirua. planning to see more after Christmas once the kids finish for the Summer Break and we move into our new house in Upper hutt.

So if need anything or just to meet for Coffee pm me and we can arange something. Do not sit in the motel on your own come and join in the fun!

Marion and Family (Carl working Bethany 11 and Alex 9)
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mumbee2
Hi and welcome to Wellington.

We are living in Tawa in a motel at the moment arrived in late September. Wellington area is amazing and you will really enjoy the city. Take time to explore. So far have seen the Tepa Museum which is really interesting and some of the coast around Porirua. planning to see more after Christmas once the kids finish for the Summer Break and we move into our new house in Upper hutt.

So if need anything or just to meet for Coffee pm me and we can arange something. Do not sit in the motel on your own come and join in the fun!

Marion and Family (Carl working Bethany 11 and Alex 9)
Hi Marion and Family
Thank you for message. We still have a lot to explore. My husband started work today so I'll be on my own during the day which is a bit of a novality for me. I enjoyed walking through Wellington. A lot of choices for food and drink;-)
We currently staying on The terrace street in an apartment until mid Feb. Hopefully by then our household items would have arrived. We still trying to familularize ourselves. We need to find a car and of course a place to rent. How did you manage to find your new place?
Have you started work yet?
Kezzar
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:56 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

There's a motel in Tawa? The one by the Dress Smart place?
We live in Tawa
Old Dec 14th 2010, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

mumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by RobClubley
There's a motel in Tawa? The one by the Dress Smart place?
We live in Tawa
Yes it is the motel opposite dressmart!
Old Dec 14th 2010, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kezzar
Hi Marion and Family
Thank you for message. We still have a lot to explore. My husband started work today so I'll be on my own during the day which is a bit of a novality for me. I enjoyed walking through Wellington. A lot of choices for food and drink;-)
We currently staying on The terrace street in an apartment until mid Feb. Hopefully by then our household items would have arrived. We still trying to familularize ourselves. We need to find a car and of course a place to rent. How did you manage to find your new place?
Have you started work yet?
Kezzar
Hi Kezzar

Answer to questions. I am not planning on working immediately as we have children needing me at home currently. We decide to buy straight away and have just found a new build sections in Upper Hutt. Awaitin moving into our house. We found our motel through bookabach trying to book another motel but if you want the details for this motel which will take long term residence for the 3 or 4 months to start off with it is good for. There are 3 families here at the moment who have arrived in NZ in the last 3 months 2 of us hoping to move out in the next few weeks.

glad you are enjoying Wellington loads of things to do and the view of the sea is amazing from the habour front!!