Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We are coming over in January

We are coming over in January

Old Oct 12th 2014, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

suza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond repute
Default We are coming over in January

Yes he got the job!! Do we bring everything? Moving to Tauranga.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 8:22 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are coming over in January

Yep, bring everything. Yes, even that....and those.

You will probably have a clear out of your stuff prior to coming to NZ. Don't worry if you have another clear out of your own stuff after arriving. Then after that it will just be the normal chucking out of things out you no longer want or need.

You might not think much of your possessions right now but everything will act as a, 'comfort blanket' even your comfort blankets. You know all the little, 'quirks' of your tools, utensils etc.

Emigrating/relocating is vey jarring. Just being able to put your hand on your old familiar possessions, when you take delivery of them in NZ, helps you feel real.

Once you, 'get over' the initial shock/honeymoon phase of arriving in a foreign country, then you can have a clear out of the stuff you brought with you. You might be thinking, 'I don't know why we brought it with us/how much did we pay just to bring that ?'

Please don't think, 'oh never mind, I'll get another one over there'. You'll never have a left handed screwdriver IYSWIM like the one you used to have.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

suza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond repute

Aw thank you. Yes we will bring everything. Thank god I asked as was going to come with just clothes. The big question is my car!! It's a Vauxhal zafira. 2008 with low mileage.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by suza712565
Aw thank you. Yes we will bring everything. Thank god I asked as was going to come with just clothes. The big question is my car!! It's a Vauxhal zafira. 2008 with low mileage.
sell it , there's loads of cars in nz, look on trademe
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

As SnapShot says, bring everything. We packed the house, including motobike but left white goods and TV. Sold car, van and all our camping equipment. Have a look on 100% Store for electrical stuff. Buy footware in UK, we have heard it's quite expensive in NZ. We fly out a week tomorrow. Good luck.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:25 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

bring the car, better the devil you know. bought our Zafira 2005 and as its technically a Opal its comes under the Holden branch so has lots of garages that cover it for parts and not to costly. we could not afford not to bring it and it only added a few hundred to the container and was roughly $1500 (?) to get its compliance, reg and taxed. you won't be able to sell it without having to pay some import tax on it for 2yrs but as its still fairly new then can't see that you will want to. you may have to hire a car for a few weeks to cover time on container and getting it through customs but still worked out cheaper for us.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 8:42 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=suza712565;11435906]Aw thank you. Yes we will bring everything. Thank god I asked as was going to come with just clothes. /QUOTE]

You're welcome.

To many people emigrate with their, 'holiday head' on. Like you said, you were only going to bring clothes.

Think, 'moving house' rather than, 'long holiday.' When your movers/packers come to give you your quotes, you don't have to take their insurance. The insurance value of your household possessions should be the same as what is paid presently in household insurance value.

We bought our car here in NZ. There was not enough value in our old car to justify shipping it. You may want to bring yours. Cars are very expensive here. No more bargains from your neighbourhood corner car yard. There are car dealers here, it's not that it's a rip off. Just that cars are expensive in NZ.

Also, the majority of cars for sale here in NZ are automatic gears. Mine has a manual gear box as I don't like automatics. Kiwis, like Americans, seem to struggle with the clutch pedal !
Old Oct 12th 2014, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Snap Shot;11436366]
Originally Posted by suza712565
Aw thank you. Yes we will bring everything. Thank god I asked as was going to come with just clothes. /QUOTE]

You're welcome.

To many people emigrate with their, 'holiday head' on. Like you said, you were only going to bring clothes.

Think, 'moving house' rather than, 'long holiday.' When your movers/packers come to give you your quotes, you don't have to take their insurance. The insurance value of your household possessions should be the same as what is paid presently in household insurance value.

We bought our car here in NZ. There was not enough value in our old car to justify shipping it. You may want to bring yours. Cars are very expensive here. No more bargains from your neighbourhood corner car yard. There are car dealers here, it's not that it's a rip off. Just that cars are expensive in NZ.

Also, the majority of cars for sale here in NZ are automatic gears. Mine has a manual gear box as I don't like automatics. Kiwis, like Americans, seem to struggle with the clutch pedal !
Using a clutch is too hard work for my left foot. I need to relax it all the time for the stressful day ahead

Seriously though bring everything! We didn't when moved over and it's cost us around $18,000 to fully furnish our house. That were buying cheap with Harvey Norman, Smiths City and Warehouse. Of course, you could buy second hand and it'll be far cheaper but the quality, warranty amongst other things may not be there
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:54 pm

[QUOTE=Tom H;11436373]
Originally Posted by Snap Shot

Seriously though bring everything! We didn't when moved over and it's cost us around $18,000 to fully furnish our house.
We went to one of those, 'Emigrate to Aus/NZ/Canada' fairs in Britain a year or so before we left. We didn't really need to go to one but went anyway. In my view it was a sales expo for the airlines, insurance companies, shipping companies, employment agencies, banks etc. Maybe the occasional stand from an organisation that has vacancies in NZ but it was mostly people with a service to sell.

About the only thing that sticks with me was the guy who was giving a 45minute presentation regarding NZ said, 'one couple he knew that emigrated from Britain to NZ didn't take their furniture. They are still recovering from that decision several years later.'

That's not to say that, 'The Warehouse' (like all the non-food departments of Tesco altogether in one place) isn't great for the kind of things it's good for. You will still need to buy replacement kitchen utensils etc either on arrival or during your life in NZ.

Harvey Norman is good for furniture as we've purchased from them in the last couple of years as our old furniture that we brought with us needed to be replaced due to age anyway. I would not have liked to have found the money for new furniture or even decent second hand furniture shortly after arriving in NZ.

Bring your old stuff with you, even if it costs to ship it. You can replace what you want to replace in time when you are good and ready.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 12th 2014 at 10:02 pm. Reason: Thought of something else
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Wow thank you all for your replies. We are now looking into bringing everything and the car. Pigdog where abouts are you going? Would love to hear how you get on. Just sorting out our medicals and chest xray.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone live in or near Tauranga?
Old Oct 12th 2014, 10:07 pm

Bevs is a moderator of this site. I'm pretty sure she lives near Tauranga. BTW, what industry does your husband work in ? What do you plan to do in NZ ?
Old Oct 12th 2014, 10:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Bevs is a moderator of this site. I'm pretty sure she lives near Tauranga. BTW, what industry does your husband work in ? What do you plan to do in NZ ?
Here I am, just back from Welly and no I don't.
I live on that other island on the other side of the pond. The Nelson and Tasman Bays area.

Been to Tauranga though. It was 2nd on our list of area to live. Actually, it was Mr BEVS 2nd choice. Nelson being his first choice. He had the job offers so he got to choose. Only fair was that.

From what we saw and what we hear , it's a good area to live. People living here actually leave this area to go and live there .

Trying to remember who lives in that area.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Trying to remember who lives in that area.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=897112
Old Oct 13th 2014, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

We don't live in Tauranga, in fact we're in Rotorua approx an hour's drive away. But we visit Tauranga area quite regularly, usually the Mount or Papamoa areas. Give us a shout when you know for sure when / where you're going to be living. If you end up taking on an unfurnished rental for any time before your container arrives I can lend you some of the basic essentials, you know towels, bed linens, crockery, cutlery etc etc to tide you over so you don't need to go out & buy a whole heap of new stuff. Unless of course you want to. Good luck with the plans, January will be here in no time!
Cate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.