Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

On the way out to NZ

On the way out to NZ

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:14 pm
NZ is calling.....

Smelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really nice
Question On the way out to NZ

Although we still haven't sold, we are still planning!!!

We are planning on doing some traveling on the way to our new life in NZ.... but the question we have is what to do with our luggage, as we plan on backpacking but also plan on having a few bags with us and the laptop.... so the question i'm trying to ask is has anyone ever left there bags any where and then traveled on and returned to collect them a few weeks later, if so where? as not sure we like the idea of a locker in a airport. we are looking at traveling around south east Asia (Thailand etc..).

Thanks Fi

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:36 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: On the way out to NZ

Originally Posted by Smelly Cat

We are planning on doing some traveling on the way to our new life in NZ.... but the question we have is what to do with our luggage, as we plan on backpacking but also plan on having a few bags with us and the laptop.... so the question i'm trying to ask is has anyone ever left there bags any where and then traveled on and returned to collect them a few weeks later, if so where? as not sure we like the idea of a locker in a airport. we are looking at traveling around south east Asia (Thailand etc..).

Thanks Fi

I didn't know that airports have lockers anymore. Hmmm...learn new things all the time.
Perhaps you should rent a locker at a self storage yard. Look in the yellow pages. There should be a yard near where you want to set up a home base.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Left mine in a locker in a hostel before, or in a lockable baggage storage area some of them have, especially when I've been off on a trip for a few days and don't need my big rucksack...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:41 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Fi,

sorry can't help you with left luggage, but just wanted to say have a great trip on the way to NZ. We hail from Lanhydrock, just outside Bodmin, in Cwll. Whereabouts are you ?

Best Wishes
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

A hotel might well oblige in the same way that UK airport hotels will let you leave your car in their car park while you nip off on your package holiday. Left luggage seems to have become a rarity since 9-11 - I used to use it a lot doing interrail round Europe many many moons ago.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:46 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
A hotel might well oblige in the same way that UK airport hotels will let you leave your car in their car park while you nip off on your package holiday. Left luggage seems to have become a rarity since 9-11 - I used to use it a lot doing interrail round Europe many many moons ago.
Hi Fiona

(Marika, if my memory serves me right they're from Newquay??!!)

Why not ask on this site, as most are pretty helpful, whether anyone has a base here you can dump luggage with? You can with us, but we're 3 hours from Auckland...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:44 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smelly Cat

Thanks Fi

We left our luggage at Changi Airport for 3 days on our stopover; it was easier than carting half a dozen suitcases with us into the city, for the kids to pull everything out just so I could pack it again!!

If you look on the airport you are flying into you should find all the details

HTH
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Bangkok and Hong Kong airports definitely have left luggage cos I used them both a few months ago. I'm sure most airports do, but why don't you google each airport you are thinking of leaving stuff at and check the facilities available.

Have a great trip - I travelled for 5 months through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, OZ and then NZ last year. If you want to ask me anything, or have a link to my blog, feel free to PM me.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:23 am
NZ is calling.....

Smelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really niceSmelly Cat is just really nice

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful... will look into all the suggestions... was also thinkin might even send a crate with bits and bobs in ahead of us leaving, as we arent taking any furniture.

Am Loolah - you are right Newquay is where we are..... if only the house will sell then we can leave!!!

Fi