Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The way forward for grandparent?

The way forward for grandparent?

Old Dec 11th 2019, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The way forward for grandparent?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
At least you're half way there I like the sound of you, I think you belong in this hemisphere
Aww thanks 😊 I enjoyed my time over there in the 90's (even nearly married an Ulster boy I met in Oz but was not ready for marriage then) most of my friends in Nz are Brits and South Africans although I do have a few kiwis in there as well.
Hope to get over for my first visit in 26 years later next year, on my own too!!
Old Dec 15th 2019, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
So you think prostituting yourself out is a good idea.....!!! ​​​​​​Good grief
?

Good grief to you too.

Wow. What a gutter mind you have.

I wasn't talking about paying for sexual favours you know!

I was talking about good old fashioned companionship.

Someone to have a cuddle with, to care for, to be affectionate with, to travel through your twilight years together, to ward off loneliness with, someone to go to the cinema with, to have a cup of tea and a natter with, to take walks on the beach with, to spoil grandchildren with, to dance with, to travel with, to garden with, to share interests with, and so on.

Actually really speechless with your degrading comment

Woah

Old Dec 15th 2019, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Yep, 'cos your suggestion of "find a kiwi husband" was so much more helpful 😉
Well it was said in jest. But the more I think about it the more I like the idea.

Old Dec 15th 2019, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess
Well it was said in jest. But the more I think about it the more I like the idea.
Actually now it's been pointed out, I'd just like someone to travel with. I do it on my own but sometimes it would be good to have a travel buddy 😊
​​​​​

Last edited by Mishclark; Dec 15th 2019 at 4:24 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 15th 2019, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

?

Good grief to you too.

Wow. What a gutter mind you have.

I wasn't talking about paying for sexual favours you know!

I was talking about good old fashioned companionship.

Someone to have a cuddle with, to care for, to be affectionate with, to travel through your twilight years together, to ward off loneliness with, someone to go to the cinema with, to have a cup of tea and a natter with, to take walks on the beach with, to spoil grandchildren with, to dance with, to travel with, to garden with, to share interests with, and so on.

Actually really speechless with your degrading comment

Woah
Get over yourself luv,
I'm sure there's a forum for whatever country you live in, why not post on there, no one is interested in your views or opinions on anything on this one. Do us all a favour and stop embarrassing yourself, jog on..!!
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

This is drifting a bit, but it does highlight the change in the acceptance criteria.
So far we have one poster who will no longer qualify now it depends on the child's income.
We also have a post which suggests that it is now "Auckland good job only".

This is a very small sample.
Does anyone have a feel for how many people with an EOI in place will still qualify?

I can see that the previous rules were very much in favour of retired parents who had paid of the mortgage and had a pension coming in.
Now that no longer applies, I wonder how many will have to drop out?
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Not an unreasonable suggestion.
"Marriage of convenience" has a long and sometimes even noble history, although it also sometimes degenerates into flogging off unwilling young females to affluent old men.

Possibly worth a "Lonely Hearts" advert in NZ - UK female looking for NZ male with intelligence, charm, and NZ residence. Romance, leading to citizenship.
I have no idea what the proportion of unattached males to females is in the "mature" category in NZ, but I imagine that if you wanted the best market then rural farming types in South Island would be a good bet.
You might have to work quite hard in harsh conditions, though.
Millionaire with own helicopter in Auckland might be a slightly bigger ask.

Seriously, it is not such a silly idea.
Could be a chance to start a dating agency.

Cynical of me, of course, but you do see white UK men in their 50s/60s with an Asian bride much younger than them.
Followed by unworthy thoughts about which catalogue they came from.
However I don't see this as prostitution if both are willing partners.
Both gain something that they want.
Done honourably, it is an arrangement with many mutual benefits.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage of convenience is an issue when the foreigners then apply to bring in other family members. Exploitation if this world wide now means if I wanted to, I couldn't return to the UK with my kiwi wife
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 9:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat

Cynical of me, of course, but you do see white UK men in their 50s/60s with an Asian bride much younger than them.
I don't see it as prostitution either. But marrying someone solely to bypass immigration law can't be done honourably.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't see it as prostitution either. But marrying someone solely to bypass immigration law can't be done honourably.
I don't think doing it solely to bypass immigration law would particularly honourable.
However in this case one would be doing it to comply with immigration law.
I think the suggestion was to endeavour to strike up a genuine relationship which would qualify you to live long term in NZ.

There were cases in the past where in the UK marriage was enough to grant citizenship, and there were cases (I know of one) where a woman (in this particular case) paid a man to marry her so she could be a UK citizen.
Turns out they had a long term relationship and a child. Who would have predicted that?
Just checked, and it isn't quite that easy now.
The applicant has to have been a resident in the UK for at least 3 years.
So no marrying someone and then shipping them in, as far as I can tell.
The person has to be legally resident.
Hmmmm....can you get residence based on marriage?
Looks like you can if you jump through a number of hoops designed to make it difficult.
So it does look as though you can still marry someone, bring them to the UK and then after 3 years apply for naturalisation.
However the act of marrying doesn't confer citizenship.
I think at one time it did.

I don't know if Kiwi law has followed UK law,
From some comments above it is not a simple process to establish that the relationship is genuine.

For clarity, the proposal was to find a suitable long term partner who had the added bonus of being an NZ citizen.
The deeper motives of any marriage or long term partnership are up to the couple involved, I think.

So marrying an NZ citizen is a possibility, but you would have to demonstrate clearly that it was a long term stable relationship.
Looks like it is much the same in the UK.
Just to stop the quick immigration fix, I assume.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, and anyone know how many are likely to drop out of the queue based on the new rules?
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Not an unreasonable suggestion.
"Marriage of convenience" has a long and sometimes even noble history, although it also sometimes degenerates into flogging off unwilling young females to affluent old men.

Possibly worth a "Lonely Hearts" advert in NZ - UK female looking for NZ male with intelligence, charm, and NZ residence. Romance, leading to citizenship.
I have no idea what the proportion of unattached males to females is in the "mature" category in NZ, but I imagine that if you wanted the best market then rural farming types in South Island would be a good bet.
You might have to work quite hard in harsh conditions, though.
Millionaire with own helicopter in Auckland might be a slightly bigger ask.

Seriously, it is not such a silly idea.
Could be a chance to start a dating agency.

My age group , early 50's, South Island? Umm well around Chch practically zero..😂

I'm too old to cope with the thought of Tinder...