Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The way forward for grandparent?

The way forward for grandparent?

Old Oct 7th 2019, 9:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: The way forward for grandparent?

Originally Posted by Thorners
I was so excited to read this. Imminent move to NZ (husband is Kiwi) and leaving my mum is my biggest worry. However I noticed the criteria says you can't have another adult child in the same country as you. My sister is in the UK but she and my mum are estranged and that won't change so she won't be getting any help from her as she heads into older age. Do you think this criteria means it would be impossible for us assuming we meet all other criteria? I wonder if they would take the situation into account if I explained it or whether it's a black and white box tick?
I am not sure where you are reading this?
The criteria is that the sponsored parent must not have any dependant children.

The weighting now is that those already in NZ earn a good double of the national median wage before they can sponsor their parent(s) to come to NZ.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Thorners is an unknown quantity at this point

On the immigration website the criteria under tier two states - "any other adult children you have must live in a different country from you."
Old Oct 7th 2019, 9:14 pm
`

On the immigration website the criteria under tier two states - "any other adult children you have must live in a different country from you."
Ah. Thank you. I remember it was there but I have been unable to find that again. Obvs I did not look hard enough.
Old Oct 8th 2019, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Tier 2 had been abolished.
Although, last time I looked, the old rules were still there there was a route to the new rules with only one tier.

Everything is now based on the income of the sponsoring child or couple.
This may well thin out the queue of people who already have an EOI lodged because previously they could qualify on their income and savings.
I have no idea how many of the sponsoring children meet the requirement including two years of income tax records.

I also have no idea how there will be any guarantee that the children will support the parents. I thought that was one of the issues with the previous scheme.

No doubt all will become clear in time.
Old Oct 9th 2019, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I read this to earn wages in that threashold, you're pretty much only talking Auckland thereby essentially making that regions property nightmare even worse! But glad it helps a few (rich!) people out. Would have liked to have seen an Auckland minimum and a rest of NZ minimum
Old Nov 30th 2019, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MumofKiwis
I have considered buying a small house in NZ to use as a base whenever I visit but that brings its own headaches . . . tax implications, what to do with the house when I'm in UK, etc.
Oh, what to do? The silence emanating from the NZ Government regarding the future of the Parent Visa Category is deafening! FaceTime and Skype are the only things keeping me sane . . . but I long to pick up my grandsons and give them kisses and cuddles from grandma!

You could always find yourself a Kiwi husband and get in on a spouse visa. I am not saying this flippantly either. You say you have no ties, but maybe you would like some companionship into your older age, as you cannot spend all your time with your grandchildren.

And if you do buy a house, you can rent it out when you are in the UK.

If there is any tax implications for overseas ownership, then have the house in your sons names (I am sure you would leave it to them in your will anyway)

Anyway just some ideas

Old Nov 30th 2019, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
And then after your 6 month tourist visa is up pop across to Oz for a holiday and then you will come back into NZ with another 6 months.

Great idea in theory. But would it work in practice. Pretty sure the authorities have got it covered to stop people doing this

You can get a visitors visa for 9 months in NZ, but they only allow visitors to stay for 9 months in an 18 month period.

And on a 6 month visa you you cannot stay more than 6 months in any 12 month period.

It would be quite expensive to constantly fly back and forwards to Australia or Fiji for a "holiday" visa turnaround

I say find a Kiwi partner and try to get in on a spouse visa.

Old Nov 30th 2019, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

MumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud of

Hi PittwaterPrincess,

The thought had crossed my mind!!!

With the new rules neither of my sons earn the required salary, and now that they each have a son of their own aged 1 year and 2 years respectively neither "couple" meet the couples salary requirements as each mum has been on maternity leave! I find it very annoying that I qualified under Tier 1 of the old scheme, but now the responsibility of whether or not a parent can join their children is 100% on the shoulders of the child. In the case of my two sons, they have enough to worry about with their new families, and don't need the extra responsibility of an aging parent!

One of my sons did contact the NZ Immigration to ask if he and his brother could combine their incomes (as they are my only children) but the answer was a resounding "no". It seems the NZ Government is doing everything in its power to keep family members apart.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess

You could always find yourself a Kiwi husband and get in on a spouse visa. I am not saying this flippantly either.
So you think prostituting yourself out is a good idea.....!!!

​​​​​​Good grief
Old Dec 1st 2019, 8:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol

​​​​​​Good grief
Old Dec 1st 2019, 7:38 pm
`

Originally Posted by MumofKiwis
Hi PittwaterPrincess,

The thought had crossed my mind!!!
That is a long and winding road to take.
Friends of ours have just been through this. I would say from their first meeting to her gaining NZ residency took a good 4 years and much nail biting. They met online y'see . Met up a few times thereafter spending time together. She then came to NZ as a visitor and lived with him for 3 months . She then left per that particular visa requirement later returning to spend the year in full partnership per another visa requirement. She was also given a work permit which allowed her to live and work. Once the time was up they applied for her NZ residency. This took AGES and many many many bits of evidence going right back to their first conversation even and up to their marriage last year. There was cross checking , double checking and checking again. Many questions and a huge tome of paperwork. Finally it came through.
I think that unless one has met an NZer overseas and set up home together for some years that this route is definitely not for the faint hearted. As we know from previous threads about this pathway not even marriage or children together ensures a smooth run under the partnership policy.

With the new rules neither of my sons earn the required salary, and now that they each have a son of their own aged 1 year and 2 years respectively neither "couple" meet the couples salary requirements as each mum has been on maternity leave!
Is that likely to change soon. As in will one of the new Mums go back to work and the couple then meet the new requirement ?

I find it very annoying that I qualified under Tier 1 of the old scheme, but now the responsibility of whether or not a parent can join their children is 100% on the shoulders of the child. In the case of my two sons, they have enough to worry about with their new families, and don't need the extra responsibility of an aging parent!
This is a hard one all round. A political hot potato really as , just as in the UK, immigration & who should be allowed to immigrate has become something of an issue. To me the re-opening of the parent category is a token gesture. The shift of emphasis from the parent to the child is likely in part because of the differing ways assorted countries funds their ageing population or not as the case may be. It needs to encompass all those immigrants from the top countries . That's a political move and a vote catch.

Top 5 countries in order for the past 3 years or so.
China
India
Uk
SA
Philippines
Old Dec 1st 2019, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​Good grief
I wish we could like posts as on Facebook, I couldn't like this comment more if I tried..
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:44 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess

Great idea in theory. But would it work in practice. Pretty sure the authorities have got it covered to stop people doing this
Yep, 'cos your suggestion of "find a kiwi husband" was so much more helpful 😉
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 4:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​Good grief

Originally Posted by Mishclark
I wish we could like posts as on Facebook, I couldn't like this comment more if I tried..
Old Dec 4th 2019, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

All jokes aside OP, I don't know how old you are (nor would I be rude enough to ask!) , I'm in my 50's and it's slim pickings out there, decent single blokes my age are few and far between. Very few and very far. Not that I would recommend that avenue. I'm Australian so don't need a visa and already live in NZ but there were some scams going on in Oz last year that involved people getting busted for fake marriages.

​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.