Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The way forward for grandparent?

The way forward for grandparent?

Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:16 am
Just Joined

MumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud of
Default Re: The way forward for grandparent?

Thanks Pom_Chch .
Old Sep 6th 2019, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Still disagree, but I'm really of the opinion that House Sitting would NOT be allowed on a Visitor Visa.
To guarantee you are sticking within your visa conditions you really must contact INZ directly and ask, with the answer in writing if it is all good. The forum doesn't know for sure 100% and asking a House Sitting agency doesn't guarantee the right answer. As they stated in their reply to the OP, they say you don't need a working visa to house sit........that statement is true, you don't, as you can house sit on other types of visas that aren't working visas. At no time does that agency state you can house sit on a visitor visa.

Read this :- https://www.immigration.govt.nz/know...-question-1349

and this :- https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ng-new-zealand

Whilst house sitting, you would receive gain or reward in that you get to live in the house for free or put it another way, as payment for looking after the house, watering the plants and feeding the dog, you receive free accommodation in return for your 'services'. I don't know how much more black and white you want it explained ?

It appears to be a matter of whether or not you are considered an employee. A volunteer is not considered an employee and as such does not come under the Employment Act or Employment Law.
https://www.employment.govt.nz/start...ee/volunteers/
A way around it may be to pay an accommodation charge ?

Last edited by escapedtonz; Sep 6th 2019 at 3:04 am.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 3:11 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I see your point Escape, I really do. But if a tourist house sits for a local, how would INZ ever know? Especially if they don't go through an official site and house sit for a friend of a friend. Not that I condone breaking laws or anything but INZ are hardly going to be door knocking on houses to see if there's any illigitimate house sitting going on. And even if they do knock on your door how could they ever prove your house sitting? "Hello are you house sitting?" "No I'm staying with some friends, they aren't in at the moment" "OK goodbye"...
Old Sep 6th 2019, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, it is highly unlikely an Immigration officer would ever know, but do you take the chance ?
Would you take the chance ?
Would you advise a friend or relative to take the chance ?

As a person coming to NZ (and thinking about my personal experiences 7.5 years ago), the one thing I wanted to make sure over anything was to stick within the rules and remain within the conditions of our visas. I didn't want to give anybody any ammunition to have us kicked out of the country.

The discussion isn't about whether or not the OP would get found out or not. It is whether House Sitting is classed as working for gain or reward and I think I've answered that one. If the OP wishes to take the chance then that is up to them.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

MumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud of

Reminder of basic information . . . I am a UK citizen, retired and over the age of 35. I do not fulfill the conditions required to obtain any category of work visa. I have to travel on a visitor visa.

In my post on 31st August, I was of the view that house-sitting/pet-sitting would be considered "work" by INZ, a view reinforced by references on the INZ website and in the INZ manual (thank you again, escapedtonz). However, wishing to explore every avenue, (no matter how small!) I did write to the house-sitting site suggested by BEVS (thank you again) as they should be aware of current rules and regulations. As their reply seemed to conflict with the INZ information, I then wrote to INZ directly for a definitive answer! I am now just waiting for their response. When (or if?) a reply is forthcoming I will post it here,
Old Sep 7th 2019, 7:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MumofKiwis
Hi Pom_Chch,

I'd forgotten about house-sitting! I researched a couple of companies about two years ago but was put off by the length of time it would take to build up a good reputation/record of sittings, thinking the competition between sitters for available houses would probably be intense. But I suppose you have to start somewhere! Last year I did house-sit for a work colleague of my son, looking after a cat for two weeks, and that worked out well. And it was in the right locality for visiting my grandson! I will definitely look into that again . . . thanks for the reminder!
In my post on 31st August, I was of the view that house-sitting/pet-sitting would be considered "work" by INZ, a view reinforced by references on the INZ website and in the INZ manual (thank you again, escapedtonz). However, wishing to explore every avenue, (no matter how small!) I did write to the house-sitting site suggested by BEVS (thank you again) as they should be aware of current rules and regulations. As their reply seemed to conflict with the INZ information, I then wrote to INZ directly for a definitive answer! I am now just waiting for their response. When (or if?) a reply is forthcoming I will post it here,
Thank you MumofKiwis. I have also contacted NZIS about this for a definitive answer.

I also contacted another large NZ based house sitting company . They have kindly replied and had this to say.

Hi there
From 1 October 2019, visitors from visa-waiver countries must request an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) prior to coming to New Zealand. You may also have to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). For more information on the ETA and IVL, visit Immigration New Zealand.If you do House Sitting for our organisation, Homesit NZ Ltd, it is not “work” as you do not get paid. So as I understand it you would not be in breach of our immigration rules.

Quite honestly, I feel there is little to worry about with regard to house sitting. It is happening all the time all over the world and certainly all over New Zealand ,not to mention right here where I live. There is little to no evidence that anyone is being sanctioned or deported for it or that those who habitually house sit year on year are being chased down to pay tax on their 'benefits' ; nor that those needing a house sitter are being done for inviting possible illegal services or that those offering said intro services are operating outside of NZ law . If it all became a political hot potato there might be a drive to clamp down somehow for some reason which would also come with an alteration to policy wording, but as it stands I very much doubt that even if it is seen as 'work' in some way BY the Dept of Immigration, that it is high on anyone's list of bothers. Much in NZ works on a black economy and mess with that at your peril.

That is not to say that I would condone an illegal activity . I would not. It is rather that I feel it is possible to overthink sometimes. Cross your I's and T's too many times so that in the end one cannot tell the I from the T.

The permutations for a house sit are incredibly varied. It is wide spread and popular all across the world just as is a house swap with its varying 'benefits' .

Yes. I will be interested to read what NZIS may have to say on this if I hear back.

Old Sep 8th 2019, 6:53 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
I agree, it is highly unlikely an Immigration officer would ever know, but do you take the chance ? Yes I would
Would you take the chance ? Yes I would
Would you advise a friend or relative to take the chance ? Yes I would
I'm with BEVS on this one. Yes I've read the rules but personally I would risk it and if I was that concerned about it I would set up some form of payment to the people I'm house sitting for so it looks like I'm a tourist paying for accommodation...
Old Oct 6th 2019, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

The silence emanating from the NZ Government regarding the future of the Parent Visa Category is deafening!
Looks like there might be some hope now (as long as your sons are earning enough):
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12274084
Old Oct 6th 2019, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Wow! That should be good news for some children and their parents! Probably affects those applying through Tier Two more than those applying through Tier One. but it's a step in the right direction!

Thank you for the update.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Here is the link to the Government website . . .

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...w-requirements

I hope the powers that be realize that some of the information already supplied on the EOI will now be out of date as it was submitted several years ago! (Eg savings, house value, income, etc) I wonder if there will now be a mad rush to update that information before May 2020 when they start selecting EOIs.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 12:45 am
Just Joined

I have just found some more info on the Government website . . .

If you have an existing EOI

We will email you telling you that the visa is reopening and how it is changing. You can choose to:
  • update your EOI to meet the new requirements
  • withdraw your EOI and apply for a refund of your EOI fee
  • leave your EOI in the queue — if you think you will meet the visa’s new requirements.
If you do not get an email from us, contact us to update your email address.

Contact us

We will publish more information about how to update your EOI by November 2019.

When the visa reopens, we will select EOIs based on the date we originally received them for processing, regardless of whether they were submitted under tier 1 or tier 2.

So that has answered my own question regarding updating the information supplied on the EOI . . . roll on November!
Old Oct 7th 2019, 1:38 am
Just Joined

I have just received an email from NZ Immigration informing me of the recent announcement regarding the re-opening of the Parent Category and explaining my EOI options. As they say in NZ . . . Sweet as!
Old Oct 7th 2019, 1:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have just received an email from NZ Immigration informing me of the recent announcement regarding the re-opening of the Parent Category and explaining my EOI options. As they say in NZ . . . Sweet as!
Good news.

Old Oct 7th 2019, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's not going to be easy for most,as you have to be going some to meet those new earning thresholds:

1 Sponsor for 1 parent (sponsor’s income) NZD $106,080

1 sponsor for 2 parents (sponsor’s income) NZD $159,120

Sponsor and partner for 1 parent (joint income) NZD $159,120

Sponsor and partner for 2 parents (joint income) NZD $212,160

Old Oct 7th 2019, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Thorners is an unknown quantity at this point

I was so excited to read this. Imminent move to NZ (husband is Kiwi) and leaving my mum is my biggest worry. However I noticed the criteria says you can't have another adult child in the same country as you. My sister is in the UK but she and my mum are estranged and that won't change so she won't be getting any help from her as she heads into older age. Do you think this criteria means it would be impossible for us assuming we meet all other criteria? I wonder if they would take the situation into account if I explained it or whether it's a black and white box tick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.