Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The way forward for grandparent?

The way forward for grandparent?

Old Sep 1st 2019, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The way forward for grandparent?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
All that goes away if the UK leaves the EU with no WA at the end of October.
That is a possibility but no guarantee. Nobody knows what will happen.......until it happens. All one can do is apply the rules as they are now or at the time you contact the relevant authorities and not guess what will happen in the future.
Justcol may also be an NZ citizen just like his Mrs so it may not matter anyways and he (just like his Mrs) applies for a visa as an NZ Citizen and not an EU/EEA National because he has a son living in France who is possibly a French Resident or French Permanent Resident or French Citizen.
If I had to bet money on it I'd say there won't be as much change as people seem to think there will be with BREXIT. Yes the UK will not be part of the EU or even maybe the EEA but they'll probably become similar to the status of say Switzerland, who is neither an EU nor an EEA member but is part of the single market in addition to Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway......Maybe?
Old Sep 1st 2019, 12:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BritInParis
All that goes away if the UK leaves the EU with no WA at the end of October.
It does.

I am hoping Justcol will update the relevant thread.

Old Sep 1st 2019, 12:56 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
That is a possibility but no guarantee. Nobody knows what will happen.......until it happens. All one can do is apply the rules as they are now or at the time you contact the relevant authorities and not guess what will happen in the future.
Justcol may also be an NZ citizen just like his Mrs so it may not matter anyways and he (just like his Mrs) applies for a visa as an NZ Citizen and not an EU/EEA National because he has a son living in France who is possibly a French Resident or French Permanent Resident or French Citizen.
If I had to bet money on it I'd say there won't be as much change as people seem to think there will be with BREXIT. Yes the UK will not be part of the EU or even maybe the EEA but they'll probably become similar to the status of say Switzerland, who is neither an EU nor an EEA member but is part of the single market in addition to Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway......Maybe?
That would require the UK to continue with Freedom of Movement which certainly won’t be happening without a WA and even then it’ll only be temporary.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 1:24 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MumofKiwis
I've just had a thought . . . is house-sitting/pet-sitting considered "work"? Not allowed on a visitor visa! Eek!
​​​​​​
If you're house sitting for free then I don't think it can be classed as work if no money is changing hands? I'm not sure, just my initial thought. We've never paid our house sitters, nor expected any payment from them. I know some house sitters charge for their services so perhaps in that situation it would be viewed as work...
Old Sep 1st 2019, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
​​​​​​
If you're house sitting for free then I don't think it can be classed as work if no money is changing hands? I'm not sure, just my initial thought. We've never paid our house sitters, nor expected any payment from them. I know some house sitters charge for their services so perhaps in that situation it would be viewed as work...
Nope. It isn't the act of money changing hands that defines work. Being a volunteer isn't paid work, however it isn't allowed on a visitor visa.
It is any service or act that gives rise to a value for the person doing it or the person receiving it.
Covers a multitude of sins and is why work isn't specifically explained in INZ's processes or Ops Manual so they have a catch all rule. No work means absolutely no work in any way shape or form.
Old Sep 1st 2019, 6:02 am
`

However, I have emailed the company you referred me to for their view on house-sitting in New Zealand as they may know something I don't!
Good idea. Come back to us please with what the company states are the requirements. Best from a horses mouth or one horse mouth perhaps & it might give a definitive answer as to what visa is uplifted to allow for house sitting and other types of non-wage exchanges.

Originally Posted by House Sitting Company
Becoming a trusted house sitter with The Housesitting Company is the perfect way to explore everything New Zealand has to offer — all whilst saving on expensive accommodation costs.Whether you are a New Zealand resident, an overseas tourist, or a born and bred Kiwi, housesitting with The Housesitting Company is a fantastic option. Ensuring home-owners’ pets and properties are in safe hands is our number one concern, so we have a few requirements for you to meet before you can become a Kiwi house sitter.
Originally Posted by wwoof
What visa do you need to wwoof in New Zealand

Before we start with your rights as a WWOOFer, let’s quickly cover if you have the right to work for accommodation in New Zealand. To be able to work for accommodation or even volunteer and be provided with lodging, you have to have a valid work visa. It can be a working holiday visa or another type of work visa.

Visitor Visas

Since accommodation is considered as a reward for work, under New Zealand laws you cannot work for accommodation in New Zealand if you are on a visitor visa. If you do so, you and your employers can be faced with charges. Be aware, inspections have been much more regular in recent years.
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Just popped by to see if anything has changed for Parent Category.
Looks like nothing happening.
Just a crimp in the 6 in 6 out which was the alternative.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
It does.

I am hoping Justcol will update the relevant thread.
Sorry I mentioned it, this isn't about me
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 11:50 pm
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
Sorry I mentioned it, this isn't about me
Aw mate. It's fine. It is sorta similar really

Just update the France thread if poss. with what you found out as I am interested in this for France.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

MumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud of

Just a quick update.

BEVS I had a look at the website you suggested (The Housesitting Company NZ) in your post here on 31st August. I sent them the following email . . .

I would like clarification on a point of New Zealand Immigration laws . . . I can't find the correct visa that will allow me entry to New Zealand to ligitimately do some house-sitting! Isn't house-sitting considered "work" and therefore not allowed on a Visitor Visa? And a "working holiday" visa has an age limit of 35 and I am well over that! I would love to house-sit/pet-sit in New Zealand but fear I am too old. Before I sign up to be a house-sitter I need to know whether it is legally possible for me to do so in New Zealand. Thanks in advance.

I received the following reply . . .

Thanks for your email.

Housesitters are not paid so you dont require a working visa to be able to housesit in New Zealand.

You will find a few answers to your questions here - https://www.housesitters.co.nz/faq

I hope you find that helpful.

regards

Now I am totally confused!!!
Old Sep 5th 2019, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

That's all pretty straightforward. You don't get paid. Your payment is being able to live free of charge in someone's house. There is no financial transaction involving the sitter. The costs mentioned on the website are the home owners payments to the company for arranging the house sitter, not a payment to the sitter. It's no different to a family from another country doing a house swap holiday with a New Zealand based family, they come and live for free in NZ, so would you. You can still do house sitting on a normal visitors visa but you will still be bound by the time restrictions of that visa

Last edited by Justcol; Sep 5th 2019 at 9:21 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 9:34 pm
`

Now I am totally confused!!!
They are stating that you are simply being in the house. You are not working for your bed.

Most house-sitting sites will state the same & I am sure most abide by the rules and the regs in what they do as that is their business. I think you should be fine with this.

Old Sep 5th 2019, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

MumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud of

Thanks BEVS
Old Sep 5th 2019, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Justcol
Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:43 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly can't see house sitting as a problem. It's advertised all over the world to tourists and heaps of tourists do it in NZ (I'm pretty sure they won't have work Visas)...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.