Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The way forward for grandparent?

The way forward for grandparent?

Old Aug 27th 2019, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

MumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud of
Default The way forward for grandparent?

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone has any ideas of what I should do now!

I have twin boys born in Auckland 36 years ago. After completing their education in the UK they both (independently) decided to move back to the country of their birth. In the last two years they have each increased their family by one, and I now have two adorable grandsons. They are my only family.

I submitted my EOI in 2015 but was not one of "the chosen few" before the Parent Visa Category was closed. Both my parents are deceased and I have no ties to anyone in the UK. I am desperate to see my sons and their families especially my grandkids but the journey from UK to NZ is long, tedious and expensive, and the time allowed to stay in NZ on a tourist visa is restrictive! I have considered buying a small house in NZ to use as a base whenever I visit but that brings its own headaches . . . tax implications, what to do with the house when I'm in UK, etc. I have looked at short-term rentals (up to 6 months) but finding suitable furnished accommodation is proving difficult. The same applies to properties on Airbnb, HomeAway, HomeToGo and TradeMe. I would eventually like to move to NZ to be nearer my family despite losing any Annual Pensions Increase on my UK pension, but at the moment I feel I'm in limbo, not knowing if or when I will be allowed to move . . . and I'm not getting any younger . . . in a couple of years I will reach my "three score and ten" . . . and who knows how many (or few!) years I have left on this mortal coil?!?!

Oh, what to do? The silence emanating from the NZ Government regarding the future of the Parent Visa Category is deafening! FaceTime and Skype are the only things keeping me sane . . . but I long to pick up my grandsons and give them kisses and cuddles from grandma!

Has anyone got any advice, suggestions . . . or experience of being in the same desperate situation? Anyone else with an aching heart?

Sorry if I've ranted a bit, and thanks for reading this.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The way forward for grandparent?

Hey MumofKiwis,
Not being nosy but seems these questions haven't been asked before.
What was your visa status at the time your children were born in NZ ? What was their fathers visa status ? Why were you here in NZ....a little more background would be beneficial.
Are your children NZ citizens by birth ?
Just clutching at straws but you may have permanent status in NZ or have the right to re-establish or establish permanent status and not know it so you may not even need to go down the Parent Category route.
Things were different back then when your children were born - 1983 ish. You could get NZ PR buying a daily newspaper in the local dairy back then (slight over exaggeration).
All the best.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 8:47 am
Just Joined

MumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud ofMumofKiwis has much to be proud of

Hi escapedtonz,

Thanks for your questions . . . and you're right, they haven't been asked before!

Back in 1983, my husband worked in admin for a UK engineering firm which had won the contract to build a steel mill near Waiuku. Both he and I were UK citizens so presumably his visa allowed him to work in NZ. I have just checked my old passport (yes, I still have it!) and I have several stamps . . . NZ High Commission (London), NZ Immigration (Auckland), Dept of Labour (Manukau) . . . all state Temporary Entry (Visitor Permit). We arrived in NZ when I was 6 months pregnant with the twins so when the boys were born they automatically had dual citizenship. I must admit I left all the official stuff to my husband . . . I had my hands full looking after my two little kiwis! We were only in NZ for 18 months returning to the UK when the mill was completed.

Unfortunately automatic citizenship doesn't run from children to parents!!!

Old Aug 28th 2019, 9:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

And presumably no access to Australian citizenship for yourself?
Old Aug 28th 2019, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Hi BritInParis,

Unfortunately not . . . too old!!! Also, as both my children live in New Zealand and not Australia, it's really a non-starter.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 11:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I am by no means an expert on Kiwi immigration but I’m afraid it appears that visiting for up to six months at a time is your only option for the time being.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 2:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MumofKiwis
Hi BritInParis,

Unfortunately not . . . too old!!! Also, as both my children live in New Zealand and not Australia, it's really a non-starter.
Had you been an Australian citizen, that would have given you the right to live in NZ
Old Aug 29th 2019, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi escapedtonz,

Thanks for your questions . . . and you're right, they haven't been asked before!

Back in 1983, my husband worked in admin for a UK engineering firm which had won the contract to build a steel mill near Waiuku. Both he and I were UK citizens so presumably his visa allowed him to work in NZ. I have just checked my old passport (yes, I still have it!) and I have several stamps . . . NZ High Commission (London), NZ Immigration (Auckland), Dept of Labour (Manukau) . . . all state Temporary Entry (Visitor Permit). We arrived in NZ when I was 6 months pregnant with the twins so when the boys were born they automatically had dual citizenship. I must admit I left all the official stuff to my husband . . . I had my hands full looking after my two little kiwis! We were only in NZ for 18 months returning to the UK when the mill was completed.

Hi,
Ah yes Glenbrook Steel Mill. One of my highest electricity usage customers in NZ

Ok......

1. Either, your children aren't NZ citizens, OR
2. You and/or your husband were and maybe still are of Permanent staus in NZ.

I'll try to explain.....

When a child is born in NZ to people on a temporary visa, those children (just like their parents) don't have any right to Residency, Permanent Residency or citizenship in NZ. Just because a child is born here, it does not give automatic citizenship.
If either parent has Residency, Permanent Residency or citizenship in NZ at the time of the births then both children become NZ citizens by birth through parental visa status.

So, as above your children can't be automatic NZ citizens just because they were born here UNLESS a parent had sufficient permanent visa status that allows them to be citizens at the time of birth.

Do your children have a citizenship certificate or birth certificate stating they are NZ citizens ?
Do they have NZ passports ?

I'm assuming they do as you mentioned they are living here in NZ and have had children of their own - your grand children..............

So, if that is the case and they are NZ citizens, then either you, your husband or both MUST have held Resident Visa, Permanent Residency Visa or be NZ citizens as if you are definitely not then they can't be.

I feel it is worth sitting down with an Immigration officer to establish what your current NZ status is and then take it from there. Immigration may have an easy process to transition from the visa you had years ago to a modern type that will allow you to live here with your children/grand children and as such bypass the Parent Category horror you are in. You won't know unless you try.

Last edited by escapedtonz; Aug 29th 2019 at 3:22 am. Reason: Added to it.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 4:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Hi,

1. Either, your children aren't NZ citizens, OR
2. You and/or your husband were and maybe still are of Permanent staus in NZ.
If I may.

MumofKiwis twins automatically became NZ citizens when they were born on NZ soil in 1983. It mattered not what status the parents held. It mattered the child was not somehow stateless.

It was not until 2005 that The Citizenship Act of 1977 was amended with regard to this.

Citizenship by birth

You're a New Zealand citizen by birth if:
  • you were born in NZ before 1 January 2006.
If you were born in NZ on or after 1 January 2006:
  • you're only a citizen if at least 1 parent is an NZ citizen or have permanent residence status.
It doesn't does it and I am sorry that it does not. From what you write you were on specific temporary permits via a UK company awarded an NZ contract. You returned back to the UK at the end of the contract per the permits . As far as I am aware the status would have been temporary visitor with specific authority to work. Had you remained to overstay then it may have been you could have been granted an amnesty.

So very hard for you and for all the families left in limbo when the parent category was suspended and closed. Especially for you as there used to be a weighing when it came to reunification of families & yours would have weighed heavily in your favour. As you know there is still no news on the horizons as to when this category might be re-opened.

Still. There is no harm at all in making an enquiry with regard to your historical NZ entry and see if alongside the fact your kids are NZ citizens there could be some sort of chink somewhere. In the old fashioned terminology , an amnesty somehow. However I would caution getting the hopes up in that.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 4:45 am
`

Has anyone got any advice, suggestions . . . or experience of being in the same desperate situation? Anyone else with an aching heart?

Sorry if I've ranted a bit, and thanks for reading this.
I think I am going to move this into the main NZ forum for you. Those also waiting on the wretched parent category might pop by and see this.

What area of NZ do they live - and I am not asking for personal details at all - a general guide perhaps. Do your lads not know anyone that could rent out a granny annexe to you for 6 months.
My feeling is that this would be about networking as such. Those of a certain vintage that know of somewhere via a bowls / golf club / group and the like if you get what I mean.

Old Aug 29th 2019, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Thank you ALL so-o-o much for your kind comments and advice.

Yes, my boys have NZ citizen birth certificates and NZ passports. Back in 1983 citizenship rules were fairly relaxed . . . as BEVS says, children born in NZ automatically had NZ citizenship regardless of the nationality or visa status of the parents. However, I will make enquiries into my historical entry to NZ . . . a slim chance is better than none!

I have one son living in Wellington, not best known for a plethora of short-term rentals! And my other son lives in Rotorua. Both areas of incredible interest and diversity . . . I admit I never get bored when I visit! However, with my grandsons aged 11 months and 21 months, my sons don't have much time for bowling or golf!!! But I'll ask them anyway as they may know someone who does!

Yeah, escapedtonz . . . Glenbrook Steel Mill . . . I haven't heard those words in a long time!!! And nearby Waiuku was a great little place to be introduced to the delights of NZ!

Thank you all once again,
Old Aug 29th 2019, 8:31 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mum of Kiwis!

If you can't get in any other way at the moment, have you considered house sitting in NZ? And then after your 6 month tourist visa is up pop across to Oz for a holiday and then you will come back into NZ with another 6 months. It's not a long term solution, however it could get you out there with a place to stay at least for the time-being.

There's heaps of house sit websites out there. We have used Kiwi House Sitters with good success.

I hope it all works out for you!
Old Aug 29th 2019, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pom_Chch,

I'd forgotten about house-sitting! I researched a couple of companies about two years ago but was put off by the length of time it would take to build up a good reputation/record of sittings, thinking the competition between sitters for available houses would probably be intense. But I suppose you have to start somewhere! Last year I did house-sit for a work colleague of my son, looking after a cat for two weeks, and that worked out well. And it was in the right locality for visiting my grandson! I will definitely look into that again . . . thanks for the reminder!
Old Aug 29th 2019, 10:39 pm
`

I have one son living in Wellington, not best known for a plethora of short-term rentals! And my other son lives in Rotorua. Both areas of incredible interest and diversity . . . I admit I never get bored when I visit! However, with my grandsons aged 11 months and 21 months, my sons don't have much time for bowling or golf!!! But I'll ask them anyway as they may know someone who does!
Not them MumofKiwis. I more meant them asking around at these places. They may have some pals with parents in the know.

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi Mum of Kiwis!

If you can't get in any other way at the moment, have you considered house sitting in NZ?

Brilliant suggestion.

Old Aug 29th 2019, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Hey BEVS,

Yes, definitely a brilliant suggestion!

Thanks,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.