British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Watties soups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/watties-soups-313806/)

Sue Jul 16th 2005 5:04 am

Re: Watties soups

Uncalled for. As Caroline has already made clear, we welcome all.

Sue

Originally Posted by Debs70
Exactly what I have said Cindy.. this is Brits talking about Brit food and what they miss so why the **** are you even contributing???? You bore me to tears and then some ... yawn.. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

sky Jul 16th 2005 11:11 am

Originally Posted by shepslady
Not all that funny really. Anything with beef or that comes from beef extract etc is examined very closely to stop the threat of diseases like mad cow reaching our shores. Yes even good old Bovril has on occassions not been allowed in. Cant see how it can spread anything myself but they are the rules that MAF goes by.

Biddy your list keeps growing so bythe time you get to move to NZ hopefully you & yours will all have learnt to give up eating & drinking so the food & drink in NZ wont be a problem for you:D

CJD is most definately here in NZ, having worked in a hospital cssd I know that for a fact!

Sadie33138 lol vegimite smells like vomit, how anyone can eat it is beyond me

Pinkie Pie Jul 16th 2005 11:52 am

Originally Posted by sky
CJD is most definately here in NZ, having worked in a hospital cssd I know that for a fact!

Sadie33138 lol vegimite smells like vomit, how anyone can eat it is beyond me

Cases of CJD in people living in NZ doesn't necessarily mean that BSE is in NZ does is it or does it - I don't know enough about it really??? I thought that CJD could be inherited/genetic and that it was variant CJD which was caused by eating beef infected by BSE which is why there are such tight controls on importing beef products (like our beloved gravy granules) into many countries :confused:

Kind of puts me off the thought of burgers for lunch though!!! :D

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/en.asp?T...48&LinkID=1151

sunshine_and_rain Jul 16th 2005 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Cases of CJD in people living in NZ doesn't necessarily mean that BSE is in NZ does is it or does it - I don't know enough about it really??? I thought that CJD could be inherited/genetic and that it was variant CJD which was caused by eating beef infected by BSE which is why there are such tight controls on importing beef products (like our beloved gravy granules) into many countries :confused:

OH DEAR, this thread is going well off que - come on guys - lets stay on trak??

Pinkie Pie Jul 16th 2005 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
OH DEAR, this thread is going well off que - come on guys - lets stay on trak??

AGREED....this thread has gone from soup to sausages to all sorts of other products and ended up on CJD/BSE....God help us if we ever tried cyber chinese whispers!!! :eek:

But at least we all know where to find some British products in NZ now...:D

sky Jul 16th 2005 12:51 pm

I don't know is my answer :confused: your far too intelligent for me just know the autoclaves had to be of a certain temp and time to kill the ****ers :D

sky Jul 16th 2005 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by sky
I don't know is my answer :confused: your far too intelligent for me just know the autoclaves had to be of a certain temp and time to kill the ****ers :D

Which they don't by the way :D

sky Jul 16th 2005 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by sky
Which they don't by the way :D

Unless all instruments are quarantined for six months and then if positive ... BURNT! hahaha not gonna happen is it no way!

Pinkie Pie Jul 16th 2005 1:07 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sky

Intelligent - moi - don't think so - I thought an autoclave was a musical note/instrument Sky!! Anyway getting back on topic...are you having soup for lunch...I am!!! And it's tomato too...yummm

sky Jul 16th 2005 1:13 pm

I have had the most delicious soups over here but they have all been homemade ... wouldn't touch the tinned cr*p they are full of sugar!

Pinkie Pie Jul 16th 2005 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by sky
I have had the most delicious soups over here but they have all been homemade ... wouldn't touch the tinned cr*p they are full of sugar!

Interesting to know seeings as middle dot is diabetic!!

I usually try to make my own soup (hangs head in shame at having bought soup for lunch today) but I'm so tired after my day yesterday that I just can't be pestered...it is very nice healthy soup though (which after my medicals should be the only thing I do eat!!!)

sky Jul 16th 2005 1:20 pm

Interesting to know seeings as middle dot is diabetic!!

I usually try to make my own soup (hangs head in shame at having bought soup for lunch today) but I'm so tired after my day yesterday that I just can't be pestered...it is very nice healthy soup though (which after my medicals should be the only thing I do eat!!!)

lol you are the only thing that has cheered me up today ... I love you pinkie pie x I make my own soup it is lovely but the restaurants in rangiora make the most divine soups. Sugar is in every processed food over here so beware it will take you by surprise cos the UK equivalents are very low in comparison

Pinkie Pie Jul 16th 2005 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by sky
lol you are the only thing that has cheered me up today ... I love you pinkie pie x I make my own soup it is lovely but the restaurants in rangiora make the most divine soups. Sugar is in every processed food over here so beware it will take you by surprise cos the UK equivalents are very low in comparison

If I've made you smile Sky then my work here is done and I shall bog off out to the garden for a bit!!! :D p.s. love you too...;)

I have heard about the sugar content Sky - is there any particular reason why they put so much in??

I try to use as little processed food as I can really but it's not always easy when you're a working mum of three but when we get to NZ I hope to be able to stay at home instead of working for a while (lazy trout) so should be able to use even less processed stuff as I'll have more time to make my own!!

Oh, and my dear OH has bought me a bread maker too as he's horrified at the cost of bread in NZ (he's a true yorkshire lad through and through!!!) and says I'd best learn how to use it quick smart...LOL...only kidding, he's itching to get his hands on it... what is it with men and machinery!!! :D

sky Jul 16th 2005 1:48 pm

We make our own bread when we're in the mood, mine was sh*te but the hubbys was lovely especially the wholemeal bread...very flavorsome!
Don't know why the kiwis like sweet food but everything you buy from the supermarket is super sweet and horrible.

I miss work big time, have no purpose now and am having trouble knowing what to do with myself. Also it is more accepted here for both to work.

scottish Jul 16th 2005 2:12 pm

My mate Shirley made the best bread in the world. A right little homemaker she is too.... you name it she makes it... the best soups in the world, bread, cakes, everything from scratch. I think NZ does that to you though. You tend to start making alot of stuff from scratch. My first few weeks going round the supermarkets were a bloody nightmare. I ended up cheating and getting takeout and throwing it on a plate before hubby got home from work. But within a few months I was into the Kiwi way, make it yourself!!!! I make a mean Chili from scratch ..........