Watties soups

Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:19 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all
Default Re: Watties soups

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Urgh! Not cold Shellie, that's disgusting. Piping hot with honey in or maple syrup, or just hot enough to eat with chopped banana in. Always reminds me of being a kid - Mum used to make so thick it didn't move in the bowl, dish it out and then shout us all up, by which time it was stone cold and had a thick skin on cos she used plain milk. Whoever got to clean the pan got the worst job - it was always crusted.
Oh My God!!!! :scared:
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:42 pm
Kiwi livin' and lovin' it

Location: Was England. Then Germany.Tried Spain. NZ now and NOT moving!
the turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Ermmm - you'd have to ask a kiwi?? OK, some of the things I like here:

Corned Beef - joints not the tinned stuff
Roll Ups (Pressed Fruit)
Burger Rings
Healthy Option Vegie Crisps (The Thai Flavour)
Watties Ketchup (I actually like it??)
All meat is good in general
Seafood - just FAB
My Edwards Cook Book - its great

Still miss me Ready Brek though - I LOVE it - hot and cold, plain and chocolate - can't even get a substitute here?? Praps we could start selling it here - and make a mint! As well as sausages
If you put porridge oats in the food processor before cooking wouldn't that be the same as Ready Brek? I'll have a look at the ingredients next time I see a packet!

Matt wants to know what the milk is like in NZ because here in Spain it's mostly UHT stuff and he HATES it. You can sometimes get fresh milk, but he doesn't like that either and says it tastes different (thinks maybe because the grass is 'strange' here)!

Andrea
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:45 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Ermmm - you'd have to ask a kiwi?? OK, some of the things I like here:

Corned Beef - joints not the tinned stuff
Roll Ups (Pressed Fruit)
Burger Rings
Healthy Option Vegie Crisps (The Thai Flavour)
Watties Ketchup (I actually like it??)
All meat is good in general
Seafood - just FAB
My Edwards Cook Book - its great

Still miss me Ready Brek though - I LOVE it - hot and cold, plain and chocolate - can't even get a substitute here?? Praps we could start selling it here - and make a mint! As well as sausages
Firstly might I ask exactly what is this Ready Brek you are all raving about??
Secondly I take it that was a typo error Shellie re the cook book were you referring to The Edmonds Cook Book?? IF so I agree it was one of the first things I packed when I moved away & for my first birthday away my sister sent me the new updated version. Also agree on the corned beef ( & corned silverside) I cooked some up over here the other day & it was rubbish compared to the stuff I used to cook at home.
Funny how we all get used to things though because the only so called real sausages I have been able to find over here are English or Irish bangers & I think they are awful. Miss my kiwi pork sausages something terrible but its just one of those things I will have to get used too or go without.
Am really curious about this brekky stuff though so hope you enlighten me soon
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:53 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shepslady
Firstly might I ask exactly what is this Ready Brek you are all raving about??
Secondly I take it that was a typo error Shellie re the cook book were you referring to The Edmonds Cook Book?? IF so I agree it was one of the first things I packed when I moved away & for my first birthday away my sister sent me the new updated version. Also agree on the corned beef ( & corned silverside) I cooked some up over here the other day & it was rubbish compared to the stuff I used to cook at home.
Funny how we all get used to things though because the only so called real sausages I have been able to find over here are English or Irish bangers & I think they are awful. Miss my kiwi pork sausages something terrible but its just one of those things I will have to get used too or go without.
Am really curious about this brekky stuff though so hope you enlighten me soon
Think you'll find it's British people talking about British products on a British Expat site Cindy why?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:56 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debs70
Think you'll find it's British people talking about British products on a British Expat site Cindy why?
And that is supposed to mean?????
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by shepslady
And that is supposed to mean?????
Exactly what I have said Cindy.. this is Brits talking about Brit food and what they miss so why the **** are you even contributing???? You bore me to tears and then some ... yawn..

Last edited by Debs70; Jul 15th 2005 at 11:14 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:14 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what I have said Cindy.. this is Brits talking about Brit food and what they miss so why the **** are you even contributing????
Evening All...I can't believe how big a thread about soup has grown!!!

To be fair Debs, Sunshine advised the turner family to ask a kiwi and at the last count Cindy is a kiwi and so is contributing as requested....fair enough methinks...

Oh and btw, whilst we are on the subject of UK products, please don't think that the lack of gravy granules is exclusive to NZ - my mate Carol emigrated to OZ a couple of weeks ago and she rang me the other day to give me an update on their progress...I asked her how the flight was and she said that she'd got talking to a couple of expats who'd just been home to the UK for a visit and she was asking them what they missed about home and they both said "Gravy Granules" which she found very confusing but I found quite hysterical....
Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Evening All...I can't believe how big a thread about soup has grown!!!

To be fair Debs, Sunshine advised the turner family to ask a kiwi and at the last count Cindy is a kiwi and so is contributing as requested....fair enough methinks...
Didn't see it.. sorry. Bye

Edit: How anyone can miss Kiwi Pork sausages is beyond a joke and thats why I insist on saying that this is a BRITISH forum to talk about BRITISH things... whether it be sausages (which in NZ are shite) or mountains (which in NZ are brilliant). By god, do we have to argue all the time Sheps? do you have to keep butting your Kiwi nose into everything we Brits have to say? guess you do huh?

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jul 16th 2005 at 12:23 am.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:04 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Edit: How anyone can miss Kiwi Pork sausages is beyond a joke and thats why I insist on saying that this is a BRITISH forum to talk about BRITISH things... whether it be sausages (which in NZ are shite) or mountains (which in NZ are brilliant). By god, do we have to argue all the time Sheps? do you have to keep butting your Kiwi nose into everything we Brits have to say? guess you do huh?
Debs you win I give up.
I am so tired of constantly being put down by you so I shall bow out of here leaving you to police this thread & forum cos Im sure it will be better for others than have them see all this nasty sniping you so love to do whenever I post.
Just hope you feel happy that you finally bashed me into submission.

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jul 16th 2005 at 12:23 am.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:07 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Debs, it may say British in the site's title but there are many people from all nationalities posting on this site - a lot of them are living somewhere other than their home country i.e. expats...

And the header for this NZ forum actually says :

With a climate similar to the UK, New Zealand is a popular destination for British Expats. Discuss living in New Zealand here.

So maybe we are at fault for discussing the UK when we should be discussing NZ - but then that would be ridiculous and I would be slated for splitting hairs if I were to suggest such a thing...see where I'm going with this Debs????

Cindy is a Kiwi and has lived in NZ for most of her life and therefore has a pretty good insight on NZ - but only her own personal experiences which not everyone will agree with but it would be wrong to say that she shouldn't post here - freedom of speech etc....and as I said before she wasn't butting in, someone suggested asking a Kiwi and Cindy replied - fair doos...
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:10 am
Banned

Debs, it may say British in the site's title but there are many people from all nationalities posting on this site - a lot of them are living somewhere other than their home country i.e. expats...

And the header for this NZ forum actually says :

With a climate similar to the UK, New Zealand is a popular destination for British Expats. Discuss living in New Zealand here.

So maybe we are at fault for discussing the UK when we should be discussing NZ - but then that would be ridiculous and I would be slated for splitting hairs if I were to suggest such a thing...see where I'm going with this Debs????

Cindy is a Kiwi and has lived in NZ for most of her life and therefore has a pretty good insight on NZ - but only her own personal experiences which not everyone will agree with but it would be wrong to say that she shouldn't post here - freedom of speech etc....and as I said before she wasn't butting in, someone suggested asking a Kiwi and Cindy replied - fair doos...
It's a British Expat Forum.. End of.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:18 am
Don't let me get me....

It's a British Expat Forum.. End of.
Well, based on that theory,that puts you, me and a lot of other members on here out of the picture then because
we are not Expats Debs (I'm not an Expat coz I haven't left yet and you're not an Expat coz you've been and come back)...

I'd best get me coat then...want me to get yours while I'm there....

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jul 16th 2005 at 12:40 am.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:24 am
Banned

Well, based on that theory,that puts you, me and a lot of other members on here out of the picture then because we are not Expats Debs (I'm not an Expat coz I haven't left yet and you're not an Expat coz you've been and come back)...

I'd best get me coat then...want me to get yours while I'm there....
Yeah best you had then Pinkie.. mines the suede blue jacket.. I'll see you when you come to your senses.

Have fun with the kiwi's.xx
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:30 am
Don't let me get me....

Yeah best you had then Pinkie.. mines the suede blue jacket.. I'll see you when you come to your senses.
Blue Suede!!!! and you think I've lost my senses!!!
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:59 am
Just Joined

sadie33138 will become famous soon enough

Well, I'm not British so this is probably not welcomed here. However, I am guessing that a lot of people who are not from the UK (like me) read the posts on this forum because they are interested in NZ and might be interested in finding out anything they can.

Anyhoo, I moved to Auckland from the US last year and yes there is Campbell's soup, I buy it at Foodtown. Watties is way too high in sugar & salt content if you are being careful of that kind of thing, which I am because of high BP. I don't care for the sausages too much here either, best I have had is the chorizo,most of it has the density of a hotdog, which aren't here btw. Have to keep a watch out for baby back ribs too as they are few and far between so when they show up, I buy em up & put in the freezer. Same deal for beef ribs. Not much turkey though and I used ground turkey as a replacement meat for beef in the US, there is chicken but not the same taste.

Meats are plentiful (except turkey) just different names of cuts that I had never seen before. Lot of fish but it is IMO very pricey for an island country. Produce is pricey too. I was used to paying $1USD for a huge avocado in the US, here you get the little haas ones for $4.99NZD each. BTW Foodtown has a online home shopping site, you can google for it and see products & prices for yourself. Haven't found dried black beans yet, closest was black soy beans at an asian market which is where I also found dried baby limas. My daughter sent me some from the US but MAF confiscated them, wanted to charge me $35 to treat a $1 package of dried beans, lol. Have found El Paso tortillas, salsa, refried beans, chili mix, etc so we can have chicken quesadillas, burritos, tacos,chili, etc. Also, have noticed that the color of cheese is different. Our sharp cheddar (US) would be the Tasty here, no extra sharp. Several type of Philadelphia cream cheese here, my favorite is the salmon.

Also no light wine but have found several light beers. I really like that they put the percentage of alcohol content on the bottle. The chips are pretty cool, weird taste combos but good. Never seen so many types of sauces, curries, etc. in my life. Lots of asian and indian spices too. A lot of things that I didn't think were here at first, I later found just packaged differently and sometimes with a different brand name.

One of the best things here for me is the coffee in the cafes. It is (I think) one of the favorite pasttimes, socializing or people watching while having a coffee. Flat white and cappuchino are my favorites. There is a cafe on Level one at the downtown mall where the guy makes the best cappuchino I've ever had, it is also pretty as he adds a leaf drawn in chocolate syrup on the top. Yum. All in all, the food here is an adventure. BTW I tried vegemite, OMG, only time I ever considered washing my mouth out with soap myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.