British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Watties soups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/watties-soups-313806/)

Rascal Jul 13th 2005 11:24 pm

Watties soups

Is there anyone out there like me, no matter how hard they try, cannot get to like the Watties soups.......they are vile! :eek:

Remember as a kid, playing out in the snow, your nose runs and it somehow ends up in your mouth?? Yuk..I know.......but..........

Try eating a tin of Watties Tomato soup and it'll bring you right back to those childhood days you hoped you'd forgot about.... :eek:

Truly bl**dy disgusting!

Sega Mad Jul 14th 2005 12:18 am

Re: Watties soups

Originally Posted by Rascal
Is there anyone out there like me, no matter how hard they try, cannot get to like the Watties soups.......they are vile! :eek:

Remember as a kid, playing out in the snow, your nose runs and it somehow ends up in your mouth?? Yuk..I know.......but..........

Try eating a tin of Watties Tomato soup and it'll bring you right back to those childhood days you hoped you'd forgot about.... :eek:

Truly bl**dy disgusting!

You could always stop buying it :D

Or are you a masochist?

Rascal Jul 14th 2005 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
You could always stop buying it :D

Or are you a masochist?

I dont buy it for me....but one of my kids eats it, he thinks its ok....mind you, we do worry about him at times..... :D :D

YUK......its beyond any normal persons taste buds is that stuff! :mad:

Franklin Jul 14th 2005 1:34 am

Truly bl**dy disgusting!

You could always reheat and serve it to pesky guests, the guests you don't want back. :D

xpat19 Jul 14th 2005 9:34 am

Try a few of the other makes - Watties will suddenly taste like the creme de la creme !

planty Jul 14th 2005 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by xpat19
Try a few of the other makes - Watties will suddenly taste like the creme de la creme !

Just in case your interested I did visit the Watties website and they are actually Heinz, and they also put on recipe idea's. Take a look, you may not be so scared to open that tin now.

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/site_map/home.asp

I'm a sad old git really :D

Gill and Rob Jul 15th 2005 12:50 am

Originally Posted by planty
Just in case your interested I did visit the Watties website and they are actually Heinz, and they also put on recipe idea's. Take a look, you may not be so scared to open that tin now.

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/site_map/home.asp

I'm a sad old git really :D

Watties are a New Zealand institution. They were bought out by Heinz, hence the use of the Heinz logo (used to attract expats to buy it I thinnk). The Watties brands are NOT the same as Heinz and have thier own distinct NZ flavour. Anyone in the UK who would like to try Watties products can buy them from the New Zealand Shop ( can't remember exactly what it is called) in London. This shop can be found around the corner when you go to London to lodge your visa/residency documents.

Robert

Franklin Jul 15th 2005 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Watties are a New Zealand institution. They were bought out by Heinz, hence the use of the Heinz logo (used to attract expats to buy it I thinnk). The Watties brands are NOT the same as Heinz and have thier own distinct NZ flavour. Anyone in the UK who would like to try Watties products can buy them from the New Zealand Shop ( can't remember exactly what it is called) in London. This shop can be found around the corner when you go to London to lodge your visa/residency documents.

Robert

Is it possible to get some cans of Watties outside NZ? I would like to try some. I guess Watties is to NZ what IrnBru is to Scotland, maybe. I know Londoners loved "rock salmon", I did when I was a Londoner ... up until I dissected one full of nematodes during a zoology practical ... I still remember the smell of that poor shark's innards, and I don't suppose it had access to a Watties supply of Immodium.

shepslady Jul 15th 2005 2:27 am

Truly bl**dy disgusting!

Each to his own huh? Simple answer is to learn to make homemade soup which is not only really easy, it tastes yummy & is also satisfying to know youve made it yourself. Other than that if you dont have the time for that why not order the english stuff online. Might be a bit expensive but would at least stop you remembering those nasty childhood memories:D
Watties isnt the only brands available in NZ so why not try some of the others. Heinz is available & not the one made by Watties. Doesnt seem to sell that well though because with Watties being a kiwi institution off brands dont seem to do that well:p

Rascal Jul 15th 2005 6:00 am

As Gill & Rob said.....Watties have been bought out by Heinz and I am sure anyone who has been brought up with the Heinz brand will know its far superior to anything any other brand can put out......and certainly better than anything I can make! Mind you, too busy making money to keep paying bills to be making anything else! ;)

I'll just stop eating soup!!

Rascal Jul 15th 2005 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Anyone in the UK who would like to try Watties products can buy them from the New Zealand Shop ( can't remember exactly what it is called) in London. This shop can be found around the corner when you go to London to lodge your visa/residency documents.

Robert

Enough to keep the migrant numbers down then?? ;) :D

SarahB Jul 15th 2005 7:11 am

I've got a tin of Watties soup in the cupboard....I havnt tried any yet. Not sure i want to open it now!! :D

SarahB Jul 15th 2005 7:29 am

...and talking of food. Our container arrives from the UK next week and MAFF are coming out to examine our Bisto Gravy Granules the next morning....we are not allowed to unpack it/touch it til they arrive.... I know its a serious issue but I cant help laughing over that....sorry. :D

Rascal Jul 15th 2005 8:00 am

I know its funny, they keep check on all us Brits, they know we want to bring our goodies in!!

I have a Uk mate coming next week.........his suitcase will be packed with Uk goodies...or else...he is on the next plane back!!

You wanna watch Border Control on TV.........the asians bring all kinds of things in .....its scary watching what they try get past customs!! :scared: :scared:

I have seen LIVE insects being brought in by one Chinese lady, on that programme......she claimed it was a cure for headaches!! :scared:

Haven't tried many other varieties of the Watties, the Tomato one was enough to put me off soup for life!! :eek:

sunshine_and_rain Jul 15th 2005 8:27 am

I know its funny, they keep check on all us Brits, they know we want to bring our goodies in!!

I have a Uk mate coming next week.........his suitcase will be packed with Uk goodies...or else...he is on the next plane back!!

You wanna watch Border Control on TV.........the asians bring all kinds of things in .....its scary watching what they try get past customs!! :scared: :scared:

I have seen LIVE insects being brought in by one Chinese lady, on that programme......she claimed it was a cure for headaches!! :scared:

Haven't tried many other varieties of the Watties, the Tomato one was enough to put me off soup for life!! :eek:

Must admit, Watties does not taste as good as Heinz, the cream of Tomato has a weird tast to it here - not sure what it is - Maybe I'm just used to Heinz - you think they'd use the same receipes if they've been taken over hey??

ALso - the other thing I have noticed is Cadbury's chocolate - taste very very different here. Still nice - I love chocolate - but it still tastes different??

And - now that I am on a roll - Sausage here are awful, I am yet to find a sausage that tastes anywhere near as a good as a cheap sausage from the UK?? I love the meat here and the seafood, but sausages - yeugh, just vile. I no longer eat them - still try a new ones when I see one at a butchers etc on my travels that I have not tried. the best ones so far are from Pokeno, on the way to AKL, but although they are 'not bad' they're not a patchon the ones from home?? Its weird hey - we obviously tune our tastebuds to what we are used to, and then anything different tastes odd?? :D