Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Watching the Cricket?

Watching the Cricket?

Old Jun 12th 2015, 11:25 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watching the Cricket?

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
Drat. When did the Poms learn how to play cricket?

#gonenative
Old Jun 21st 2015, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to say thank you to both countries for what has been an enjoyable series of one day matches.

It is a shame that there had to be a winner. Neither side deserved to lose. Both are a credit to the game of cricket

On another note

It seems the Black Cap fans that are also All Black die hards have got hold of Brendon McCullums twitter account. I cannot believe the amount of pathetic abuse he's had on there. I do think it may be better for him to come in and number 4 or 5 in the ODIs but who else is there to open? I like Guptil but if you bring in Latham, who do you drop? Taylor isn't an opener, Williamson and Anderson would be wasted, and I don't think Jesse Ryder will ever play again for the Black Caps.

Sad, McCullum does not deserve the abuse at all. He's a credit to the game!
Old Jun 21st 2015, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

A brilliant series to follow an enthralling test series.

I fully expect either team to chase down 225 or something ridiculous in Wednesday's T20.

This has been extremely entertaining.

I can't help but think the timing of NZ's tour to England was perfect timing for English cricket. Knowing they wouldn't be copping a gobful of abuse they could just all play good, hard cricket.

England knew that scoring 270-odd wouldn't be enough and had to go the whole hog and what do you know ... ? I was very pleased for Bairstow.

I really like Buttler and I look forward to these two keeping each other in their toes. Of course both can bat, keep and field so not necessary direct competitors for a spot.

Joe Root is class too. Cricket's own baby faced assassin. A great talent to overlap with the longevity of Cook.

It has be said that neither team played perfect Cricket, lots of loose shots (to be expected when flailing it to all parts) but some of the fielding was sub-standard one both sides.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

I feel it's a shame that it had to be decided on the Duckworth Lewis method. It was all set for a thrilling finish with the way Bairstow and Rashid were batting. Rashid in particular has been outstanding in this series.

I agree about the two sides in particular New Zealand. Media reports in the UK suggest they've won many fans over there for their sportsmanship and their approach to cricket.

I think Tommy wins it about England's approach. After a dreadful world cup and a very disappointing series in the West Indies, things had to change. They had to change their 250 approach to one day.

I think the Kiwis can come home with their heads held high and in particular can look forward to the series against the Aussies next year.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
Just want to say thank you to both countries for what has been an enjoyable series of one day matches.

It is a shame that there had to be a winner. Neither side deserved to lose. Both are a credit to the game of cricket

On another note

It seems the Black Cap fans that are also All Black die hards have got hold of Brendon McCullums twitter account. I cannot believe the amount of pathetic abuse he's had on there. I do think it may be better for him to come in and number 4 or 5 in the ODIs but who else is there to open? I like Guptil but if you bring in Latham, who do you drop? Taylor isn't an opener, Williamson and Anderson would be wasted, and I don't think Jesse Ryder will ever play again for the Black Caps.

Sad, McCullum does not deserve the abuse at all. He's a credit to the game!
I can't say I've heard/read about the twitter abuse for McCullum, but it world be pathetic. I wasn't one of his biggest fans, and certainly the way his initial appointment came about with Ross Taylor being sacked was very badly handled, but it proved a great decision in the long run. Vastly improved team performances, and a great world cup. Only one bad match in the entire tournament following a super unbeaten run.

They've been unlucky in England, had the test series been best of 3 they'd have been favourites to take the decider. The first was lost mainly because the top players came straight out of the IPL with no preparation.

Nevertheless great to see England perform in the ODIs, a breadth of fresh air after the truly awful world cup when we failed to beat any of the test teams.
Seems the binned 'the data'.
Having some fresh faces helped, even if the didn't all contribute. Rashid showed what a ridiculous decision it was to not play him in the WI series, hope he gets a chance in the Ashes.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
I think the Kiwis can come home with their heads held high and in particular can look forward to the series against the Aussies next year.
I do hope there is a Test Match in Auckland or Hamilton against the Aussies.

Preferably the latter as I don't really enjoy watching Cricket at Eden Park.

Having said that, I've always had watching a full Test match at the venue on my bucket list. I'd always assumed this would be an England test match, but NZ v. Aus is a very viable alternative (if Auckland) given how strong NZ have been at home of late against a perennially decent Aussie outfit, let alone the rivalry of it.

I think England are due out here in 2018. Not sure if the future tours program is due to or can be changed?

Would love to see England back out here sooner, it'd be 5 years between drinks if it is in 2018.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I do hope there is a Test Match in Auckland or Hamilton against the Aussies.

Preferably the latter as I don't really enjoy watching Cricket at Eden Park.

Having said that, I've always had watching a full Test match at the venue on my bucket list. I'd always assumed this would be an England test match, but NZ v. Aus is a very viable alternative (if Auckland) given how strong NZ have been at home of late against a perennially decent Aussie outfit, let alone the rivalry of it.

I think England are due out here in 2018. Not sure if the future tours program is due to or can be changed?

Would love to see England back out here sooner, it'd be 5 years between drinks if it is in 2018.

There should be an announcement on that soon. I think there's going to be 3 tests and 3 ODIs in the month of February. Pakistan are coming in January for three tests (rumoured to be played at Wellington Cricket Ground, Christchurch and Hamilton) and then the Australia tests are rumoured to be at Eden Park Auckland, Westpac Stadium Wellington, and the University Bowl in Dunedin. I may travel down to the Dunedin one if that is the case, enjoyed the trip when England were there in 2013 and Dunedin is well worth a visit!

There's also Zimbabwe coming in March and then it's the T20 World Cup in India late March/April time next year.

If you fancy heading over the tasman, they have a test series against Australia throughout November and early December. Unfortunately they finish early as the Boxing Day test for the Aussies this year is Sri Lanka.

Last edited by Tom H; Jun 25th 2015 at 2:58 am.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

There should be an announcement on that soon. I think there's going to be 3 tests and 3 ODIs in the month of February. Pakistan are coming in January for three tests (rumoured to be played at Wellington Cricket Ground, Christchurch and Hamilton) and then the Australia tests are rumoured to be at Eden Park Auckland, Westpac Stadium Wellington, and the University Bowl in Dunedin. I may travel down to the Dunedin one if that is the case, enjoyed the trip when England were there in 2013 and Dunedin is well worth a visit!

There's also Zimbabwe coming in March and then it's the T20 World Cup in India late March/April time next year.

If you fancy heading over the tasman, they have a test series against Australia throughout November and early December. Unfortunately they finish early as the Boxing Day test for the Aussies this year is Sri Lanka.
I'd heard that would be only two Tests for NZ at home against the Aussie, with them bargaining away one for some ODIs.

Hope they don't play the tests at the Westpac or Eden Park, they're fine for ODIs but tests are better played at proper cricket grounds. Hamilton though also small, is a lovely ground and there's always Basin Reserve in Wellington, where Hadlee got his 300th wicket, McCullum his 300 last year against India, and also where Martin Crowe got his 299 - some history there.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
I'd heard that would be only two Tests for NZ at home against the Aussie, with them bargaining away one for some ODIs.
I heard this too, but I couldn't find a reference to it yesterday so thought I might be making it up
Old Jul 11th 2015, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Well a rather impressive start to the test series. Giving the Aussies a lesson in test cricket.

Joe Root, what an outstanding player.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 2:41 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Australia looked like they where outclassed in that one to me .
Old Jul 12th 2015, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Glenn McGrath gets it wrong again saying it would be 10-nil, he said 5-nil back in 2005 and we know what happened then! Come on England!!
Old Jul 12th 2015, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael Clarke accepted that they were on the end of a hiding. Even Darren Lehmann admitted they were outclassed and were not expecting that sort of performance from England. I don't think they were the only ones that thought that. I too expected an Australian whitewash after the dreadful world cup and series in West Indies.

I was disappointed to see Rashid not play (being a Yorkshire supporter) but was delighted to see Ali play well. I hope we nurture him well as there is a talented all rounder there. He's very good with the bat and showed in the series he can bowl. Stuart Broad shocked me most as he bowled beautifully. He's such a frustrating bowler is Broad, on his day he can be fantastic - off day, he can get smacked everywhere.

There does seem a new method of play since the Australian came in to take charge of us. We look like we just want to attack now under the coach. We don't seem to have the mindset of dot, dot, dot, single, dot, dot - in both tests and one dayers. Hopefully we continue this mindset as it puts you in far better situations to win games.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stuart Broad shocked me most as he bowled beautifully. He's such a frustrating bowler is Broad ...
I was there at Trent Bridge for his hat-trick against India in 2011 - magic - but I wholeheartedly agree with your statement.

However he's got nearly 300 wickets to his name these days and I do wonder if (and why, on reflection) he was put up to bowling all that short stuff by Flower and his team.

When Broad bowls properly he's very good indeed. They couldn't get him off the square at the start of the 2nd inns.

It's a big call, but over the next 4-5 years, fitness permitting, I'd like to see him become a McGrath type metronomic bowler while the likes of Wood, Finn and the Overton twins try and knock people blocks off. Add Rashid and Anderson (who isn't finished yet either) in to the mix and we have a very good bowling unit for the next 5 years or so in many conditions. Although the subcontinent will continue to be a problem ...

There does seem a new method of play since the Australian came in to take charge of us. We look like we just want to attack now under the coach. We don't seem to have the mindset of dot, dot, dot, single, dot, dot - in both tests and one dayers. Hopefully we continue this mindset as it puts you in far better situations to win games.
When you get a moment and if you haven't done so already have a listen to the post test round up of the Test Match Special podcast.

Aggers interviewed Cook who was talking about changing the mindset away from being "gritty" to "showcasing your talent".

Two very different mindsets about going about getting a result. Cook accepted that the latter although not bullet proof by any means will mean that you are much more likely to blow teams away, playing without fear of failure basically. Being given a license to have a go.

Root was the epitome of that in this Test. Dropped for 0 and not only good enough to score a ton but to capitailse with such crucial timing.

It's exciting times to be en England cricket fan and I'm pleased that they appear to drawing from what other teams have been doing and are having success in more than one format of the game with the application of these new ideas.

Cook,often derided for his captaincy was simply brilliant in this Test, which again raises questions about the level of influence the coaching team has over the on-field captaincy decisions ...
Old Jul 20th 2015, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Cook, often derided for his captaincy was simply brilliant in this Test, which again raises questions about the level of influence the coaching team has over the on-field captaincy decisions ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.