Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Originally Posted by terrier2
Hey, dont worry about getting a mortgage over here at 47, I am a lot older than that and I got one. I was talking with my bank the other day and they said that they are happy to give a 60 year old an interest only mortgage on a 30yr term! Now how crazy is that?
Hey...which bank is that?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:45 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
Hey...which bank is that?
One of the managers at my work got one recently. She is in her mid 50s.

I suppose the logic is that if the house sells they will get their money back. Who knows.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly that, they could not care less, as they will get their money back in the end, no matter what happens.

I was surprised we were offered a thirty year mortgage at our age - actually any of the banks, ASB, Westpac etc were all willing to lend to us.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We are with Genesis... better off in NZ.

Gill and Rob
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:30 am
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Got another example of being better of in NZ

Retired couple from the UK moved to NZ to be closer to their family.

Had they stayed in the UK they would have been living on a modest pension mortgage free in a small 2 bedroom semi in a city and not able to afford to run a car.

Here they are in New Zealand still living mortgage free in a 6 bedroom house with a couple of acres of land in the country and two cars on NZ super.

So I think they are better off dont you?

Having this discussion tonight we did some maths and worked out that if we did return to the UK (assuming our airfares and shipping costs paid for) there is no way we would be better off.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmaxdeux
Got another example of being better of in NZ

Retired couple from the UK moved to NZ to be closer to their family.

Had they stayed in the UK they would have been living on a modest pension mortgage free in a small 2 bedroom semi in a city and not able to afford to run a car.

Here they are in New Zealand still living mortgage free in a 6 bedroom house with a couple of acres of land in the country and two cars on NZ super.

So I think they are better off dont you?

Having this discussion tonight we did some maths and worked out that if we did return to the UK (assuming our airfares and shipping costs paid for) there is no way we would be better off.
If I stupidly decided to return my family to the UK what would I get for 240,000 GBP? Not what I have here in the quiet leafy cul de sac that is home. A detached house in one quarter of an acre, pool, 300 odd square metres etc? I think not. Perchance an anonymous 2-3 bed terrace in a packed street in a packed town in a packed country. Over and above the accomodation issue life IS easy here. In the UK in most places you are battling crowds, the roads are full and its wall to wall stress and tumult. Life in rural Palmerston North for us verges on Nirvana. Endless things to do, the beach on our door step and virtually no stress..until you want someone to come and fix something...thats when the stress starts!!!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't class us as being poor but we are definitely worse off than we were in the UK. We had a relatively small mortgage in the UK which would have been paid off in 2012 & plenty of money left over at the end of each month. Now we have a mortgage which is more than double that which we had in the UK & will be paid off in 22 years & OH earns approx 1/4 less here. Our situation isn't helped by my having given up work since last April but we are managing. Obviously the situation will improve once I'm working again.

Our financial situation does cause me concern sometimes but I'm one of life's worriers anyhow.

I would still rather live in NZ than the UK though.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Oct 16th 2009 at 9:03 pm. Reason: Grammar!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
If I stupidly decided to return my family to the UK what would I get for 240,000 GBP? Not what I have here in the quiet leafy cul de sac that is home. A detached house in one quarter of an acre, pool, 300 odd square metres etc? I think not. Perchance an anonymous 2-3 bed terrace in a packed street in a packed town in a packed country. Over and above the accomodation issue life IS easy here. In the UK in most places you are battling crowds, the roads are full and its wall to wall stress and tumult. Life in rural Palmerston North for us verges on Nirvana. Endless things to do, the beach on our door step and virtually no stress..until you want someone to come and fix something...thats when the stress starts!!!
240,000.....that's a bedsit in some parts of London!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
240,000.....that's a bedsit in some parts of London!
Its an entire street in some parts of Manchester!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

For that amount of money in Licnolnshire which is not so populated you would buy a 4 bed detached house with an acre of land, the countryside, clear roads, less stress, heaven! An asda or Morrisons or Tesco a little bit away but chepaer meals, cheaper clothing lots of disposable income, near the beach about 30 mins away. The only stress you would have is a sunday driver lol
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:40 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Plus it wouldn't be the "suicide capital of the world" and chock full of students.........
Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to live in Lincolnshire I think I'd add one to the statistics eventually. I spent a week there once in winter, teaching at the RAF college. I think the moon would have a warmer climate, more interesting geography and better pubs.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
For that amount of money in Licnolnshire which is not so populated you would buy a 4 bed detached house with an acre of land, the countryside, clear roads, less stress, heaven! An asda or Morrisons or Tesco a little bit away but chepaer meals, cheaper clothing lots of disposable income, near the beach about 30 mins away. The only stress you would have is a sunday driver lol
Not sure Lincolnshire has the same allure as the Manawatu and the general locale. Point is I would still be living in a very over populated country. Tail backs do not exist in my life in NZ. Which is nice. Plus I have a mountain to ski down (if I ever get the time) 2 hours away by car. Door to ski lift.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:02 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure Lincolnshire has the same allure as the Manawatu and the general locale. Point is I would still be living in a very over populated country. Tail backs do not exist in my life in NZ. Which is nice. Plus I have a mountain to ski down (if I ever get the time) 2 hours away by car. Door to ski lift.
Yay...nice it is
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:23 pm
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Haha spot on and lets see if anyone can beat that

So your not really poor that you can afford to go sking then either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.