Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

BTW Budawang the Hop goods restaurant you dined at here in Nelson is owned by a Brit, he has made himself very successful in this town, I can' t tell you if his success is down to being British or not but he came out here about 4 years ago and dug his heels in; provided a point of difference and now he has gained himself a prized reputation.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I love NZ, and have a good life here and overall it's very rare to hear me seriously complain about anything in this country. But I've just had to go back to work full time, I'd managed to work part time from my first maternity leave....and that was well nigh 18 years ago now, but in order to have the extras to be able to enjoy life & do nice things rather than simply make ends meet going back to full time work was a necessity rather than a choice.

I love the NZ countryside, the free beaches, mountains & walks, and of course there are heaps of touristy things to do in Rotorua that are free (or heavily discounted) for locals, which is great, but I'm also a little unhappy about the amount of annual leave...4 weeks as a standard, I'm forced to take some of that over the Christmas-New Year period, and my Mum's coming over in February, so 1 week off at Christmas, 2 weeks with my Mum in Feb....leaves me a scant week to visit elsewhere in NZ or Oz. To think that I used to have 6 weeks in the UK & could jet off to Europe at the drop of a hat.

And don't get me started on NZ Police pay & conditions....WHAT do you mean, no overtime. Hubby is employed by them, and this past week he's been working on a murder, a suicide & several rapes.....the hours he's put in are inhuman, seriously, the man does need to sleep occasionally you know....and he hasn't earned a cent in overtime...'tis all for the love of the job don't you know . After working several (I forget how many, but a fair few) extra hours he can eventually start to accumulate time of in lieu, but only an hour back for an hour worked. It's really not good .

But we were lucky enough to have some capital from an English house sale, enough to make mortgage repayments manageable, so we're definitely in the camp of the lucky ones, and we do love the lifestyle & the wide open spaces, the bush & the beaches, and of course our friends both ex-pat & kiwi, so we're definitely in the not going back any time soon brigade.

Still I'd suggest that those dreaming of a life in NZ, it's great over here, it really, truly is, but it ain't cheap, pay & conditions are dreadful, and the average salary gets eaten up pretty darned fast simply by ordinary, everyday living expenses . Do your sums first and come over with realistic expectations.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Very thought provoking thread. I find it really fascinating to hear all the personal experiences.

It sure should be a reality check to people thinking of moving over. The cost of living calculator (think there is a link somewhere) has been an excellent indicator for me of how much money hubby and I will need to earn. I put in all my details and compared it to some friends who are living in Welly and it was spot on in terms of costings etc. It has really made us realise high living costs and how much we need to take with us from the UK to soften the blow.

We have thought long and hard about moving, and even as two well qualified professionals we are apprehensive about our financial prospects. We have realised that our standard of living (quality of housing, quality of car, ability to travel frequently, financial earning power etc) will decrease but we are sure our quality of life (commute, better access to beaches/parks etc, less people, more community activity, sports, lifestyle) will increase.

I am a returning kiwi so my view is obviously skewed about moving back to my homecountry, but if I reversed the situation and was thinking about moving to a country where I would be struggling financially (obviously that is a different level for different people) and where I would have little family support I would have to say the benefits would have to be HUGE to make the move worthwhile.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by janek
BTW Budawang the Hop goods restaurant you dined at here in Nelson is owned by a Brit, he has made himself very successful in this town, I can' t tell you if his success is down to being British or not but he came out here about 4 years ago and dug his heels in; provided a point of difference and now he has gained himself a prized reputation.
Really. We have never heard of him. I asked a few couples e met with this evening & they didn't know either. Maybe we can't afford How did he emigrate and by that I mean which visa policy did he use to arrive here and on top of that, I would be interested to know what funds he had at his disposal to do this?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:50 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm Am not in the right frame of mind to read this thread tonight but will do tomorrow or soon!!

Food for thought!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Wink Re: This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Hope we can survive when we finally get there - after reading all of the posts above!! We will be two pensioners from the UK - retiring to New Zealand to be with our children and grandchildren.

We will be able to buy a house outright as we have finished our 25 year morgage. Phew - but we feel that we are just 'existing' in the UK waiting for the months to tick by as we wait for our Parent Visas to be processed. To us this is just not 'living' for us in the true sense of the word, we are a very close family and we will try with all our might when we get there - to live and eat well!! (I can see a veggie plot looming in the garden)!! Hotpot in the oven, home baking starting all over again - I did it once when I had no money in the UK when my children were little and I will do it again in NZ.

I must admit though, our son is on a salary which converted to the UK would be deemed 'low' by UK standards and I don't know how he and his Kiwi wife and young children manage but somehow they do and seem very happy. They have bought a little house with a million dollar view of The Mount in Tauranga - and that can be gazed at from their deck - for nothing - they always seem to have 'get togethers in their house' which I find very sociable and a mix of all ages - everyone brings a few beers and a 'plate' of food. Coversation costs nothing.

In the UK most people always seem to want to go out for their entertainment in the evenings and weekends - why don't they all start adopting the Kiwi lifestyle of 'house visiting' and taking it in turns each weekend to meet up on the beach or park, have a game of rounders or cricket with their friends and then back to someones house for a chat?

The New Zealanders to me, do not seem as materialistic as the British - there are loads of people driving around in cars 10 years old or more and they don't seem to try and keep up with the Jones like I think a lot of people in the UK do. This is very refreshing. I am going to give it a go, you only live once and life is too short to wonder '"what if". Good luck to everyone thinking about moving.

Last edited by Paula2007; Oct 11th 2009 at 10:58 am. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

A very important thread which needs close attention.
I can't help but notice the majority of posts here are from people with children.

Would you agree that having children is a big financial burden, and is only exaggerated by the cost of living in NZ.

What about views and opinions from people living in NZ without children, who are professionals, who both work full time.

It's a difficult one to measure as peoples circumstances are different throughout. I feel that its a case of adapting, there will be sacrifices for gains and that happens in any country you live and work in.

For me; its the opportunities that are pulling me into the country. To have a skill in a future growth area is a massive plus and will hopefully come with many opportunities. In the UK I work in a saturated underpaid market. The otherside of the world its a skill shortage!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

why do you think so many kiwis drive 10 yr old cars.

Here you are simply confirming what i said in the original post
"I did it once when I had no money in the UK when my children were little and I will do it again in NZ.
"
If being close to your family will bring you happiness thats a good reason for coming over,
However i would hate to think that i had worked hard all my life only to end up
eating win the war pie and cutting corners to survive.

a little house with a million dollar view of The Mount in Tauranga - and that can be gazed at from their deck - for nothing -
they always seem to have 'get togethers in their house' which I find very sociable and a mix of all ages -
everyone brings a few beers and a 'plate' of food. Coversation costs nothing.
As i said nice views dont the bills, nice views are ten a penny down here, you can hardly
drive for 5 minutes without saying "Ooooo look at that"
I didnt mention any issues with our social life and freinds, we have a bigger and
closer circle of freinds after only 16 months down here than we had after 45 years in the UK.
One reason people "visit" so much is because there are hardly any pubs down here and those that there are
close very early (8pm and they are dead) as they are empty.
There are many reasons for making the move each just as valid as the next, i was
simply pointing out that people can and do get so wrapped up in the pretty views
and "only an hour from the beach" thing (anywhere in the uk is an hour from the beach)
that they ignore the sometimes very harsh realities of life in NZ.
From what i am lead to believe your pensions will be frozen at the level they are at
when you finally leave the uk. if you live another 30 years will that be enough to survive on
or will you have to do what huge numbers of kiwis do and conitue work way past retirement age
not because they want to but because they have to.

Please dont think i'm having a go, or that i am bitter and want to return to the uk.
I just wanted to let off steam because the situation we're in can be very frustrating at times.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
A very important thread which needs close attention.
I can't help but notice the majority of posts here are from people with children.

Would you agree that having children is a big financial burden, and is only exaggerated by the cost of living in NZ.

What about views and opinions from people living in NZ without children, who are professionals, who both work full time.

It's a difficult one to measure as peoples circumstances are different throughout. I feel that its a case of adapting, there will be sacrifices for gains and that happens in any country you live and work in.

For me; its the opportunities that are pulling me into the country. To have a skill in a future growth area is a massive plus and will hopefully come with many opportunities. In the UK I work in a saturated underpaid market. The otherside of the world its a skill shortage!
I work in a skill shortage job that has possibilities for finding work here but can't find work over in NZ as I am here, I find that a bit frustrating at the moment !
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of

I know that our State pensions are frozen the day we leave the UK - which I think is really unfair as we have both paid into it - my husband for 40 years and me not too far behind. It depends which country you move to as to whether or not you get the paltry increases - although this is being challenged in the Courts at the moment with a ruling coming out next year. We have both worked for over 40 years so have paid into a private pension too - which will help us to survive.

We have looked into the utility bills and know that they will be cheaper in New Zealand for us than in the cold North of England in the winter. Our Council Tax is nearly £1500 per year in the UK and going up. We can only compare our childrens utility bills in NZ with ours in the UK and we will be better off - we will not be working in NZ. Thats just how it works out for us - everyone is different.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS
Really. We have never heard of him. I asked a few couples e met with this evening & they didn't know either. Maybe we can't afford How did he emigrate and by that I mean which visa policy did he use to arrive here and on top of that, I would be interested to know what funds he had at his disposal to do this?

You may have to buy the Nelson Mail, he is quite good on getting himself a bit of publicity, I have not eaten at his restaurant either, but he has won awards for his business and pushed the fact that he has worked in Michlen starred places, Nelsonpom may know more about him as he works opposite I think....I am not personally acquainted so know nothing of his status
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:47 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paula2007
Hope we can survive when we finally get there - after reading all of the posts above!! We will be two pensioners from the UK - retiring to New Zealand to be with our children and grandchildren.

We will be able to buy a house outright as we have finished our 25 year morgage. <snip> we are a very close family and we will try with all our might when we get there - to live and eat well!! (I can see a veggie plot looming in the garden)!! Hotpot in the oven, home baking starting all over again - I did it once when I had no money in the UK when my children were little and I will do it again in NZ.
I think you'll be fine- given you're my in-laws generation I would guess you are constitutionally well suited to NZ's 'mend and make do' culture and I say this with the greatest of respect. My in-laws are really quite wealthy (understatement) and yet my father in-law will still spend half a day repairing his 30yr old wheel barrow (much to the amusement of his four grown children) rather than buy another and the fridge is always full of leftovers- many in suspect looking state to me but perfectly edible to them. They walk and most their leisure time is spent with marmite pack ups and an OS map, often choosing places to park the car that are ridiculously inconvienient yet free etc. I think my generation just expects more; rightly or wrongly. I know I struggle to accept I cannot afford a coffee every day and I recall reading on a forum once that a returnee expat thought it "shocking" that 'crackers, dips and (decent) cheese' could be considered luxury items and yet she found on her Kiwi budget they could only be.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:34 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paula2007
I know that our State pensions are frozen the day we leave the UK - which I think is really unfair as we have both paid into it - my husband for 40 years and me not too far behind. It depends which country you move to as to whether or not you get the paltry increases - although this is being challenged in the Courts at the moment with a ruling coming out next year. We have both worked for over 40 years so have paid into a private pension too - which will help us to survive.

We have looked into the utility bills and know that they will be cheaper in New Zealand for us than in the cold North of England in the winter. Our Council Tax is nearly £1500 per year in the UK and going up. We can only compare our childrens utility bills in NZ with ours in the UK and we will be better off - we will not be working in NZ. Thats just how it works out for us - everyone is different.
Paula I reckon you'll do just fine!! The pension 'steal' is unjust and hopefully will be resolved but .... IMO you will survive what ever, you love your family and like every Mum will make whatever sarifice you need to to make it work for you as a family.

Good luck & I hope you don't have to wait too long before you can join your 'children' in NZ ;lol
B x
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Hi MnB and Bourbon-Biscuit

Thank you for your words of encouragement - and good luck message - our visa application was only handed into the London Branch in March 2009 and we could have up to 2 years to wait before we are allocated a Visa Officer - in the meantime we can only see our new grandson on Skype, photographs or CD film - how we long to hold him close and give him a big kiss - the long the wait is tearing us apart - but another 18 months will go quickly won't it? - its nearly November - horray. Paula
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:17 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

definitely an eye opening thread

I was just looking at car prices. We wanted to get a VW Caddy here in Egypt (where we have HUGE taxes on cars), and the price on TradeMe was even more expensive!

How much would a couple with no children need to make to live comfortably? Not extravagantly mind you, just comfortably ie. not having to live paycheck to paycheck and having a bit left over for a domestic vacation etc?

Another question: we have a house in Egypt, IF we go to NZ (still a big if since our points aren't so good at the moment) is it better to sell and buy there (no rent, no mortgage) or to rent? Bear in mind prices don't go down here at all, in fact they rise in leaps and bounds! Do house prices ever go down in NZ? Would putting everything (which is basically our house) we own be at risk there?

Thanks for any insight on this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.