Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice
Default Re: This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

And it wont get any better for you, so cut your losses and get the hell out of there. swollow your pride. you gave it a shot,
Its all about "money". but when things get tight give me the UK any day.
either way good luck.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilki
And it wont get any better for you, so cut your losses and get the hell out of there. swollow your pride. you gave it a shot,
Its all about "money". but when things get tight give me the UK any day.
either way good luck.
Wanna bet ??

Its getting better already.
Opportunity knocks down here and i've got a cunning plan.

I dont think I will ever move back to the uk, i'm so over it now.
My england is dead and gone and i dont like whats taken its place.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:07 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paula2007

why don't they all start adopting the Kiwi lifestyle of 'house visiting' and taking it in turns each weekend to meet up on the beach or park, have a game of rounders or cricket with their friends and then back to someones house for a chat?

That's exactly what we do in the UK.

Everyone I know does it this way, once kids are on the scene. For example, on Saturday we're meeting friends for football on 'the green' followed by a casual lunch at our house. On Sunday we are going to friends for the afternoon to hang out, probably have tea and cake and possibly play a game if the mood takes us.

In my experience, I don't think it's a kiwi thing to entertain in this way, although one could get the opposite impression reading this forum. It's how my British parents always did it and how we now do it too. DH happens to be a Kiwi, but is more of a recluse than a party animal.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:34 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

Everyone I know does it this way, once kids are on the scene. For example, on Saturday we're meeting friends for football on 'the green' followed by a casual lunch at our house. On Sunday we are going to friends for the afternoon to hang out, probably have tea and cake and possibly play a game if the mood takes us.

In my experience, I don't think it's a kiwi thing to entertain in this way, although one could get the opposite impression reading this forum. It's how my British parents always did it and how we now do it too. DH happens to be a Kiwi, but is more of a recluse than a party animal.
You are a rarity Most of the people I know in England don't even know the names of their next door neighbours! Even the goverment have to put adverts on National television to try to get people to go check on lonely OAP's during cold weather!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:44 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
You are a rarity Most of the people I know in England don't even know the names of their next door neighbours! Even the goverment have to put adverts on National television to try to get people to go check on lonely OAP's during cold weather!

Yes, maybe you're right. My husband would agree that I am a rarity!

Re: neighbours. We live in a cul-de-sac with mixed families and retired people who moved into the houses with their young families when they were built in the 70's. Our elderly neighbours (over 70 but active and in good health, so not really elderly), adore my kids and I love the way they like to be part of each other's lives.

My 9 year old likes to call on them for a quick 'hello' and one couple in particular have four of the neighbourhood children, including my two girls, round for tea and a play in their garden about three times a year. How lovely is that? We try to have a Xmas drink with them; they drink us under the table and try to throw us with their requests for sherry or some old fashioned drink!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
Wanna bet ??

Its getting better already.
Opportunity knocks down here and i've got a cunning plan.

I dont think I will ever move back to the uk, i'm so over it now.
My england is dead and gone and i dont like whats taken its place.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:18 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Umm I don't know the names of my next door neighbour and they don't even smile,stuck up so and so's I'm afriad to tell you not all kiwis are friendly people!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

Yeah you said it kiwis are not
Party animals judging by the dead town on a Saturday night!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Umm I don't know the names of my next door neighbour and they don't even smile,stuck up so and so's I'm afriad to tell you not all kiwis are friendly people!
No they are not..neither are british people. I lived in a VERY small street in friendly old east London for 10 years and knew nobody..and I DID make an effort. It was always a one way street in terms of me making an effort.

Ditto I have neighbours here who may aswell be on another dimension. One is down right rude inspite of my efforts to smile at the ugly old witch and several of the others are not much better. Fxxk 'em its their loss.

I really enjoy my own company during the school hours when Kate's at work..I never did that much in the UK. It's marvelous, just me, my jobs and Michael Laws. Marvelous.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:09 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you said it kiwis are not
Party animals judging by the dead town on a Saturday night!
Magic..... towns here are drunk girls, vomiting/fighting boys and total danger
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:10 pm

See what I mean! you must be British.....
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:40 pm

See what I mean! you must be British.....
And what the heck does that mean....I said they dont smile or talk!!! read my thread again!!!! I spell it out for you I Live In New Zealand and not all Kiwis are friendly

on the other hand my other two neighbors are great we pop in and out of each others houses for drinks etc....

I dont know really what you were getting at to tell you the truth!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:45 pm

Magic..... towns here are drunk girls, vomiting/fighting boys and total danger
Yep i come from the Midlands and did i say anything about missing drunks and stuff???, dont be under the impression that your free of drunk/vomiting teenagers and fighting boys in New Zealand.

I said i find the town a bit dead, no one seems to socialize well not in Wangas they don't ! on the other hand Wellington City is great for night life.

dont emigrate to Escape the UK!! Emigrate because you want to try something different that's what we did not just to get away from England.

to me its just another place to live at the moment

Have a nice day/night
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis
No they are not..neither are british people. I lived in a VERY small street in friendly old east London for 10 years and knew nobody..and I DID make an effort. It was always a one way street in terms of me making an effort.

Ditto I have neighbours here who may aswell be on another dimension. One is down right rude inspite of my efforts to smile at the ugly old witch and several of the others are not much better. Fxxk 'em its their loss.

I really enjoy my own company during the school hours when Kate's at work..I never did that much in the UK. It's marvelous, just me, my jobs and Michael Laws. Marvelous.
Agree with you on that, I quiet like my own company also and If they choose to not be friendly well that's their loss
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Stormer999 what exactly are you expecting NZ to be like ??
I think you might need to take your rose tints off and look deeper than the
immigration blurb.

I dont know my neighbours names either.
We popped round to both when we moved in to say hi and introduce ourselves
but that has been about the total of our involvement with them.
We had a brit family move in next door for a while and they were so much
nicer and friendlier than the kiwis.
None of our friends (brits or kiwis) have much contact with any of their neighbours either.

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 6th 2009 at 2:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.