Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Washing machines - front loader v top loader

Washing machines - front loader v top loader

Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:58 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing machines - front loader v top loader

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I like the toploader, so far. No more bending down , important for tall people !
I haven't noticed any problems with clothes, seems to be same quality of wash
ahhh so you were behind *that* advert??
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:30 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

This seems an appropriate place to put this The Warehouse was selling
3kg Persil for $8.99 today (don't know for how much longer)! 1.5kg in Countdown is $8.69
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:13 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
This seems an appropriate place to put this The Warehouse was selling
3kg Persil for $8.99 today (don't know for how much longer)! 1.5kg in Countdown is $8.69
Is that low suds sensitive? Or just super foamy enzyme laden top loader stuff?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Dunno but I am REALLY interested if it is low suds and sensitive. Most washing powders irritate my skin, so sensitive it has to be. Just call me princess.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:29 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

You can get low suds sensitive persil in Woolworths, or at least you can in our local store.

BTW on the subject of bringing over more than 1 of each white good item; we brought over 2 under the counter fridges and an upright fridge/freezer. Customs didn't query this.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:50 am
Just Joined

delcat will become famous soon enoughdelcat will become famous soon enough

This thread made me lauch - glad its not just me!! Top loaders are awful, wreck your clothes and, combined with the detergents you get in NZ, don't get your clothes clean. As one of you has already said, "Why?????". Apparently you need to add a stain removing powder to your wash if you want them to come out clean....Huh. Beyond me why the detergent manufacturers don't just include some useful stuff in the powder that actually washes your laundry then. Maybe we should tell them... And if you have the misfortune of having an 'older' machine and you use an in-wash additive with 'oxy-power', it lifts all the grime off your machine and glues it your laundry. Lovely.

I also once made the mistake of using top loader powder in a front loader - took a good 10 rinses before I got rid of the bubbles
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:00 am
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gina and danny
we used a top loader on holiday and not only did it ruin our clothes it also must have been magic because i put an all white wash in and the clothes came out with grey patches all over them!! i was told by a friend that its the washing powder and the way the clothes lie on top of each other in the top loader,so i will defo steer well clear in future!!
Oh also forgot to mention. If you do get grey marks, this is acumulated dirt and bacteria which sticks to the drum then goes on the clothes. If you wash clothes on a 40 deg wash or lower run an empty high temperature one every now and again to kill the bacteria. Lower temps are an ideal breeding ground for it.

God I know loads of useless info.

Jo
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by JoB
Oh also forgot to mention. If you do get grey marks, this is acumulated dirt and bacteria which sticks to the drum then goes on the clothes.
Yuk
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:42 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
You can get low suds sensitive persil in Woolworths, or at least you can in our local store.

BTW on the subject of bringing over more than 1 of each white good item; we brought over 2 under the counter fridges and an upright fridge/freezer. Customs didn't query this.
we brought a freezer and a fridge freezer - no probs.
the low suds sensitive only comes in 1.5kg boxes AFIK - anyone seen anything larger in cash & carry (if such a thing exitsts here???), etc?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:19 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

yuck yuck yuck, maybe because i am used to a top loader (in complete opposition to the majority of people on this forum) i would NEVER choose a front loader. I just hate them. In the same way that people with top loaders who preferred front loaders say that they preferred front loaders then i have had front loaders and i prefer top loaders without a doubt. front loaders all the way for me

But again, perhaps it is what i am used to. the one thing i would say is make sure your clothes powder is appropriate to the type of loader!!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:31 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
yuck yuck yuck, maybe because i am used to a top loader (in complete opposition to the majority of people on this forum) i would NEVER choose a front loader. I just hate them. In the same way that people with top loaders who preferred front loaders say that they preferred front loaders then i have had front loaders and i prefer top loaders without a doubt. front loaders all the way for me

But again, perhaps it is what i am used to. the one thing i would say is make sure your clothes powder is appropriate to the type of loader!!
come on you luddite - please explain any logical reason why a top loader is better?
water consumption - no
powder consumption - no
cleaning ability - no
convenience - maybe as you can throw stuff in mid-cycle but it does not matter as its not clean at the end anyway
electricity efficiency - maybe as cycle is shorter but that's because the clothes aren't really cleaned
microbiological cleanliness - well by all accounts no, unless you bleach your clothes on the line
longevity of clothing - no
damage to back - well. arguable as unwringing the stuff from the impeller and pulling it out from2 feet down is likely to be wors than simply tugging it out from a horizontal drum and letting it all fall forward into a strategically placed basket (unlike the F&P lady in *that* ad)

agree totally with the final point though.........
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:33 am
you dewty owld maan!

oh yeah, I think yu can buy Persil sensitive powder in toploader variety in bulk - mmmm......one advantage.....