Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Washing machines - front loader v top loader

Washing machines - front loader v top loader

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:50 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing machines - front loader v top loader

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I think they must be easier and cheaper to make - the door seal and associated locking devices must be quite an expensive bit of engineering if you're trying to trim margins and compete with far-east manufacturers.
but aren't F&P now a far east manufacturer - Thailand for all of their machines and the electronics department?
according to my Kiwi mates F&P are an icon and dissing them is a capital offence in certain quarters (or it was until they decided to go offshore...) - /holds out wrists/ "its a fair cop, gov"
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:29 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I swear, hand on heart, I have never had a problem with my top loader. I think people pack them up to the top and that's what causes the problems - you need to leave about 20cm space between the clothes and the top to give them room to move around safely.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:50 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I swear, hand on heart, I have never had a problem with my top loader. I think people pack them up to the top and that's what causes the problems - you need to leave about 20cm space between the clothes and the top to give them room to move around safely.
wot and they actually get the clothes *clean*? - or are you just a very very tidy person who never spills stuff on their atire or keeps their kids away from chocolate?
go on tell me the make and model and I'll go and see it.........
In my view, the range of cold water detergents and oxy-magic super bleaching powders available over here speak volumes for the cleaning abilities of top loaders. Maybe the F&P beast we had in the rental was ready for the skip? Hardly ever filled it more than to the medium line on the impeller and didn't get problems with the clothes falling to bits over the 2 months or so but the white kiddies stuff never ever came up clean, even with some of that pre-soaking oxy-wotsit.
Or maybe I was just too mean on the Persil? - nah, we use half the powder now and the clothes come up clean and with 1600 rpm a lot drier (in winter)
......albeit with longer cycles and the "I wish I'd put that in the load" feeling
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:57 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The top loader we rented was terrible, put a 4 or 5 shirts into it and they came out in one lump, knotted together like a wodge of old string.

They also use far too much water.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
wot and they actually get the clothes *clean*? - or are you just a very very tidy person who never spills stuff on their atire or keeps their kids away from chocolate?
In my view, the range of cold water detergents and oxy-magic super bleaching powders available over here speak volumes for the cleaning abilities of top loaders. Maybe the F&P beast we had in the rental was ready for the skip? Hardly ever filled it more than to the medium line on the impeller and didn't get problems with the clothes falling to bits over the 2 months or so but the white kiddies stuff never ever came up clean, even with some of that pre-soaking oxy-wotsit.
Or maybe I was just too mean on the Persil? - nah, we use half the powder now and the clothes come up clean and with 1600 rpm a lot drier (in winter)
......albeit with longer cycles and the "I wish I'd put that in the load" feeling
I had 4 months travelling round Aus & NZ dealing with toploading washing machines in hostels, one mark on your clothes and you were done for, they do nothing bet wet them and spin them round on themselves into a tight ball and get more creases in stuff than before you put them in the silly machine...

Frontloaders all the way baby, yeah!!!

PLUS Toploader gave us that rubbish "Dancing in the Moonlight" song...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:17 am

Did it? no fair....ours just beeped a few times.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:21 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
We have no ankle biters It's a F&P something or other - it's only a 5.5kg as there's only the two of us and it has settings for the amount of water you want to use - high/low/medium - also regular/heavy duty/delicate. I just stick to the washing instructions on my clothes and nothing has emerged tangled (except maybe a belt sometimes that wraps around the agitator or a bra strap ) or in tatters.

I heard something once about too much washing powder causing whites to go gray but can't find anything on it at the moment on Google.

I dunno - maybe I'm not so fussy or something
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:38 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I had come on here and asked like you have before I spent $1699 on a big top of the range top loader. I thought they would be the same and be able to clean more stuff in one go cause they were bigger....FOOL !!!!

I miss my front loader, you notice the difference so much. My kids white sox come out no different to when they went in, even putting fabric softner in doesn't make them smell nice or soft.. If there was one thing I wish i had brought from the Uk - it was my washing machine..
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Wish I had come on here and asked like you have before I spent $1699 on a big top of the range top loader. I thought they would be the same and be able to clean more stuff in one go cause they were bigger....FOOL !!!!

I miss my front loader, you notice the difference so much. My kids white sox come out no different to when they went in, even putting fabric softner in doesn't make them smell nice or soft.. If there was one thing I wish i had brought from the Uk - it was my washing machine..
I wondered if the F&P stood for Fisher & Price, cos these toploaders look and wash like a toy washing machine would
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like we will be buying a front loader then. Anywhere got a good sale on at the mo?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:40 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by CCGM.IN.NZ
Would like some opinions please. We will be moving to another rental house soon and the front loader I use now came with the house. So, we need to look at getting a new machine. Not sure what to go for. The only top loaders I used where in the Florida villas we have stayed in on holiday and I thought they were good. Have always had a front loader at home. Just like to know what you lot think, front loader or top loader. Thanks.
Front loader are the best option by far.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like we will be buying a front loader then. Anywhere got a good sale on at the mo?
Shop around! Harvey Norman had reductions on stuff when I was in today!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Would like some opinions please. We will be moving to another rental house soon and the front loader I use now came with the house. So, we need to look at getting a new machine. Not sure what to go for. The only top loaders I used where in the Florida villas we have stayed in on holiday and I thought they were good. Have always had a front loader at home. Just like to know what you lot think, front loader or top loader. Thanks.
mate....

Definitely go for a FRONT LOADER No need for words

"Miele"

a) the most expensive machine on the market
b) a lot quieter
c) most reliable (Miele themselves expect their washing machines to last 20 years)
d) more sophisticated

there are relatively few other washing machines up there with Miele - probably none.
One of the best of the rest though is "Siemens" ---->"Not Available in NZ":curse: why?

p.s

I Don't Recommend F&P (especially Fridges & Freezers)

Last edited by crap coffee; Jan 23rd 2008 at 11:23 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:40 am

We've had our Miele at least 7-8 years now and it's still going strong after numerous house moves and two international relocations (saying that is bound to tempt fate!)

It weighs a ton though (think it has a block of concrete in it it's so heavy). The removals men pick it up like a F&P and then their faces take on a fixed smile as they struggle to make it look easy....I do warn them it's heavy but do they listen?

When it does eventually die I'll buy another one like a shot.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:53 am
you dewty owld maan!

Siemens and Bosch are pretty much the same company when it comes to white goods (service side in UK anyway) - watch out for Bosch stuff made in southern Europe......
Heaven knows how much a Meile would cost in NZ......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.