British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Washing machines!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/washing-machines-795801/)

qssue May 2nd 2013 9:16 am

Washing machines!!

Hi all,
My overused washing machine has died:demon:
We are due out in the next 3 - 4 months, so i was wondering, is it worth bringing a washing machine with us? If so, can anyone recommend which brand would be best to transport and ease of spares etc for the future. Alternatively, I will have to buy a cheapy for a couple of months:frown:

MrsFychan May 2nd 2013 9:24 am

Re: Washing machines!!

we bought ours over, mind you ours is nearing 10 yrs old. until it arrived we just rented one here. I know you can rent them in the UK as well so might be worth looking at renting there and buying here when you get here, instead of other way round.

simonmarkellis May 2nd 2013 9:24 am

Can you not rent one?

MrsFychan May 2nd 2013 9:29 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 10688371)
Can you not rent one?

SNAP

qssue May 2nd 2013 9:29 am

Did not even know you could rent one!

MrsFychan May 2nd 2013 9:32 am

someone I used to work with in the UK rented most of their white goods as it meant they got the latest ones when they came out.
Maybe Google your area and see what comes up.

Snap Shot May 2nd 2013 9:39 am

We rented our washing machine in Britain from Box Clever, I don't know what the company is called now. When we got to New Zealand we rented a washing machine for three months in Christchurch then retuned it when we left town.

We rent a washing machine from Mr. Rental now. They are all over NZ, you can Google them. Mr Rental also rent other white goods, furniture, electrical goods etc. We've rented our washing machine for nearly 2 years, after one year I negotiated a discount on the rental fee as I was no longer renting a brand new machine. I'll call Mr. Rental to ask about getting a new washing machine in the next couple of weeks which means I'll go back to new rental rates. That's NZ$22 (about eleven quid) per fortnight, not the current rent of NZ$20 per fortnight.

Also, DTR is a rental company that rents white goods and furniture in NZ.

Other than that it's the laundrette, no matter where you are !

MrsFychan May 2nd 2013 9:48 am

useful to have other names than just Mr Rental for the first few weeks, we rented off Mr Rental when we got out here.

If you have trouble finding a rental provider in the UK give us your area and maybe someone will know of somewhere

MOSO May 2nd 2013 9:57 am

Don't buy Hotpoint. They don't sell them here and when ours recently died that we had brought with us from the UK it was difficult enough to get someone to come out and when they did they couldn't fix it as they couldn't get hold of the electrical part it needed. I could have tried to buy it myself from Ebay and get it shipped over but we decided it wasn't worth the hassle......went for Bosch here which seems more International. You might want to check somewhere like Harvey Norman's website to compare prices of models and decide where it's better to buy.

GoingIn2011 May 2nd 2013 10:08 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10688414)
useful to have other names than just Mr Rental for the first few weeks, we rented off Mr Rental when we got out here.

If you have trouble finding a rental provider in the UK give us your area and maybe someone will know of somewhere

ezrentals on the North Shore, something like 140 bucks for 3 months. Nice people too

AndyEvs May 2nd 2013 7:48 pm

Might be tempting fate here but we bought our Bosch machine in 2000, transported it to NZ and it is still going. In fact every Bosch item we have ever bought is still working, tumble dryer, dishwasher, drill, sander etc.

scrubbedexpat094 May 2nd 2013 8:54 pm

Personally I'd buy a Bosch or a Miele washing machine in the UK & then ship it over with you. We came over with our Hotpoint which eventually died on us. I didn't even bother trying to get it fixed, just headed to Harvey Norman & got a Bosch. They are hideously expensive in NZ although OH & I managed to negotiate a large discount (he's not in procurement for nothing :D). But not everyone feels comfortable doing that & it was still slightly more expensive than it would've been in the UK.

Tom1983 May 2nd 2013 10:35 pm

Just make sure you use Calgon, otherwise the washing machine will live a shorter life

Bo-Jangles May 3rd 2013 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Tom1983 (Post 10689493)
Just make sure you use Calgon, otherwise the washing machine will live a shorter life

Really? In eight years here I have never had the tiniest piece of limescale in the kettle or around the sink, so I think Calgon would be an absolute waste in the washing machine.

A dose of vinegar and washing soda in a hot wash every so often does wonders for keeping my machine all sparkly clean.

GoingIn2011 May 3rd 2013 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Tom1983 (Post 10689493)

How much does Calgon cost you versus how much shorter is the life expectancy? I've never been convinced by the value of Calgon irrespective of the local water. It's akin in a way to buying insurance - I'd rather take my chances...