Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Washing Machine Help !!!!

Washing Machine Help !!!!

Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:18 pm
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light
Default Washing Machine Help !!!!

Hey all,
Been along time since i've been on here.....life flowing along, Mrs Al & kids loving life and are now true kiwi's !!!!!
But..........................................
Life is threatened at the mo.......our Hotpoint washing machine that we purchased in the UK just before we came out here has decided that it doesn't want to 'spin' anymore, not a problem during the summer but now it's coming to those colder months.......apparantly i can't make the kids wear wet clothes telling them to run around until they dry !!!!

Anyone know where i can get parts or anyone who can fix hotpoint washing machines !......don't want to have to buy a new one, this one cost me a fortune so that i could have nice smellin' clothes !!!

Any help greatly appreciated.........answers on a postcard.........prize for the winning answer

Big Al.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing Machine Help !!!!

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Hey all,
Been along time since i've been on here.....life flowing along, Mrs Al & kids loving life and are now true kiwi's !!!!!
But..........................................
Life is threatened at the mo.......our Hotpoint washing machine that we purchased in the UK just before we came out here has decided that it doesn't want to 'spin' anymore, not a problem during the summer but now it's coming to those colder months.......apparantly i can't make the kids wear wet clothes telling them to run around until they dry !!!!

Anyone know where i can get parts or anyone who can fix hotpoint washing machines !......don't want to have to buy a new one, this one cost me a fortune so that i could have nice smellin' clothes !!!

Any help greatly appreciated.........answers on a postcard.........prize for the winning answer

Big Al.
Google hotpoint Nz...get ought? How about the drive band..has it come off...this happened to my front loader? It's really easy to get back on. You can tell if its off because the drum will not go round at all when you do a wash. Turn it on and see if it is doing the tumbling of the clothes..if it does then its not the belt. It will probably in that case be a switch or something wrong in the circuit board. I would have thought any good washing machine engineer could diagnose that problem..then you just get a friend to source the part (if needed) from the UK and get it sent here for you or the engineer to fit.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what you are going through! I brought a brand new Bosch front loader over from the UK but had it in storage here whilst I was in a rental property cos it already had a front loader. So, when I finally got to unpack my lovely shiny new machine, it worked ok for a few washes then the belt started to come off. I managed to put it back on myself but it happened a couple more times.

I looked in the Yellow pages for washing machine repairers and checked that they could work on Bosch. They did and they ordered me a new belt and came to fix it. All ok for another few months then the circuit board blew at Christmas! I contacted the Bosch service department in NZ and they agreed it was still covered under the international 2 year warranty so the repairers ordered me a new board from Europe and it seems to be behaving now.

So, first thing you should do is, as Genesis says, check the belt.
Next thing would be to find a local washing machine repairer who can work on European brands and has access to ordering parts. Otherwise, see if you can find out the NZ Hotpoint Service Dept contact number and speak to them directly to see what they advise.

I was told that quite often, the shipping and the storage of the machines makes the belts stretch/mould into a shape around the drum as they are not being used.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 8:17 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if we should get new one here to bring or just buy when we get there? Do you have any better coverage warrenty wise??

Thanks
Dewb
Old Mar 20th 2010, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

My friend has been in similar position....got her sis in Uk to order part from hoover and they shipped it direct to here.

Phyl x
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Not sure if we should get new one here to bring or just buy when we get there? Do you have any better coverage warrenty wise??

Thanks
Dewb
Defo get one in uk if you can. I found here that almost none of the machines I looked at here at short washes. If you do go for one here, go for a front loader which is what your used to. I sold my 1 year old miele washer and dryer with the house and soooooooooooooooo wish I didnt!!

To the OP - I'm also in Manly so if your really stuck, at a small cost you can always pop over and use my machine! that, or pop into the whangaparaoa warehouse and buy some more underwear!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:36 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=irish_eyes;8434176]Defo get one in uk if you can. I found here that almost none of the machines I looked at here at short washes. If you do go for one here, go for a front loader which is what your used to. I sold my 1 year old miele washer and dryer with the house and soooooooooooooooo wish I didnt!!

QUOTE]

Oh no a Miele feel for you Will def get a front loader much prefer them to top loaders. Just wondered if there was any advantage other than not having to ship by buying one over there (one less thing to buy?)
Hubster feel we would be better to buy there for warrenty reasons

Dewb
Old Mar 20th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

donnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura about

Hi sorry for your washing machine troubles, hope they are soon sorted.

I too was thinking of buying new in UK and shipping, can anyone advise what make would be best, ie what would be easiest fixed in NZ if I run into similar problems.

Cheers
Old Mar 20th 2010, 6:59 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Just wondered if there was any advantage other than not having to ship by buying one over there (one less thing to buy?)
Hubster feel we would be better to buy there for warrenty reasons

Dewb
Tell the shop it's being exported. If your shippers collect it, you don't pay VAT.
When ours arrived we did not receive a GST bill, but you could.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Tell the shop it's being exported. If your shippers collect it, you don't pay VAT.
When ours arrived we did not receive a GST bill, but you could.
Yes BUT if you don't pay the VAT on new goods in the UK, you are supposed to declare them on your import documentation and then you have to pay GST. I guess you didn't declare the new items! That's a chance not everyone is prepared to take.

I would, however, recommend that if you buy brand new, that you do unpack it and test it in the UK so that it is not brand new anymore! Then buy spare parts eg belts, door seals etc and get the NZ Service Centre contact details before you leave the UK.

As I mentioned in my post, Bosch now do a 2 year International Warranty.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

As with all electrical goods, I think you are better buying new (or off Trade Me ) in NZ than importing, cuts down on a lot of hassle and mucking around if and when they do go wrong

Oh and there is a small problem with using UK washing machines in the southern hemisphere as the water spins the wrong way in the drum due to the rotation of the earth and gravity being all upside down

This also explains why nobody buys Fisher & Paykel stuff outside Australasia...honest!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
As with all electrical goods, I think you are better buying new (or off Trade Me ) in NZ than importing, cuts down on a lot of hassle and mucking around if and when they do go wrong

Oh and there is a small problem with using UK washing machines in the southern hemisphere as the water spins the wrong way in the drum due to the rotation of the earth and gravity being all upside down

This also explains why nobody buys Fisher & Paykel stuff outside Australasia...honest!
I agree. Buy here. You can get front loaders with short washes..we have a Samsung with a 35 min wash. By the way DO buy the extended warranties on washers, fridges and dish washers. I have had about 20 claims in 5 years..bad luck I guess..we even got a brand new $3k fridge after 4years as it went wrong so much!! They are only about $175 for 4 years.plus you get the 1st year from the manufacturer so that's 5 yrs. Ask for a Supercover. there is no excess (well there wasn't) and they cover for wear and tear too!! Which is nice. They worth their weight in gold.