Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Washing machine - front or top loading?

Washing machine - front or top loading?

Old Mar 13th 2016, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washing machine - front or top loading?

Our washing machine & tumble dryer are on their last legs & not worth taking to NZ. So we could use this opportunity to get new ones as everybody seems to be saying whiteware goods are more expensive over there. I've always had a Bosch and would like to stick with the brand. Can't compare like for like as the same models are not available in NZ.

Is it worth it dragging a front-loading washing machine half way around the world or should we buy our replacement over there?

Don't know if it's like with cars that European models are not that popular but then the F&P are not exactly cheap either?

If we were staying in the UK we'd just run them into the ground but as it is we have to make a decision regarding repalcement pretty soon so that they can look used for repatriation purposes.

TIA
Old Mar 13th 2016, 6:44 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing machine - front or top loading?

if you are planning to buy in UK and bring with you what does it matter if its top or front loading? what you need to consider is whether you can get the parts if it goes wrong.

have a look on sites like Noel Lemming and 100% Newbolds to get an idea of costs.
Sites like MrRental for rental cost whilst you wait for the container
Old Mar 13th 2016, 7:17 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Will the appliance you buy in the UK be covered by a World Wide guarantee ?
Bosch have 42 companies banging out parts all over the globe and if they are anything like my VAX vacuum cleaner company spares are not interchangeable as different models are chucked out for different market conditions so spares had to be sourced in the UK making servicing unsustainable.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 8:00 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Just rent one initially. We rent our washing machine here in NZ. It will be frustrating for you if you buy one that does not fit in the laundry room (utility room). If you buy a top loader and have to slot it under the work bench it will not be as convenient as having a front loader.

Front loading washing machines are gaining in popularity here in NZ presently although the majority of Kiwis are pretty much 'wedded' to their top loading washing machines.

Some houses here in NZ even have those fancy European kitchens where the washing machine is in the kitchen.

Be prepared for the culture shock of the washing machine taps to be in the garage. Yes really. This means you will have to do your laundry in the garage. That happened to us when we rented a house in Whanganui. My SIL who lives in Auckland had her washing machine in the garage for all the years before they moved to the outskirts of Auckland and now has a laundry.

The nearest branch of Mr. Rental to Whanganui is in Palmerston North. That's where we rent our washing machine from. There's a branch of DTR who also rent electrical goods here in Whanganui.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 13th 2016 at 8:03 pm. Reason: garage
Old Mar 13th 2016, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend front loader

I would also remind you that consumer guarantees act protects you so don't waste money on extended warranties.

Also bear in mind the quality sweet spot is middle of the road. Manufacturing standards have increased dramatically - but keep away from cheap cheap. Just don't need to spend money on bosc when your priority is mortgage low to non existent.

We shipped over our near new miele suite, and in hindsight would rather have not. Would of as others have mentioned rent for a few months, and even then bought a middle of road (ok everything is relatively expensive in NZ) and awaiting 3 to 5 years to upgrade.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally a front loader. We had a top loader when we first arrived and it was a pain in the butt! Prior to moving I hadn't seen a top loader since the old old old fashioned one my granma had hidden under the kitchen counter, ha ha!

The ease of front loader is way better. We have an LG one and it's fantastic! Although play companies off each other and get the best deal you can, price matching can save you a lot
Old Mar 14th 2016, 12:03 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I would go front loader. Although good point above about choosing wisely based on the space you have to fit it in. I've had two top loaders in my time and both seem too rough on my clothes and don't quite clean them well enough. After a cycle I'm basically pulling out a huge ball of intertwined clothes! I never had that problem with front loaders, they seem a bit more gentle. Although the benefit to top loaders is that you can stop them once they've started and put that stray sock in that you always manage to drop in the hallway...
Old Mar 14th 2016, 12:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As your stuff is on its last legs , buy new here unless you are looking at a year or two with duff appliances.

There is reasonable choice these years of both top and front loaders. Wait for the sales and make sure of a price match.

Further, you don't actually know what space there will be for said washer and dryer so best to wait until you do.

FWIW. We hardly use the tumble dryer although we have one.

Our washing machine is in our downstairs shower room Snapshot.

Mr BEVS gets in from a day of plumbing. Chucks his work gear in the w/m . Turns right on round and chucks himself in the shower.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 12:19 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

It took me a while to get used to my top loader. I find the handwash setting with soak time and deep rinse works best. Otherwise the clothes are twisted out of shape. I agree that front loaders seem to be more gentle - usually the cycle is longer too.

Benefits of top loaders are being able to pop in odd socks that always turn up when you've just switched it on. I also have a sensitive back and so find a top loader less strain. They are also more common so you might get better discounts.

Kiwis think it is very odd to have your washing machine in a kitchen unless it is a very small flat. You would normally have a laundry, but smaller houses may have the machine in the garage, especially if it the garage integrated into the house. I prefer my machine in the garage rather than the kitchen.

Having looked at the dishwasher market recently, I felt that F&P were expensive and not well made these days. I bought a Bosch cheaper at a discount outlet.

Last edited by jmh; Mar 14th 2016 at 12:23 am.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

The brand of machine you are wanting to buy could play a part. From a quick look on the net, seems like Asian brands like Samsung are cheaqer here than the UK, but European brands like Bosch are dearer. Makes sense due to shipping costs. You might also find that a lot of Kiwis run big chest freezers out in the garage.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 3:23 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I loved my top loader in NZ. It washed reasonably well, I could chuck forgotten bits in, which proved handier than it sounds. I really liked how you can adjust the water yourself, which of course means you can use the bathwater for the first soak. As 2/4 ppl in my house in NZ liked to do hard-out sport several times a week and running on other days, it was invaluable to be able to use the tub for soaking before laundering. When I compared the standard of wash of my top loader with my friend's very decent front loader run on a quick wash, the top loader won by a good mile.

However, to get a comparable standard of wash a top loader needs a bit more thought because you need to load the small items first, use laundry bags and mix up the powder first. I also found I needed to use more detergent and a bio one at that. I agree that it is not as gentle as a front loader but the use of laundry bags helps with that (not that I have very delicate clothing ...).

Here in Oz my mum has given me her old front loader and although I *thought* I had given my heart to top loaders I am now having a complete about turn. Yes, it takes longer BUT I can use an eco detergent in it and get better results than the top loader using a regular bio. Only down side is not being able to use recycled water for the first soak.

I hate washing machines in the kitchen; in the absence of a laundry room, the garage seems a sensible place for it to go because then you can still have the laundry tub, whereas in the kitchen you won't have a dedicated tub and will have to sort all your laundry on the kitchen floor (see note above about sport-aholic types and their smelly muddy gear).
Old Mar 14th 2016, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Consensus seems to imply buy in NZ given probably renting for a while and buying European models no guarantee parts will be available if anything goes wrong. In overall scheme of what is not a cheap move how many dollars are you saving anyway ?
Old Mar 14th 2016, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Always go for front loaders, they use a fraction of the water and use a fraction of the power due to shorter cycle times
Top loaders are prehistoric lumps that tangle up your clothes into knots
Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:38 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Always go for front loaders, they use a fraction of the water and use a fraction of the power due to shorter cycle times
Top loaders are prehistoric lumps that tangle up your clothes into knots
Firstly, this only applies to old top loaders; newer eco models are good competition for front loaders, especially when you factor in water and energy per kilo of wash. Newer models also don't tangle up clothes.

Secondly, front loaders have much longer cycle times than top loaders.

If you've ever used a clapped out top loader in a motel or laundrette it's enough to put you off them for life but the new eco models are impressive.

Another bonus of top loaders is that I can move them on my own, and you can transport them in the back of a car
Old Mar 25th 2016, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Iggydoos is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if you hv space in the container its worth shipping electronics over.

We brought over discounted new AEG and Bosch appliances and they are in use everyday. It gives me satisfaction whenever I hear the front loading washing machine purr. They are the modern home's work horse so worth investing in a good brand. There was a risk as we bought these machines as returns from a departmental store but everything seems to be working so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.