Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Warning re internet ordering from M&S

Warning re internet ordering from M&S

Old May 18th 2011, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning re internet ordering from M&S

Originally Posted by nick333
Could someone in the know advise whether i would have to pay GST and the Customs transaction charge on a golf club from the states valued at US$ 180 or would it pass though without any additional charges. Many thanks in anticipation.

As always the $60 rule applies; if fees and duty charges are less than $60 then nothing will be charged. If the fee comes to more than $60 then you have to pay the whole shooting match, plus fees. Don't forget, you must factor in also the cost of freight for the calculation of GST. You need to convert the total amount including postage; the exchange rate is set for a period in advance as shown on customs website - do not rely on other rates of exchange, especially if you are close to the mark.

It appears that there is zero % Import Duty Charge on Golf Clubs

http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...fault.aspx?s=7

The US $ exchange rate presently in use is 0.78 (or 1.28 US to NZ) until 29th May 2011

http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/util...-Exchange.aspx

Example Working

US$180.00 x 1.28 = NZ$230.77 Goods
NZ$230.77 x 0% Duty = Zero Duty to Pay on Golf Clubs (changes depending on the type of goods; clothes are 10%)

US $ xx.xx x 1.28 NZ$xx.xx Postage

Add together the NZ$ amount for Goods + Postage x by 15% to calculate the GST = NZ$xx.xx GST to Pay

If the calculated Duty + GST are greater than $60 then you will pay the full amount, plus have other MAF fees added.

If the calculated GST + Duty are below $60 then you pay nothing

I reckon you should be well under the NZ$60.00 assuming you aren't paying an absolute fortune (more than NZ$170 ish) for shipping
Old May 18th 2011, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Given this thread is a general warning about the costs associated with ordering items from overseas, another cost I never factored in the past was the cost of using our credit cards offshore , as I found to my own cost recently, it can come with a nasty sting.

ASB Bank and presumably others charge an offshore margin of 2% for using a credit card overseas. This is all well and good if you factor in the cost and the order is fulfilled. However, I recently had an order go t*ts up on me and consequently had to request a refund on the amount paid via my credit card.

So I get charged 2% on the initial purchase, then I get charged another 2% on the refund, plus in the meantime I had lost out on the exchange rate on the refund. Cost to the tune of approximately NZ$20 and absolutely nothing to show for it other than a big headache.
Old May 18th 2011, 7:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Stuffed then.
Old May 18th 2011, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

Wow, thanks Bo-Jangles, much appreciated.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:20 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick333
Could someone in the know advise whether i would have to pay GST and the Customs transaction charge on a golf club from the states valued at US$ 180 or would it pass though without any additional charges. Many thanks in anticipation.
Used to be GST was only collectable if >$50 GST involved, not sure if that is still the case...
Old May 19th 2011, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonsi
Used to be GST was only collectable if >$50 GST involved, not sure if that is still the case...
As bojangles said this is now $60, increased to reflect the increase of GST from 12.5% to 15%. This means the amount you can purchase (ignoring other duties) including delivery stays at NZ$400.
Old May 19th 2011, 6:41 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattandJax
...This means the amount you can purchase (ignoring other duties) including delivery stays at NZ$400.
Ah, that is worth remembering....