Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wardrobes-To Take or Not To Take?!

Wardrobes-To Take or Not To Take?!

Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wardrobes-To Take or Not To Take?!

Got shippers coming to give us quotes. Question: Do we take our wardrobes or not? I have read/heard somewhere that property in NZ tends to come with walk in wardrobes. Am I right or did I make this up?!
If so how common are they - I mean do most properties come with them or not?
Thanks in advance for you replies.
XX
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:30 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wardrobes-To Take or Not To Take?!

Originally Posted by RobDon
Got shippers coming to give us quotes. Question: Do we take our wardrobes or not? I have read/heard somewhere that property in NZ tends to come with walk in wardrobes. Am I right or did I make this up?!
If so how common are they - I mean do most properties come with them or not?
Thanks in advance for you replies.
XX
Hi RobDon,

It will depend on whether you buy/rent a newish house or an older house.

We shipped 7 wardrobes and sold 6 on TradeMe as all our bedrooms have them built in. We kept one for the garage for wetsuits?!

Single bedrooms will have a built in single wardrobe, doubles a built in double.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi RobDon,

It will depend on whether you buy/rent a newish house or an older house.

We shipped 7 wardrobes and sold 6 on TradeMe as all our bedrooms have them built in. We kept one for the garage for wetsuits?!

Single bedrooms will have a built in single wardrobe, doubles a built in double.
Thanks Am Loolah.
I know if we dont bring them we will end up in a property without them and vice versa!!
So its probably easier to bring them and sell them if we dont need them on TradeMe!
XX
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:14 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobDon
Thanks Am Loolah.
I know if we dont bring them we will end up in a property without them and vice versa!!
So its probably easier to bring them and sell them if we dont need them on TradeMe!
XX
If you have the room then that is a good plan - our best wardrobe is busily getting marked and destroyed by the kids in the lounge where it stores games, DVDs and art/craft materals......
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say that from my house-hunting experiences in Rotorua a good 90% or more had built in wardrobes. In the master bedroom those tended to be walk in wardrobes, in the other bedrooms they were just built in cupboards, but still generously enough sized to house my teenage daughter's extensive clothes collection (but not, apparently, her shoes which are to be found all over the house...but that's a whole other story ).

Of course I have to qualify that by saying that I did tend to only view houses that were more modern than "character" and only in certain areas, but generally, and I apologise for the sweeping statement, older properties can bring far more problems in terms of heating & insulation etc than just a lack of wardrobe space.

We brought 2 inexpensive Ikea wardrobes with us...they're both in the garage for storing winter coats, gumboots & the like, and actually have been very useful. But I'd suggest selling some of your wardrobes on ebay before you come over, you'll probably make more from them in England than you would selling them in NZ, just bring one or 2 perhaps in case you need additional storage over here. You'll save on space in the container, so that will bring that cost down a fraction, although to be fair the shippers are great at packing things within things & maximising space that way. Crucially though, save the cash you make from selling your wardrobes over there, so that you can afford to buy new ones over here if necessary

It's worth thinking what kind of housing you're likely to be looking at over here, hard to know without having really viewed a selection of NZ houses of course, but if you're more attracted to the older character property type it might be worth considering bringing those wardrobes...if newer is more your style, then quite honestly I wouldn't bother.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

In our house we house built in wardrobes in every room. You could always buy off Trademe if you need any, but if you have room in your 20ft container put them in. Why don't you leave them until last and if they go in take them.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:40 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you plan on living? I would say most houses would have built in wardrobes (not walk in - although lots would have those at least in their main bedrooms).

HOWEVER, if you plan on living in Wellington I would safely say that a lot of the older properties (and there's a lot here so it's harder to avoid) wouldn't have wardrobes -basically, anything pre 1940.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:43 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring them anyway if you can! then if you don't want them you can sell them ..sweet as
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Please bring them if you can!. you would never know!

My house is very old (one bedroom house) and a built in single wardrobe is far too SMALL for me!!!!!!! I get very VERY ANNOYED everyday by that! Maybe I've got too many clothes & duvets & shoes ???!!! despite am living just on my own!!!!!! theres nobody else living at my place though!!!!

I always think about this: wish I could have a large wardrobe (Solid Oak furniture) http://www.strachan.co.uk/contempora...oom-furniture/

But I just can't do that now!!!! (I do not want to buy CR@P quality expensive NZ furniture!!!! It's just not worth!)

The thing is I have no idea where my life is heading to. am thinking moving back to the UK some time, so I am not buying or investing in property or furniture or anything at the mo. But If I am 100% sure I am going to live here at least next 20 years, then I will go and buy some luxury furniture in UK then will ship to NZ, definitely. I can't live like this forever - it's like a sh!t hall - makes me irritable.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 5th 2009 at 4:21 am.