Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under - NZ

Wanted Down Under - NZ

Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - NZ

I missed the very beginning...did they mention what Visa they were wanting to go in on? Can't have been the LTBV as he was talking about working on minimum wage at a Vineyard, and surely not a SMC either on those terms. Wife wasn't up for teaching either as had 10 month old, just talked about part time teaching....So what Visa????
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:47 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

ok

firstly it's not that I have a hatred of these types of programes more that I see them as a 'holiday' show rather than a reality 'should we move here' thing.

I like EVERY' other person living outside NZ looked for EVERY programe that I could find on NZ recorded it and watched it.Didnt care about the content was just looking at the backgrounds to see cars,streets,glimpses of houses,shops and so on.

My issue with these shows are in part who they choose and in part where and how they portay the place.

so dont stop watching them as they do have some use but take them with a total pinch of salt.

Now

I havnt seen the programe being in NZ but I picked up from the posts here that A:they went to Auckland and B: they had 165 uk pounds equity to bring.

A: why bloody Auckland? Its a bit like every show going to London. Now hang on a mo before you all 'wooden spoon,auckland is crap me!

I realise for some on here thats where the jobs are. but I have to ask what 'type of jobs' IT,Banking high end skills so on so forth. OK i get that as NZ is a small place so certain jobs will require a move to Auckland.

But heck most other people can work all over NZ. teachers,nurses,sparky,trades,drivers and so on in which case why Auckland with is expensive housing overcrowded roads and so on.

Sounds like they stayed in a typical 'holiday palace' rather than an old cold villa! again total un realism.

B: 165 UK POUNDS are you having a laugh. Thats bloody huge amount of dollars to 'start off' with . Even if we just all it $250k thats 1/4 million dollars!

Please get real thats alot of money here!

We came here as a family of six with just $75k dollars and are still here six years later living the life and loving it.

Again it shows me that in the end its down to individual people and expectations that they have. To many think moving here should give them a right to live mortgage free and rich in money terms.

In reality moving here for a majority of people will not offer that scenario but will mean more of the same daily grinds and bills just in a different place,

Thing is this isnt a bad thing it all depends on what you want from life and where you live.

We have an at times stressfull life with bills to pay,cold house to heat,kids to feed and daily grind of running a biz and going to work. We pay a mortgage on a $320k house and all that goes with that.

Point being we are not in money terms any better off here but in lifestyle terms we are far far far better off.

1/4 million dollars is HUGE to come here with and if used wisley would set you up very well here. And from what I read he works 65 hours a day and wants to get away from that. I say let the wife do 65 hours a week for 6 months and see how much she wants to move then!

Sorry this is all over the place but typing as i think it?!

So dont be put off by these shows as IMO they are there to entertain not inform.

Again 1/4 million $'s bloody hell so much money it unreal!

george
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

They were going to use wife's profession for visa if I remember correctly. Did think middle child was a brat, however. Whilst I agree it's easier if all family agree on the move, I don't believe that you can allow a 7 year old to make the decision for you but that's my opinion!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by george toni
they should just call this crap 'holiday down under' IMO as it is about as much use to a potential move here as watching a good holiday show.

Sure it gives breif glimpses of things here but thats about it.

Where do they get these people from. Id say most are just freeloading for a free holiday with no intention of moving here.

george
have to say I fully agree with you. Some time the show only showes you the good points, not what its realy like to spend time in a hotel then start to look and arrange accommodation with not the local knowledge.
We only wish when we left the uk back in 2003 that we had known that a site like this was up and running, how needs the TV. But thats just my view.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:35 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by harrogate girl
We only wish when we left the uk back in 2003 that we had known that a site like this was up and running, how needs the TV. But thats just my view.
When I was researching the areas of NZ as I'd never been before and we were arranging a reccie - I used this site, another site, PM'd people from here at the various areas we'd short listed, read (well devoured) every book on NZ I could lay my hands on, watched every programme on the TV, trawled all the real estate sites etc, even resorted to watching Billy Connely's DVD's!

All valuable research and information for a myriad of reasons - but nothing like actually landing in that plane and facing the "OMG - now what?!" feelings that will happen to most!

My three top tips have always been the same.

1. Research.
2. Research.
3. Research.

Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

NZ features again on Friday 15th Jan @ 10 am.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00q0cly

You'll be pleased to know its Auckland again
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
NZ features again on Friday 15th Jan @ 10 am.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00q0cly

You'll be pleased to know its Auckland again
The last series they always sent people to Dunedin...they didn't like that either
Before you jump, I'm not knocking Dunners, I'd go ANYWHERE in NZ!!
At least this time they are looking at the finances in more detail.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave77
I shall be watching!!

Its in Auckland I believe

Its is, so why Auckland again there are so many places they could go to?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Its is, so why Auckland again there are so many places they could go to?
yeah, why not Wellington?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:56 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
They were going to use wife's profession for visa if I remember correctly. Did think middle child was a brat, however. Whilst I agree it's easier if all family agree on the move, I don't believe that you can allow a 7 year old to make the decision for you but that's my opinion!
given waaaayyyyy to much say on what was going to happen & didnt she know it, cant wait to see how that pans out in 10 yrs time

Dewb
Old Jan 8th 2010, 11:01 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Think its great that they are looking at and factoring finances now that is a good step in the right direction

Some people will just jump on a plane having never been over to NZ and some will research,research, research & well you get my drift.......

Such is life & such are folk, makes for an interesting world!

Dewb (yes am firmly in the research camp!)
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
given waaaayyyyy to much say on what was going to happen & didnt she know it, cant wait to see how that pans out in 10 yrs time

Dewb
She was a very bright seven year old, I loved it when she said "I know that if I say I don't want to go then mummy won't go...." Think it will be interesting when she is a teenager. They gave her far too much power, input yes decision making power NO.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
She was a very bright seven year old, I loved it when she said "I know that if I say I don't want to go then mummy won't go...." Think it will be interesting when she is a teenager. They gave her far too much power, input yes decision making power NO.
She was the smartest out of all of them!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:58 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

bloody stupid giving a seven year old a say in a move like that.

IMO doomed from the start if thats what you base a move like this on.

who they flying here with 'Big Bird airways' all luggage packed in Dora the explorer case staying once here in the Tele Tubbie motel!

There lies the problem with kids today they know it all by the age of 7!

heck in my day you had to be at least ten before you got that status

george
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

The word do describe that little girl is

Precocious - having developed certain abilities or proclivities at an earlier age than usual - hopefully she will grow out of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.