Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Want to watch BBC I-Player?

Want to watch BBC I-Player?

Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of
Default Want to watch BBC I-Player?

Might be of interest to some but i came across this site which gives you a UK IP address which allows you to access BBC I-Player and the like.
Be careful thought coz the daughter blew most of the months Broadband allowance watching eastenders !!

http://www.expatshield.com/

sorry if its old news to some
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Rachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really nice
Default Re: Want to watch BBC I-Player?

Originally Posted by skybluestu
Might be of interest to some but i came across this site which gives you a UK IP address which allows you to access BBC I-Player and the like.
Be careful thought coz the daughter blew most of the months Broadband allowance watching eastenders !!

I have been looking at internet packages to get an idea of costs and was shocked and slightly worried that they have internet allowences, i do alot of downloading in the UK, lots of American shows, does no-one do unlimted downloads?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Rachel
No one does unlimited downloads, we are on a 40MB per month for about $100with telecom. This limit was no problem for video skyping and the kids downloading US programs every night as the download size for the shows was not that large. The only problem came when the daughter watched all the episodes of eastenders she had missed which with video streaming from i-player was in excess of 20MB on one day!!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

we get 20gig a month and its plenty.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:31 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel
No one does unlimited downloads, !!
Not true....Slingshot do

http://www.slingshot.co.nz/Default.aspx?p=264

...and many ISP's zero rate both certain content like You-tube and i-Sky and downloads at night (in the early hours)
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:20 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

CouldnĀ“t get expatshield to work going with a pay-proxy service instead. Even get to watch on the tv via the Wii
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Great link thanks, I got expat shield to work, connected my laptop to the TV and hey presto got a picture BUT NO SOUND FROM TV!!! Help what do I do, not up to date on this technology stuff, sound still coming from laptop. I am running windows 7 on a gateway machine and tv is a flat screen lcd panasonic but the picture is dull, any suggestions greatly appreciated in normal speak please!!!

I also am a member of UK NOVA www.uknova.com which is free but hard to sign up to as limited membership. I download lots of programmes from there to burn if it is a series I like or watch and discard on laptop. However, you have to keep re-seeding stuff which is only fair but it takes up a lot of my 20g broadband. I may consider that slingshot when my contract runs out if I am still watching bbc i-player. Thanks for the link by the way and no I didn't know about it

Last edited by shirl; Jan 14th 2011 at 12:50 am. Reason: wrong link!